Top 2005 Sports Moments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best

1. Australia Defeating Uraguay to Qualify for Soccer's World Cup - The First Time in 32 Years

2. The Ashes - Australia Vs England - one of the most memorable Sports' Contests

3. Lance Armstrong winning 7 consecutive Tour De Frances

4. The Sydney Swans defeating the West Coast Eagles in the Australian Football League Grand Final.

5. Australian Andrew Bogut gets drafted at number 1 in the American National Basketball Association

6. Roger Federer - 3 Wimbledons in a Row

7. Fernando Alonso winning the Formula 1 World championship

The Worst
1. The Wallabies losing 8 of 9 Rugby Union tests

2. Australia losing to Bangladesh in a One Day International Cricket Match

3. Zimbabwe's farsical cricket situation

4. American Sprinter Tim Montgomery banned for drug use

The Ashes.

followed closely by Liverpool winning the Champions League

Norwich's relegation

David Nalbandian's defeat of Roger Federer

and of course, Ipswich's tendency to just throw it all away. :happy:

just one fine and superb and unforgettable moment:

ISTANBUL, TURKEY, FOOTBALL UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL:

AC MILAN LOSES THE CUP IN 6 MINUTES WASTING A 3 GOALS ADVANTAGE..........................:drool: :drool: :drool:

how many beers had I that night................................:drunk: :drunk:

INTER INTER INTER INTER INTER, HIT THE GOAL, EMPEROR ADRIANO LEITE RIBEIRO!!!!!!!!! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

CrashedCarDriver said:
The Worst
1. The Wallabies losing 8 of 9 Rugby Union tests

2. Australia losing to Bangladesh in a One Day International Cricket Match

Those were actually two of the best moments. In fact, Australia losing to Bangladesh is one of my favourite moments in cricket's entire history. Absolutely bloody awesome - and hilarious.

My list of the best:
1. New Zealand owning at the rugby (Lions tour, Tri-Nations, Bledisloe, Grand Slam).
2. New Zealand setting the world record for the highest successful one day cricket run chase - and against Australia, no less!
3. Australia losing to Bangladesh.
4. Australia losing the Ashes.
5. Australia just plain sucking at rugby union.

What an awesome year for sport.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Obssessed with the Aussies again, I see, eh, Axver? :wink:

Obsessed with them failing miserably. :drool:

Merry Christmas, Australia! :wave:

babyman said:
just one fine and superb and unforgettable moment:

ISTANBUL, TURKEY, FOOTBALL UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL:

AC MILAN LOSES THE CUP IN 6 MINUTES WASTING A 3 GOALS ADVANTAGE..........................:drool: :drool: :drool:

how many beers had I that night................................:drunk: :drunk:

INTER INTER INTER INTER INTER, HIT THE GOAL, EMPEROR ADRIANO LEITE RIBEIRO!!!!!!!!! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Fuck Inter. I Bianconeri sono i tutti. :sexywink:

1. The Philadelphia Eagles winning the NFC Championship.
2. Going to my first professional sporting event - Philadelphia Phillies vs. Cincinnati Reds, May 13, 2005 at Citizens Bank Park.
3. Liverpool winning the Champions League while I was sick at home.
4. Team Canada winning the World Junior Hockey Championship after 7 years of heartbreak.
5. Team Canada winning the World Cup of Hockey.
6. Team Canada winning the gold medal at the Torino Olympics (yeah, I know, 2006, but it's close enough. :wink: )

Personally, I loved it when the Aussies were beaten by Bangladesh. Sure it was embarrasing, but made for great conversation!

Losing the Ashes may be the greatest gift Ponting could get as a captain, he will learn a lot from it (especially when he chose to bowl at Edgbaston).

I think we're all forgetting the horse that brang U2 to Australia - Makybe Dive. What a mare. Three Melbourne Cup wins in a row, the most recent perhaps the most spectacular.

Also add the most entertaining F1 season for years, and my beloved Geelong getting jibbed in the semi-final.

