Top 20 albums of the decade so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not really sure how you managed that one, but I'd say you're lucky :wink:

Well, I've seen it being mentioned here in this forum for years! But for some reason I had no interest in finding out what it was. :lol: I usually just stick to allmusic.com for reviews.

I have seen that Onion article before. Hilarious!

Pitchfork can piss me off, but they did do the greatest review ever: Jet: Shine On: Pitchfork Record Review

Lovely! Poor Jet. lol.

Cut down to 20:

Souvenirs d’un autre monde - Alcest
Boxer - The National
Some Cities - Doves
Leaders of the Free World - Elbow
The Stage Names - Okkervil River
Sea Change - Beck
Sound of Silver - LCD Soundsystem
Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea - PJ Harvey
Cease to Begin - Band of Horses
Raising Sand - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
A Weekend in the City - Bloc Party
Neon Bible - Arcade Fire
Combinations - Eisley
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco
Empire - Kasabian
Black Holes & Revelations - Muse
In Rainbows - Radiohead
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - U2
Third (Cannot stop listening to it) - Portishead
In Our Bedroom After the War - Stars

Well, would I rather listen to Jet or get pissed on by a Chimp?

I think it's a difficult decision. At least the latter only lasts a matter of seconds.

The songs that I've heard from Shine On are all better than anything I've heard from Get Born.....just from what I've heard anyway.

Pitchfork can piss me off, but they did do the greatest review ever: Jet: Shine On: Pitchfork Record Review

I'd say that that's the second-best review of which I can think, off the top of my head. Here's the best:

Weezer :: Make Believe / Cokemachineglow.com :: Record Review

Here's the third-best:

Tiny Mix Tapes Reviews: Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth

And if you go to Playlouder (I can't, since I'm on an office computer, at work) and look for their review of the (awful, awful, awful) Editors album from last year, An End Has a Start, you will find one of the most hyperbolically and (in my opinion) wrongly enthusiastic reviews of a record which you will ever see. It is beyond spectacular to read, whether you love, hate, or are generally indifferent to the record in question. Fucking fuck, what a review. Maybe the best pull-quote I've ever read:

"This album is fucking brilliant – it made me want to cut my hair, paint the ceiling, fuck the postman and burn the disco down. So I did. Then I curled up in a corner, cried, and shat myself."

I'd say that that's the second-best review of which I can think, off the top of my head. Here's the best:

Weezer :: Make Believe / Cokemachineglow.com :: Record Review

Here's the third-best:

Tiny Mix Tapes Reviews: Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth

And if you go to Playlouder (I can't, since I'm on an office computer, at work) and look for their review of the (awful, awful, awful) Editors album from last year, An End Has a Start, you will find one of the most hyperbolically and (in my opinion) wrongly enthusiastic reviews of a record which you will ever see. It is beyond spectacular to read, whether you love, hate, or are generally indifferent to the record in question. Fucking fuck, what a review. Maybe the best pull-quote I've ever read:

"This album is fucking brilliant – it made me want to cut my hair, paint the ceiling, fuck the postman and burn the disco down. So I did. Then I curled up in a corner, cried, and shat myself."

The NIN one made me laugh the most.

Remember CD players? Me neither, but I found one in the corner of my room under a pile of women's clothing and a broken guitar. And that was fortunate because I needed one to listen to 'An End Has A Start', because it's copy protected to the max. More fool Sony, because it's just under 45 minutes – the perfect length to fit on a cassette. Remember cassettes? Me neither, but 'Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors' is the mother of all opening tracks, with pounding drums that say "Come and have a go" better than any cannon, an organ pacing its way to the inevitable screeching guitars that you know will be the weight behind this album's punch, and a curious invitation to "Pull the blindfold down / so your eyes can't see / now run as fast as you can / through this field of trees."

Hell yeah! I never knew I wanted to do that before! More than anything! And already I'm warming to what I thought would be an underwhelming second album from these unlikely Brummies, who've been swinging their thing from here to Frisco, selling as quickly and as quietly as the hottest of hotcakes.

'An End Has a Start' now seems a cold and foreboding headline, rather than the album-title-generator-bullshit it could pass for in the wrong hands. It's a credit to Editors that they can slip snippets of lyrical clout like so many pills into your gaping maw until you realise its call-the-doctor-or-21-grams-in-your-shorts time. We've all been there and it ain't pretty. "In the end all you can hope for / is the love you felt to equal the pain you've gone through". Ditto (no Beth), and moreover, who, in this day and age, doesn't agree with, "How can you know what things are worth / if your hands won't move to do a days work?"

Take the time to get to know this. There are sweeping epics clocking in at just under five minutes, and tense, urgent songs-to-be-shot-in-the-face-to, clocking in at... just under five minutes. Despite the seemingly limited scope of the Editors sound, their craftsmanship, the watertight production, and Tom Smith (surely a pseudonym)'s just-this-side-of-spiteful snarl makes for an album's worth of triumphs. At times it feels akin to being in a really good Sci-Fi movie: there are political overtones in amongst the personal paranoia. In fact, there's such a smog cloud of apocalyptic sorrow weighing down on this album that it makes it difficult to believe it's from the same world, let alone time zone, let alone time, as the wanky shenanigans of, say, The Fratellis. I know who I want on my billboards; this album is fucking brilliant – it made me want to cut my hair, paint the ceiling, fuck the postman and burn the disco down. So I did. Then I curled up in a corner, cried, and shat myself.

In no order....

1- Doves- Lost Souls
2- Arcade Fire- Funeral
3- Syd Matters- Syd Matters
4- Bloc Party- Silent Alarm
5- Beach House- Beach House
6- Beck- Sea Change
7- Blonde Redhead- Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons
8- Broken Social Scene- You Forgot It In People
9- Emily Haines -Knives Don't Have Your Back
10-Liars- Drum's Not Dead
11-The National- Boxer
12-Radiohead- Kid A
13-Radiohead- Amnesiac
14-Radiohead- In Rainbows
15-A Northern Chorus- The Millions Too Many
16-Sigur Ros- Takk
17- Wilco- A Ghost is Born
18- Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19- Coldplay- Parachutes
20- The Besnard Lakes- The Besnard Lakes

and thanks for the lists, I always find great new music

at the drive-in relationship of command
beck - sea change
bright eyes- i'm wide awake its morning
coldplay- a rush of blood to the hear
girls against boys- you can't fight what you can't see
joseph arthur- nuclear daydream
kings of leon- because of the times
m ward- transistor radio
manchester orchestra- like a virgin losing a child
modest mouse- good news for people who love bad news
nada surf- proximity effect
portishead- third
queens of the stone age- rated r
queens of the stone age- songs for the deaf
radiohead- kid a
radiohead- in rainbows
sad accordions- a bad year for the sharons
sufjan stevens- Illinoise
flaming lips- yoshimi battles the pink robots
secret machines- now here is nowhere
the strokes- is this it
tool- 10,000 days
u2- atyclb
u2- bomb
wilco- yankee hotel foxtrot
wilco- sky blue sky

(sorry my top 25)

OK, after finally listening to Doves' The Last Broadcast, I think my list may need some editing soon. :love: We'll see how it ages for me, but man, that record is brilliant.

I still don't quite get how you need Pitchfork to find the stuff you really like. I mean, if you really like something, you can remember that, right?

Pitchfork is a great place to discover new bands I've never heard of. That's why.

Any love for Dismemberment Plan's Change record? Cracking band, and it's the only proper album they've released so far this decade. It's a good one too.

Any love for Dismemberment Plan's Change record? Cracking band, and it's the only proper album they've released so far this decade. It's a good one too.

I believe I had it in the bulky version of my list.

Responding to my Top 20 not being as indie as expected or whatever, it still has stuff like Sufjan, I'm From Barcelona, The Pipettes and Beulah all of which 99% of Interferencers have never listened to an entire album from. If you took away Arcade Fire opening for U2, I'm sure they'd be lumped in the same category, excepting Canadian users.

As for #1 being a U2 album...whatever. I disagree with the point though that Stuck In A Moment is even remotely Adult Contemporary-ish. It's one of their boldest tracks of this decade and an excellent, out of the ordinary pop tune. I have no idea why that album is considered "mellow" by so many when HTDAAB has far more tracks that veer into the A&C radio category.

I dunno...Some Cities just sounds like Coldplay with better lyrics to me. :shrug: It's airy, lacks an edge, and so on, but the songs are pretty damn good. Last Broadcast is fucking awesome; you never know what to expect from song to song. Its only weakness is how ridiculously overlong it is, but the quality of the music easily makes up for that.

I believe I had it in the bulky version of my list.

Responding to my Top 20 not being as indie as expected or whatever, it still has stuff like Sufjan, I'm From Barcelona, The Pipettes and Beulah all of which 99% of Interferencers have never listened to an entire album from. If you took away Arcade Fire opening for U2, I'm sure they'd be lumped in the same category, excepting Canadian users.

and you know this...how? did you take a poll?

I can't say about the others, but I can almost certainly assure you more than 1% of Interference has listened to an entire Sufjan album.

I dunno...Some Cities just sounds like Coldplay with better lyrics to me. :shrug: It's airy, lacks an edge, and so on, but the songs are pretty damn good. Last Broadcast is fucking awesome; you never know what to expect from song to song. Its only weakness is how ridiculously overlong it is, but the quality of the music easily makes up for that.

I loves me all three, bottom line. BOTTOM LINE. And please do not mention Coldplay cos it might summon Rob33 or something.

Back
Top Bottom