Top 20 albums of the decade so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't stand the Strokes to be honest, though I did have a soft spot for The End Has No End.

Heart In A Cage is very average, but I gotta say Last Nite is arguably the most cringeworthily overhyped song the decade for me, along with Jet's Are You Gonna Be My Girl and White Stripes' Seven National Army, but that's just me. All are ghastly.

Az Yet's Last Night was even better than that particular Strokes offering. I have only heard Strokes singles though.

1. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
2. Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
3. Travis - The Invisible Band
4. Radiohead - In Rainbows
5. Radiohead - Kid A

In no order:

Bloc Party - Weekend In The City
Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
REM - Reveal
Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth
Motor Ace - Animal
U2 - How To Dismantle Atomic Bombs
Editors - End Has A Start
Josh Pyke - Memories & Dust
Interpol - Our Love To Admire
Lily Allen - Alright, Still
Expatriate - In The Midst Of This
Morrissey - You Are The Quarry
U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
Keane - Hopes & Fears
Ian Brown - Music Of The Spheres

Not in any order:

U2 - ATYCLB
Metallica - St Anger
Green Day - American Idiot
Keane - Hopes & Fears
Bruce Springsteen - Magic
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
David Gilmour - On An Island
Manic Street Preachers - Send Away The Tigers
Iron Maiden - Brave New World
System Of A Down - Toxicity
Muse - Absolution
Nas - Stillmatic
Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II
Cradle Of Filth - Damnation And A Day
Silverchair - Diorama
Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
Slipknot - Iowa
Black Label Society - 1919 Eternal
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
Ozzy Osbourne - Down To Earth

I'm sure I'll forget something, but here goes, in no particular order:

U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Muse - Absolution
PJ Harvey - White Chalk
PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
Sleater-Kinney - One Beat
Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus
Sparklehorse - It's a Wonderful Life
Kate Bush - Aerial
Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
White Stripes - Icky Thump
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Lisa Gerrard & Patrick Cassidy - Immortal Memory
Beth Gibbons & Rustin' Man - Out of Season
Cat Power - You Are Free
M.I.A. - Kala
The Drones - Gala Mill
Bjork - Vespertine
Manu Chao - Esperanza

I can't order them so here they are alphabetically:

Aimee Mann – Lost In Space
Air – Talkie Walkie
Arcade Fire – Funeral
Beck – Sea Change
Coldplay – A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Death Cab For Cutie – Transatlanticism
Doves – Some Cities
Elliot Smith – From A Basement On The Hill
Iron & Wine – Our Endless Numbered Days
Muse – Black Holes And Revelations
Radiohead – Kid A
Radiohead – Amnesiac
Ryan Adams And The Cardinals – Cold Roses
The Shins – Wincing The Night Away
Sigur Ros – Takk…
Spoon – Gimme Fiction
Travis – The Invisible Band
U2 – All That You Can’t Leave Behind
VAST – Nude
Zero 7 – Simple Things

It's been a great decade thus far:

In alphabetical order:

13 Truly Great Albums:
Arcade Fire - Funeral (2005)
Beirut - Gulag Orkestar (2006)
The Jimmy Cake - Spectre and Crown (2008)
Joanna Newsom - Ys (2006)
Lambchop - AwCmon (2004)
Radiohead - Kid A (2000)
Radiohead - In Rainbows (2007)
Richmond Fontaine - The Fitzgerald (2005)
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Jacksonville City Nights (2005)
The Strokes - Is This It (2001)
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois (2005)
This Will Destroy You - This Will Destroy You (2008)
TV On The Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain (2006)

7 Honourable Mentions:
Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood (2003)
Laura Veirs - Saltbreakers (2007)
The National - Boxer (2007)
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker (2000)
Ryan Adams - Love is Hell (2003)
Sigur Ros - Takk... (2005)
Tinariwen - Aman Iman: Water Is Life (2007)

I'm going to stick with one per artist/band.

