top 3 POP bands!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
God I hate the word "pop". U2 and the Beatles are not Pop...Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, Kylie Minogue, Celine Dion, Michael Jackson...that's pop. U2 and the Beatles are rock artists, pure and simple.

I agree with LeafsNation...I don't go by the "pop=popular" definition. If that were the case, then "pop" shouldn't even be classified as a genre...it tells absolutely NOTHING about the music! I have the same sentiment towards "Christian" and "Indie" labels.

Catman said:
I agree with LeafsNation...I don't go by the "pop=popular" definition. If that were the case, then "pop" shouldn't even be classified as a genre...it tells absolutely NOTHING about the music! I have the same sentiment towards "Christian" and "Indie" labels.

Putting U2 and the Beatles under the same label as the above mentioned "Pop" artists is a travesty.

If you want to go with "Pop= Popular" then you are putting singles in that category. That would include Dylan because of "Like a Rolling Stone," the rolling stones, the doors, and led zeppelin. all had great selling singles, making them "popular" but none are considered "pop" bands.

I remember around the time All That You Can't Leave Behind was brewing, Bono would go on and on about how pop wasn't a four-letter word and how rock bands should get out there and try to get played on the radio.

I don't see why rock is afraid of popularity. The reason there's so much shit on the radio is partially because the good bands are afraid of being "poppy."

U2 might not be a "pop band," but they've made some brilliant pop. And c'mon, the Beatles wrote some of the best pop songs of all time.

Get over yourselves, guys. Pop isn't just dance music.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom