Top 3 Rock Bands Of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Like the title says, name your top 3 rock bands of all time, with explanations if you please. I'm just providing the studio records as my explanation for each of my choices, because I think the music speaks for itself.

1.The Beatles
Please Please Me
With The Beatles
A Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Help
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band
The White Album
Magical Mystery Tour
Abbey Road
Let It Be

2.U2
Boy
October
War
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Rattle And Hum
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Pop
All That You Can't Leave Behind
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

3.Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
ZOSO
Physical Graffiti
Houses Of The Holy
Presence
Coda
In Through The Out Door

well, I was going to type out a nice reply with explanations, and then I realized I picked the same 3 bands, so I will just say:

DITTO!

Mullen4Prez said:
1.U2
2.REM
3.Queen or Nickelback or Red hot chilli peppers...

Putting Nickelback in the company of U2, REM, Queen, and RHCP is akin to putting Pauly Shore in the company Marlon Brando, Tom Hanks, Sean Penn, Al Pacino, Etc, imo.

namkcuR said:
Like the title says, name your top 3 rock bands of all time, with explanations if you please. I'm just providing the studio records as my explanation for each of my choices, because I think the music speaks for itself.

1.The Beatles
Please Please Me
With The Beatles
A Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Help
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band
The White Album
Magical Mystery Tour
Abbey Road
Let It Be

2.U2
Boy
October
War
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Rattle And Hum
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Pop
All That You Can't Leave Behind
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

3.Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
ZOSO
Physical Graffiti
Houses Of The Holy
Presence
Coda
In Through The Out Door

:up:

I like too many bands of different genres. In terms of explaination I will just provide one for all. Musically, they have impressed me and continue to do so and it's fresh. I don't follow corporate stands of what the best bands are, it is all about personal taste. I'm going to break and provide 5 instead of 3.

1. NIN
2. Bowie
3. U2
4. Depeche Mode
5. The Cure

I'd definitely say the following are the best in my opinion......... Led Zeppelin...Rush...U2...Pink Floyd...The Cure...Puddle Of Mudd.. The Police...UFO...Yes...and The Smashing Pumpkins. These are the "GREAT" rock-n-rollers to me.

"Who's playing now?"

"The Shitty Beatles"

"The Shitty Beatles, how are they?"

"They SUCK!"

"So it's not just a clever name!"

1. Pink Floyd - Because, well, they're quite simply better than U2.
2. U2 - Because, well, they're not quite Pink Floyd.
3. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - The band that had the most influence on guitar rock EVER.

I think most of our answers to this poll will inevitably be our 3 favorite bands, with the stipulation that they are at least somewhat famous (I would not try to claim that Transatlantic is one of the top 3 bands of all-time even though I am a big fan).
With that in mind my top 3 are:

1. Beatles
2. Pink Floyd
3. U2

while I enjoy pink floyd, they are not anywhere near as diverse, accomplished, imitated, and influential as led zeppelin.
zeppelin had better tunes to boot.

okay, let the childish arguing begin.

1. U2 - brilliance counts for more than influence
2. Beatles - gave us rock music as we know it
3. Jethro Tull - forgotten legends

Apologies: Nirvana, Radiohead, Stone Roses, REM, Led Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, Pink Floyd

led zeppelin!

Guns n' Roses!

zunge.jpg

Last edited:
1. The Rollingstones
Aside from licensing too many of their songs for advertisements, still rock legends.

2. The Clash

They also included reggae influences, politically charged lyrics, whose torch U2 obviously relayed and ran with. Too bad they didn't stick it out longer.

3. U2
Actually my favourite rock band ever, but even in a U2 forum, putting them too high should be done with caution.

I'm sure I don't have to explain U2 too much here, but they've stuck it out longer together as a rock band, than those that came before, and their peers (bands that started in late 70's/early 80's)

Never released a "self-titled" album other bands do that, and it's a little annoying, have to refer to an album by it's colour. White album, black album, green album, sheesh, why not just name it after a colour, if you couldn't come up with anything better than naming it after yourself.

The Beatles earlier work was a bit poppy, be honest, even Edge said something like that at the induction of the Clash.

"Top 3 rock bands of all time", not top 3 bands of all time.

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
The Beatles are no rock band... they are a pop band. U2's no rock band... they are a loud folk band.

U2 are a rock band, because of their rhythm section, and whenever Edge decides to get edgy, i.e. ZooTV sydney version of "Bullet."

Listen to the bass and drums on early U2 albums, that's no pop or folk band.

"Like a Song" for example.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom