Top 20 albums of the decade so far? - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #241
The Male

Local Time: 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicBono View Post
and you know this...how? did you take a poll?

I can't say about the others, but I can almost certainly assure you more than 1% of Interference has listened to an entire Sufjan album.
I've listened to more than one, actually.

Been meaning to check out Beulah's The Coast Is Never Clear for a while now.

Now.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #242
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I dunno...Some Cities just sounds like Coldplay with better lyrics to me.
Bite your tounge!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #243
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:02 AM
Quote:
and you know this...how? did you take a poll?

I can't say about the others, but I can almost certainly assure you more than 1% of Interference has listened to an entire Sufjan album.
I've listened to TWO whole Suffy albums and liked them (Illinois, Seven Swans). Do I get an indietastic ribbon of some sort?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #244
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
I've listened to TWO whole Suffy albums and liked them (Illinois, Seven Swans). Do I get an indietastic ribbon of some sort?
You do if you listen to Michigan. That's probably his best IMO.

Now.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #245
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
You do if you listen to Michigan. That's probably his best IMO.
I've got scattered tracks from there, not a whole album though.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #246
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
I've got scattered tracks from there, not a whole album though.
Do you have Detroit? Man, that's one cracking choon.

Now.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #247
Blue Crack Supplier

Would it be a good idea to tack a few Sufjan albums to my over-growing "albums to listen to" list?
Old 06-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #248
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Would it be a good idea to tack a few Sufjan albums to my over-growing "albums to listen to" list?
I feel that Illinois is way too long for its own good (around 74 minutes, I think), but there are some brilliant songs on it. Come On! Feel The Illinoise!, Chicago, Jacksonville, Decatur, etc.

Now.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #249
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:02 PM
not that I would take a stand against senselessly bashing some poor poster, but this thread confuses me
I thought it was quite obvious that BigMacphisto's point was that the sheer availability of music makes this a fantastic decade for music
not necessarely so much the actual output compared to other decades
I'm not sure I agree 100% of this (as overkill threatens and some other side effects are pretty gruesome too) but I don't see the need to treat him as a 3 year old because of this statement

also, as much as it is a great sentiment that taste is subjective
I read some quite incredible statements in this thread that would almost make me wonder

lastly
I also enjoy Metacritic as I don't have the time to read every music mag
The Word is enough
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #250
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
not that I would take a stand against senselessly bashing some poor poster, but this thread confuses me
I thought it was quite obvious that BigMacphisto's point was that the sheer availability of music makes this a fantastic decade for music
I'm not sure I agree 100% of this (as overkill threatens and some other side effects are pretty gruesome too) but I don't see the need to treat him as a 3 year old because of this statement
Actually, he said that there are far more great albums per year than ever before so, yes, he does believe that the general output is superior, something I couldn't possibly agree with.

Now.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #251
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
Well, it's not just that, which is a subjective point anyone can agree or disagree with. it was his condescending attitude towards other members, implying that they somehow weren't qualified to post lists because clearly they don't listen to enough music from this decade as their lists included "mainstream" albums.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Well, it's not just that, which is a subjective point anyone can agree or disagree with. it was his condescending attitude towards other members, implying that they somehow weren't qualified to post lists because clearly they don't listen to enough music from this decade as their lists included "mainstream" albums.
Exactly. I was going to post my own Top 20, but I didn't particulary feeling like being condescended to for having an album or two by Bruce Springsteen on it. Then again, anyone who would look down on me for including albums by one of the greatest American recording artists of the past four decades isn't really worth listening to, right? So I'm going to go ahead and make a list and post it.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:49 AM   #253
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono's shades View Post
Exactly. I was going to post my own Top 20, but I didn't particulary feeling like being condescended to for having an album or two by Bruce Springsteen on it. Then again, anyone who would look down on me for including albums by one of the greatest American recording artists of the past four decades isn't really worth listening to, right? So I'm going to go ahead and make a list and post it.
go for it

come on, mine had linkin park

also the whole "omg only 1% of interference has listened to sufjan" or whatever is complete bullshit. sufjan isnt that fucking unheard of. he was on the OC soundtrack for chrissakes (which the OC soundtrack is actually kind of amazingly good. I've never watched the show, but...)

also i can't really get into sufjan I've tried. I like some songs, but I can't stand the song Chicago. I really can't. It's so upbeat and annoying. Some of his more low key stuff is good, though.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 AM   #254
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
go for it

come on, mine had linkin park

also the whole "omg only 1% of interference has listened to sufjan" or whatever is complete bullshit. sufjan isnt that fucking unheard of. he was on the OC soundtrack for chrissakes (which the OC soundtrack is actually kind of amazingly good. I've never watched the show, but...)

also i can't really get into sufjan I've tried. I like some songs, but I can't stand the song Chicago. I really can't. It's so upbeat and annoying. Some of his more low key stuff is good, though.
I tried listening to Sujfan Stevens too after hearing him praised to the skies on here and other places, and I honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:05 AM   #255
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono's shades View Post
I tried listening to Sujfan Stevens too after hearing him praised to the skies on here and other places, and I honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about.
I really don't either, but he has some wonderful songs. He just needs an editor.

Now.