And then there was the almighty BATHURST 1000 - Skaife won his fifth and Holden 7 on the trot. I had an awesome weekend.

DaveC said:
2. Going to my first professional sporting event - Philadelphia Phillies vs. Cincinnati Reds, May 13, 2005 at Citizens Bank Park.

:up:

in no particular order... if i think of more i'll add 'em

-watching a kid that i've coached and known since he was in 5th grade play his first college basketball game

-the mets trading for carlos delgado

-tiki barber's 200+ yard game vs. the chiefs

-for probably the first time since the mid 80s the teams i root for are populated with young :shocked: futre superstars... david wright, jose reyes, eli manning, jeremy shockey, osi umenyora, channing frye, nate robinson... this may not be much to some, but we don't get to see young players get a chance in new york too often... we normaly just get washed up former stars.

-going to the giants "at" saints game

-sitting at shea stadium watching dae sung koo hit a double off of randy johnson, and then watching him score from second on a blooper to the outfield... top quality unintentional comedy... and to top it off i went to see u2 at madison square garden later that night

-going to see duke play at the garden

-getting to see pedro martinez pitch... for my home team, none the less :wink:

-winning a nice chunk of change off the patriots winning another super bowl :drool:

chizip winning the interference live draft fantasy football league

It was a good year for sport to be fair although I think we could do with a little perspective on the Ashes 'triumph'. As much as it pains me to say England won because a dozy but talented Aussie trod on a ball.
However Liverpool probably rank as the best story of 05, it's an old cliche but if Hollywood had come up with it no one would have bought it, much too 'Roy Of The Rovers'.
Alonso was absolutely immense and didn't get half the credit he deserved whilst Federer could have won Wimbledon with one hand.
Wales thoroughly deserved the Six Nations triumph but the Rugby has to be the biggest disappointment of the year with the Kiwi's non-existent shame threshold.

2005 Orange Bowl... not only did USC blow out Oklahoma but I won a ton of money off that

USC/ND... that was hard to watch but worth it in the end

Tiger at the Masters... That chip shot was unreal (and I really don't like golf)

Niners firing Terry Donahue... what a moron

Bengals behind Carson Palmer winning their division

Okay more moments:

-Game 1 of the World Series being played at Sox Park
-Konerko's and Podsedik's HR's in game 2 of the World Series.
-Illini making to the NCAA Finals
-Tiger winning the Masters.

Best:

no particular order'

Canada winning World Juniors in hockey
Grey Cup 2005
Neither the Yankees or Red Sox making the World Series final
Tiger Woods resurgence
Steve Nash winning NBA MVP
Liverpool win vs AC Milan
return of the NHL after killing one full season because of money
Danica Patrick

worst: The CFL having the Black Eyed Peas play the halftime show, they sucked.

Last edited:
trevster2k said:

worst: The CFL having the Black Eyed Peas play the halftime show, they sucked.

No shit. And to follow the Tragically Hip with the Black Eyed Peas...what in hell was Tom Wright smoking when he approved that one?? :coocoo::tsk:

Chizip said:
chizip winning the interference live draft fantasy football league

personal:

taking first place in the autodraft league and second in the live draft...next year i'll unify the titles.. :wink:

aside from that...

my beloved NE Patriots winning their third Super Bowl in three years...

Lance Armstrong wins 7th Tour De France

the White Sox break their curse by winning the World Series/ the joy of the 'ankees not playng in it (since my Red Sox were eliminated)

Tiger Woods regains his #1 ranking (Masters, baby)

my Pats getting healthy in time to persue their fourth championship in five years...

NHL owners painting "Thank You Fans" on the ice at arenas throughout the league as the season opened...just seeing that makes me know that they have the fans' best interests at heart and the entire cancelled season was all for the fans, as are the high ticket prices and watered down product.
I get teary eyed just thinking about it..."Thank You Fans"...I need a tissue.

Back
Top Bottom