Top 5 Non-U2 Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADecentMelody

War Child
Now, I know there's almost too many top 5 posts in here. However, I want you to really dig deep and really think about it before answering. Don't just pick 5 off the top of your head. I'd like you to really ponder this one and come back with your top list of 5 non-U2 songs. Songs that have stood the test of time.

I'm really looking to listening to the songs you list. Here's mine, in no particular order:

• James - Don't Wait That Long. A timeless song for me; ripe with emotion.
  • Mazzy Star - Fade Into You. A beautiful kind of obsession.
  • Psychedelic Furs - The Ghost in You. I remember thinking when I was 11 or 12 that if "falling in love" had a sound it would sound just like this.
  • Coldplay - Yellow. I still can't grow tired of this song. Such a simple love song, yet seems to capture love's characteristics of playfulness and passion at the same time.
  • Bon Jovi - Never Say Goodbye. Had to include it. It was my high school prom song and carries with it some great great memories.

This question is hard! Right now I can only name one and since you said you wanted us to REALLY ponder this that's all I can list now....I'll be back.

*Shine On Your Crazy Diamond-Pink Floyd, a song about Sid Barret that really seems to speak to me about desperate hope

starsgoblue said:
This question is hard! Right now I can only name one and since you said you wanted us to REALLY ponder this that's all I can list now....I'll be back.

I know! It too late to think that hard without getting a major headache!

So...I'll be back too!

R.E.M. - Drive
Nine Inch Nails - Piggy
Pearl Jam - Black
Depeche Mode - Walking In My Shoes

Don't know what I'd pick for #5 without picking a U2 song...

Wilco - Jesus, etc.
Elbow - Red
Super Furry Animals - Tradewinds
Kashmir - Melpomene
King Crimson - Epitaph

Queen: Somebody To Love - Just a fun sing-a-longish type song

Red House Painters: Have You Forgotten - brings back so many memories of just hanging out with friends and having fun in high school

Nada Surf: Why Are You So Mean To Me? - heheh... this was the song that reminds me of my ex-girlfriend, but not because of the title. She and I would always listen to it when we drove somewhere. Deservingly too, as it is a kick-ass song.

Sloan: the Other Man - Just a cool song... very dark sounding

The Smashing Pumpkins: Try Try Try - Very beautiful song

Blondie - Heart of Glass
The Church - Unguarded Moment
Peter Gabriel - Solisbury Hill
Bryan Ferry - Painted Smile
Soft Cell - Tainted Love

I guess. Picking only 5 songs is pretty difficult.

Wonderwall by Oasis
Attached At The Mouth by Loudermilk
8 by Sunny Day Real Estate
Black by Pearl Jam
Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult

Oasis - Stop cryin your heart out
Train - Drops of jupiter
Tupac - Changes
Oasis - Sunday morning call
The Beatles - I am the walrus

i could pick 5 songs now, but i know that in 10 minutes i won't be able to commit to them being my favorites.

it's virtually impossible to pick just 5 songs.

and since this is bang and clatter, the non-u2 music part of the forum, did you really have to specify?

i swear i'm going to go live in IO, i hear there's no u2 allowed around those parts.

:mad:

Hunters and Collectors - Holy Grail
Diesel - Tip of My Tongue
Ray Charles - Shake your Tail Feather
UB40 - Red Red Wine
John Lennon - Imagine

In no particular order and probably only relevant for the next five minutes....

Right now the songs are:

The Happy Mondays- Step On
Muse- Plug In Baby
Oasis- Live Forever
NWA- Express Yourself

and David Bowie- Ashes to Ashes

And alot of the Manics recently

Last edited:
Pearl Jam - Black
Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand
Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
The Stone Roses - I Am the Resurrection
The Cure - A Forest

IWasBored said:
i could pick 5 songs now, but i know that in 10 minutes i won't be able to commit to them being my favorites.

it's virtually impossible to pick just 5 songs.

and since this is bang and clatter, the non-u2 music part of the forum, did you really have to specify?

i swear i'm going to go live in IO, i hear there's no u2 allowed around those parts.

:mad:

Like IWB, I couldn't choose 5 songs either.

ADecentMelody said:
[*]Psychedelic Furs - The Ghost in You. I remember thinking when I was 11 or 12 that if "falling in love" had a sound it would sound just like this.
[*]Bon Jovi - Never Say Goodbye. Had to include it. It was my high school prom song and carries with it some great great memories.
[/list]

I love these two songs! And the Bon Jovi song is a very obscure one at that so it's quite a surprise.

Cheers,

J

beli said:
The Church - Unguarded Moment

Great song! I love this too and brings back personal memories. Would you by any chance have a live version mp3 of this or a video performance of this song?

Cheers,

J

Right now mine would be:

Bob Geldof - I Don't Like Mondays (from the Secret Policeman's Other Ball)

Love Spit Love - Am I Wrong?

Michael Crawford - The Music Of The Night (from original cast recording of Phantom Of The Opera)

Bon Jovi - Never Say Goodbye

The Police - King Of Pain

Subject to change in the next 20 minutes. Perhaps I should start a thread that should expand the list to 20 songs so it can the list can be broadened.

Cheers,

J

doves - satellites (esp the live version) has helped me through some tough times and has made me cry on more than a few occasions.

weezer - island in the sun (always puts a smile on my face)

rem - man on the moon (my fav rem song....i waited 12 years to hear it live and i cried and danced the whole way though it in november)

radiohead - karma police

the last one is a toss up between the verve's lucky man and oasis - don't look back in anger.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:

*Shine On Your Crazy Diamond-Pink Floyd, a song about Sid Barret that really seems to speak to me about desperate hope

Still waiting for the rest... :)

I've had this song for a while, but has somehow neglected it. I listened to all 17 mins 32 secs of it. Thanks for the insight.

Re: Re: Top 5 Non-U2 Songs

jick said:

I love these two songs! And the Bon Jovi song is a very obscure one at that so it's quite a surprise.

Cheers,

J

Yeah, high school memories are somehow the fondest. Anyway, do you have live versions of Never Say Goodbye? The only one I have is by Richie Sabora.

I'm really enjoying everybody's input. Keep 'em comin'! I've listened to quite a bit of what people have listed - if not the whole song, then a snippet from Amazon or iTunes. It's a great way to discover new music.

And for those who want to expand the list, it's easy and safe to come up with 20, etc. However, 5 is definitely the creme de la creme. I had to list out about 11 and then pare them down to 5. It was tough, but we end up with timeless songs.

oh well, this is off the top of my head

Bruce - Thunder Road

Van Morrison - Into The Mystic

Beatles - Yesterday

John Lennon - Imagine

Roy Orbison - Pretty Woman

I'm listing ten, I don't care...I can't do five right now....this list could be different tomorrow...

(in no particular order)

Beatles- All You Need Is Love- pretty universal stuff here....just a great, simple message

Third Eye Blind-Motorcycle Drive-By--I'll probably get crap for this one here, but I listened to this song over and over when I first heard it. It's hard not to sing out loud "I've never been...so...alive!"

INXS-Everything-newcomer to my list...such an uplifting song...this song captures the exact opposite mood than the death of Michael Huthence left us with...

Sting-Fields Of Gold-reminds me of high school...such a sad, beautiful song...

Queen-Innuendo- I hate to have to pick only one Queen song, but this epitomozes all that is Queen..overblown, melancholy, amazing lyrics, vocals, etc....

Peter Gabriel-Solsbury Hill-I still don't know what this song means exactly, but it's so cool...

Sarah McLachlan-Angel-the perfect song to hear when you are alone in the dark....

Stone Temple Pilots-Still Remains-another song that reminds me of those awkward high school years and the blistering hot summers here in Florida.

Tom Petty-Learning To Fly- I think this song made me a Tom Petty fan(it brings back memories)

Pearl Jam-Elderly Woman Behind the Counter In A Small Town-how can you not like this song? I just wanna scream HEEELLLLLOOOOOO!

After writing those down, I've realized that my most of my list is based on one thing...sentimentality...the memories associated with these songs have a lot to do with why they are favorites...

Ok, fine, here are the top 5(in no particular order)
Peter Gabriel-Solsbury Hill
Sarah McLachlan-Angel
Queen-Innuendo
INXS-Everything
Sting-Fields Of Gold

Last edited:
"Wild Horses" - The Rolling Stones
"Sylvia Plath" - Ryan Adams
"Jacksonville Skyline" - Whiskeytown
"Since You're In Love" - Jesse Malin
"Ballerina" - Leona Naess

Back