Top 25 worst movie remakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really, really hated both Godzilla and Planet of the Apes (but never saw either original).

Tim Burton's remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was horrible. It's one thing casting Johnny Depp to play Gene Wilder. What transpired in that film made it ten times worse.

I actually liked the new "The Fog". Not realizing that a quarter of those were remakes makes me feel like an idiot :(

corianderstem said:
I really, really hated both Godzilla and Planet of the Apes (but never saw either original).

The original Planet of the Apes was one of my favorite movies growing up. To see it now, it's obviously a little dated in terms of production but it's still a damn good movie.

The remake was a piece of dung.

Well, they've been making an awful lot of unnecessary and insipid remakes lately. It doesn't surprise me that list is so recent-heavy.

The '90s Psycho isn't that bad, but it's not good either.

It doesn't deserve #1 over Planet of the Apes, Stepford Wives, Down to Earth, et most of them...

The problem with Psycho is that it brings absolutely no originality to it. At least the other films didn't rip off the original shot by shot.
It's just difficult to remake a classic like Psycho.

And Planet of the Apes. I just wrote a term paper about why the new Planet of the Apes sucked so much. I should have done it on Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, or as I like to call it, The Murder of Gene Wilder. :mad:

I don't see why people are so hung up on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Sure it wasn't that good a film but like the Gene Wilder version was an adaptation of an existing book and did Wilder's portrayal no disservice at all.

Anyway, the only one I've seen out of those is 101 Dalmations. I don't remember it being that bad back in the day; a bit slapsticky, Glenn Close was great and Hugh Laurie still used his English accent.

I've seen 11 of the originals though. Charade is one of my favourites.

I'm sure there are countless films that deserve a place on that list over films like Meet Joe Black, Psycho, or The Truth About Charlie, all of which are watchable, even enjoyable films.

PlaTheGreat said:
The problem with Psycho is that it brings absolutely no originality to it. At least the other films didn't rip off the original shot by shot.
It's just difficult to remake a classic like Psycho.

True, but some aspects of the remake were better than the original (William H. Macy, Aragorn, and Robert Forster were all better than their original counterparts). Other than that and the use of color, it's a lame movie, but not as terrible as others on that list. Lack of originality kills it, as does the casting of the 3 most important roles (Anne Heche, Julianne Moore, and Vince fucking Vaughn, what???).

I'd still watch it over the godawful Planet of the Apes remake any day, even if Tim Roth, Paul Giamatti, and Helena Bonham Carter are playing giant fucking monkeys.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory isn't that terrible either for reasons Monkeyskin listed above. Sure the first version was better, but this one is a more faithful adaptation to the source material. I still prefer the psychedelic boat ride and "You lose! Good day, sir!" in the end as well though.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is bad for reasons that have nothing to do with being an adaptation or a remake. It's just horrible.

I feel like the only person alive (especially in my age group) who does not like the Gene Wilder version of the movie. I just didn't like it. :shrug:

I didn't mind the remake; I dug Johnny Depp's take on it. I fast-forwarded through anything having to do with Oompa-Loompas. That helps.

And it's certainly not showing... any signs... that they are slowing!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fucking brilliant to put into a children's film, gave me nightmares for years.

I didn't mind "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", either. It's been AGES since I've seen the original, but from what I recall, I liked that version, too. Meh *Shrugs*.

Seen "City Of Angels", had no idea that was a remake :reject:. I have seen "Godzilla", and yes, that sucked majorly. And I've only seen bits and pieces of the updated "Psycho", but from what I've seen, I'm not interested in seeing more-"Psycho" is one of those movies that is just best left in black and white, it's way more suspenseful that way.

Angela

If you're going to remake Psycho, as bad of an idea as it was, cast a creepy fucking guy as Norman Bates. Ralph Fiennes would've been perfect, then give me some Charlize Theron/Naomi Watts action as the Crane sisters, they're both better actresses than Anne Heche and Julianne Moore (who I'm ashamed was anywhere near my "Best Actresses" list).

The only reason it's watchable is because it's still "Psycho," you know? It made me appreciate the original a lot more.