1. How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
2. American Life-Madona
3. A Rush of Blood to the Head-Coldplay
4. Neon Bible- Arcade Fire
5. American Idiot-Green Day
6. The Rising-Bruce Springsteen
7. Modern Times-Bob Dylan
8. Continuum-John Mayer
9. Hopes and Fears-Keane
10. Eyes Open-Snow Patrol
11. A Bigger Bang-The Rolling Stones
12. College Drop-Out-Kanye West
13. Back to Black-Amy Winehouse
14. Hot Fuss- The Killers
15. Stripped-Christina Aguilera
16. Endless Wire-The Who
17. Eye to the Telescope-KT Tunstall
18. Corinne Bailey Rae-Corinne Bailey Rae
19. Stadium Arcadium-Red Hot Chili Peppers
20. Afterglow- Sarah McLachlan

in order (though of course open to some change)

01. Brian Wilson - Smile
02. U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
03. Frank Zappa - FZ:OZ (posthumous release)
04. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Ease Down the Road
05. Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
06. Quasimoto - The Further Adventures of Lord Quas
07. Ryan Adams - Gold
08. Lindsey Buckingham - Under the Skin
09. Belle & Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress
10. Mr. Hudson & The Library - A Tale of Two Cities
11. AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip
12. The Shins - Chutes too Narrow
13. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free
14. Tindersticks - Can our Love
15. Joanna Newsom - Ys
16. The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
17. The Notwist - Neon Golden
18. Antony & The Johnsons - I am a Bird Now
19. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
20. Lucinda Williams - World Without Tears

Honorable mentions:
Rufus Wainwright - Poses
Robert Wyatt - Comicopera

I didn't take into consideration 2008 albums cause I can't rate them yet:
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!
Portishead - Third
Bonny 'Prince' Billy - Lie Down in the Light

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Hraven (2000)
best.album.ever

also:

The Arcade Fire - Funeral
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
Antony and the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now
Morrissey - You Are the Quarry

and many more

Hooray! Another thread full of RH worshipping. I love them but this is just ridiculous Kid A is their Zooropa, yet they get far more credit for their "bold move" than U2 ever will. I guess I just miss their true rock sound of The Bends and OK Computer. Anyway, I'd have to think about this long and hard, but while rock is my main genre, these lists do not extend far into the vast reaches of music. Plus no mentions of Bloc Party, Explosions in the Sky or Mogwai, people here are missing out on the best music (particularly when things like Avril Lavigne are mentioned :doh:)

I can't stand the Strokes to be honest, though I did have a soft spot for The End Has No End.

Heart In A Cage is very average, but I gotta say Last Nite is arguably the most cringeworthily overhyped song the decade for me, along with Jet's Are You Gonna Be My Girl and White Stripes' Seven National Army, but that's just me. All are ghastly.

Az Yet's Last Night was even better than that particular Strokes offering. I have only heard Strokes singles though.

Same here. I really don't like much of them, but "The End Has No End" is one of the most addictive songs of the decade.

Hooray! Another thread full of RH worshipping. I love them but this is just ridiculous Kid A is their Zooropa, yet they get far more credit for their "bold move" than U2 ever will. I guess I just miss their true rock sound of The Bends and OK Computer. Anyway, I'd have to think about this long and hard, but while rock is my main genre, these lists do not extend far into the vast reaches of music. Plus no mentions of Bloc Party, Explosions in the Sky or Mogwai, people here are missing out on the best music (particularly when things like Avril Lavigne are mentioned :doh:)

where is your list?

Hooray! Another thread full of RH worshipping. I love them but this is just ridiculous Kid A is their Zooropa, yet they get far more credit for their "bold move" than U2 ever will. I guess I just miss their true rock sound of The Bends and OK Computer.

But I'm sure Zooropa is well respected by the same people who love Kid A. From what I have seen Zooropa doesn't get respect only from those fans who were absolutely delighted when U2 went back to basics with ATYCLB, the same people who felt alienated/weirded out by Zooropa and Pop. I mean, I love Bends and OK too but this thread is about the 00s. That's why we're talking about Kid A and beyond. I guess I don't get your complaint. :huh:

Avril was mentioned, by me, with a wink and a tongue in my cheek.

The End Has No End is not even close to the best or "most addicting" Strokes song.

20 years from now, Is This It will be universally recognized as a lasting and important effort in modern rock and roll.

You all will see. Oh yes, you will see. Be afraid, be very afraid.

I love Is This It! Listened to it again last night after several months. Loved it from start to finish!

Take It Or Leave It :rockon:

But I'm sure Zooropa is well respected by the same people who love Kid A. From what I have seen Zooropa doesn't get respect only from those fans who were absolutely delighted when U2 went back to basics with ATYCLB, the same people who felt alienated/weirded out by Zooropa and Pop. I mean, I love Bends and OK too but this thread is about the 00s. That's why we're talking about Kid A and beyond. I guess I don't get your complaint. :huh:

Ah, what I was trying to say is while I like Radiohead a lot, I've found their output this decade to be far less compelling from a song-writing perspective, it sounds cool and all but doesn't impress me the way those albums did, I just think they get far too much hype these days...while still being a pretty big fan haha. As for Zooropa being respected by Kid A fans? I'd guess a majority of RH fans are younger and probably haven't listened to it even if they like U2, but as with a lot of modern bands influenced by U2, their fans don't necessarily see this or respect it.

The End Has No End is not even close to the best or "most addicting" Strokes song.

This coming from someone who is obviously more of a fan, whereas for me that's the only song by them I really enjoy listening to, I made no use of the word "best" because I don't listen to them enough to judge them critically.

Ah, what I was trying to say is while I like Radiohead a lot, I've found their output this decade to be far less compelling from a song-writing perspective, it sounds cool and all but doesn't impress me the way those albums did, I just think they get far too much hype these days...while still being a pretty big fan haha. As for Zooropa being respected by Kid A fans? I'd guess a majority of RH fans are younger and probably haven't listened to it even if they like U2, but as with a lot of modern bands influenced by U2, their fans don't necessarily see this or respect it.

I'll bet sugary pap like Stuck In A Moment and Wild Honey have something to do with that lack of respect.

Perhaps...but I doubt those people know those tracks either, just the singles. Anyway...put this back on track and not steer this towards RH discussion as there is enough of that in other threads haha.

My list would have to include
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place
Bloc Party - A Weekend in the City/Silent Alarm
The National - Alligator/Boxer
Snow Patrol - Final Straw

and a whole bunch more I'll get back to, I was reading and just came in for a quick browse and now I've been sucked in, sigh.

In no particular order:

Radiohead: In Rainbows
Radiohead: Kid A
U2: All That You Can't Leave Behind
Robert Plant: Mighty Rearranger
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss: Raising Sand
Damien Rice: O
The Who: Endless Wire
White Stripes: Icky Thump
Bruce Springsteen: Magic
Ryan Adams: Love Is Hell
Morrissey: You Are the Quarry
Arcade Fire: Funeral
Elton John: Songs from the West Coast
David Gray: White Ladder

I suppose that the Kid A / Zooropa debate does not need to be continued, but Kid A seems to me at least to be much more adventurous than Zooropa. As I much as I enjoy the latter, the likes of "Stay" and "The First Time," among others, are rather safe. There is nothing on Zooropa approaching the eccentricity of an "Idioteque" or "Morning Bell."

The major accomplishment of Radiohead has been to blend the more challenging elements of their sound with the relative accessibility of earlier albums like The Bends, which, in my opinion, In Rainbows does astoundingly well. U2 has yet to achieve that fusion - and it seems as though many fans are hoping that the impending album does.

I mentioned Bloc Partay.

I view Pop as U2's Kid A, Zooropa for me is more of an extension or twisted detour from what was explored in Achtung Baby. Pop is something else altogether.

Back
Top Bottom