I love the original Planet of the Apes. I saw the remake twice in one day:ohmy: one just to see it and then a friend wanted to see it so I watched it again..... God what a piece of shit movie it was.

I saw the original Plant of the Apes, with some friends, late at night. Both friends fell asleep, and I stayed up until the end. I remember being very confused by the ending. Also love Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Gene Wilder was the movie.

I also saw both remakes of both movies. I can say that I dislliked both movies. Even though I like Johnny Depp, he just didn't feel right for the movie, I don't know. Plus, he seemed very Michael Jacksonish.

The remake of Plant of the Apes was ok, it just seemed very dark. And the ending was just like.....what?

City of Angels is definitely the most offensive "remake" on that list, if not necessarily the worst film on the list.

monkeyskin said:
I don't see why people are so hung up on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Sure it wasn't that good a film but like the Gene Wilder version was an adaptation of an existing book and did Wilder's portrayal no disservice at all.

I completely disagree. I think the entire thing was an insult to Gene Wilder. Wilder played the role so perfectly, one of my favorite roles ever, regardless of the movie itself. Wilder was perfect. Depp had an impossible task, so he tried to make it unique, but just made it weird. The whole movie was weird. I hated it and got a little freaked out. The original was a good movie with one of my favorite characters ever. The remake just was a terrible idea. If while you're making a remake you realize you need to change a lot up in order to make your unique because the original did very well ... you probably should't be making that remake.

^ I agree.
Not so much with the insult to Gene Wilder. My comment was more tongue in cheek. I also really didn't care if it was more true to the book. The remake of Planet of the Apes was more faithful to the novel than the original was. And the writer of the book actually enjoyed the ending of the original film more than his own version!

I think it really is a testament to Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. I'm going to come out and say it: I can't stand Johnny Depp. He does some really great stuff that amazes me. But when he starts to act weird, just for the sake of being weird, he grates me. Especially when his character becomes the posterboy for Hot Topic for a season or two. "Oh look! Captain Jack Sparrow is weird, JUST LIKE ME. I love him foreververververevrerver!"
I thought the script was shitty too, but no one is going to argue with me on that.
And Tim Burton is just so hit or miss.

I found that Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was so much more a children's film than Charlie and Chocolate Factory. The songs were better, the cast was better (even if they were a bunch of nobodies) and the tone of the story was better.

I still don't understand the mass appeal of Johnny Depp. Sure he can be a solid actor, but what amazing piece of acting has he done in his entire career? Anything, Bueller?

When I watch a movie, it's not for how so-and-so looks on screen; if that were the case, I'd see every Elisha Cuthbert movie ever, but she's a terrible actress who does terrible movies, therefore, if I want to see her, I'll go on YouTube or Google some dirty pictures of her, pure and simple. That's the difference between eye candy and acting ability.

It's just the "pretty-boy" status perpetuating a relatively good actor's way farther than it should go. I'm sure there's a 50-page thread about it somewhere here, but not about Skeet. Poor, poor Skeet. :(

Last edited:
I am soooooo tired of the objectification of actors or actresses by the masses. LMP, I expect better from you than to imply that Ms. Cuthbert has no value beyond her aesthetic value. It's people like you th

cuthbert-1.jpg

Um, what?

LemonMacPhisto said:
I still don't understand the mass appeal of Johnny Depp. Sure he can be a solid actor, but what amazing piece of acting has he done in his entire career? Anything, Bueller?

My guess is, if anything, people'd probably mention something like "Edward Scissorhands" to answer your question.

I don't have a thing for Johnny Depp. I've only seen a few movies he's been in, and they've all been Tim Burton-related to begin with (I just like weird, dark, whimsical stuff, and Burton utilizes all three of those qualities quite often, at least in the few movies of his I've seen). He is a good actor, but he's not the reason I watch movies.

And if some women go gaga over him and choose that as their reason to watch a movie, so be it *Shrugs*. I can't really criticize them, as I've done similar things myself.

Angela

Yeah, Depp's hardly an amazing actor, but he does usually produce quality work. Just never anything I'd truly call great.

I thought he was fantastic in Finding Neverland. And I equally enjoyed him Chocolat and Blow, but neither of those movies come to mind when you think Johnny Depp. That's his problem.

Back
Top Bottom