Top 20 albums of the decade so far? - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2008, 12:47 AM   #151
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Huh? Hate to be tangential to the firestorm, but who the fuzz is Daughtry? I don't live in an English-speaking country, and even when I did, I didn't listen to the radio for more than 90 seconds, from 2002 and on. And I didn't have cable, either. I've never had access to anything even vaguely MTV-esque. Fill a brother in, son/daughter.
One of the contestants on American Idol who's had a string of radio rock hits. Not a fan, but my friends like him.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 12:47 AM   #152
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,255
Local Time: 10:20 AM
Quote:
But how do you know you've heard more?
Because I listen to over 150 albums a year. And absolutely none of those are ones I already know suck (i.e. practically everything on a major label that wasn't on an indie one beforehand). Someone listing Coldplay, The Killers and the Boss in their list could not have heard that many albums from this decade. Sorry, but nobody I know who listens to the stuff of Pitchfork chucks those acts into their yearly lists. Go take a look at the MetaCritic annual user lists if you don't believe me. Those are people like me that listen to a bajillion albums a year and are very knowledgeable about popular music and its history.

Quote:
One of the contestants on American Idol who's had a string of radio rock hits. Not a fan, but my friends like him.
For the record, I don't listen to the radio. I heard half a Daughtry song when my sister put a cable music channel on. The fact that they happen to be the best selling rock act at the moment makes me oh-so-sick. That sort of shit would've been openly mocked at even 5 years ago. Problem is ClearChannel one-day decided to continually compartmentalize rock radio until only bands that were LOUD and usually pretty dumb would receive airplay. Once listeners became accustomed to this, they pretty much reject anything else that would attempt to get airplay on the format because they associate Zeppelin as the gods of rock and these modern riff heavy weaklings as continuing the tradition. It's exactly the reason why U2's singles do so poorly here on rock radio. Which two did the best last time? Vertigo, followed by ABOY. Hmm.....
__________________

__________________
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 12:48 AM   #153
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I wasn't commenting on your point, I was judging your personality.

You've been found ... wanting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
I didn't have the Interpol albums on my Ipod for some reason and confused that album with Antics. That's the one I meant to list. I always adore it when I listen to it but forget about it immediately after. Deserving of listage in everyone's Top 100 of the decade at least. Not really sure what a U2 fan would find to object to with it.

And for crying out loud, I was not implying that taste isn't subjective. I was implying that some people here have pretty uninformed ears and haven't listened to a lot of modern music. Any list without anything indie isn't a coincidence and the user didn't like any of it. They obviously haven't listened to it.

Also, there is the factor of broadening your horizons. Practically everyone starts out really liking a sort of meat-and-potatoes rock band and expands from there. The more acts you listen to, the more you'll like and the more flavors you'll grow to like. Hell, Interpol (coming back to them) is one of about a half dozen artists I heard and went "hmph"....hundreds of other albums later, they make me wet.

I dunno. I just find it incredibly insulting that people would list a hardly innovative Springsteen record like The Rising as one of the decade's best. That's like saying the current crop is so watered down and icky that someone in their decline phase is better than most of it.




What did you think I was responding to? I gave you my reason why I lashed out like I did and received a comment on my personality. It had to be done. It's the same shit film critics get, being called "an elitist douchebag" by many...that's complete bollocks to say the least. Film critics have seen thousands of movie and your average filmgoer sees a half-dozen in theatres per year, most of them action fueled blockbusters. And then the masses complain when one of the one movies they saw had mediocre reviews or when the Oscars nominate "movies I've never heard of"...when it comes to music, it's the same thing. I get called an elitist for having liked, say, The Stars. But the truth is, I am more knowledgeable than most of you because I have heard way more. Two reasons, one - those that hear more have a wider pool to sift from rather than some of the lists of users here who I doubt have heard anywhere close to even a hundred albums this decade. Secondly, hearing more means you know more about quality and have higher standards. If you listen to six albums a year, you'll hold the ones you liked in pretty high contention similar to a six year old liking every movie they see. In all honesty, the thread title alone steered most of the Interference users away from it as I can attest from other posts that 90% of the people here really don't know anything about modern music aside from whatever's on the radio, has a U2 connection (see Arcade Fire) or is connected to another mainstream act with critical credibility (i.e. Radiohead fans hearing Yorke rave about Sigur Ros).

Anyway, quit saying I'm trying to be a taste maker or judging the opinions of others. I'm not. I'm just arguing that a lot of people making lists hardly have the same background as some of the others here. This in turn personally irks me when the music of people my age is continually trashed because the posters here equate the rock of the 00's with Linkin Park, Maroon 5, Nickelback or Daughtry.



I agree with this sentiment but it wasn't exactly a roll down the mountain () was another fantastic album, a classic of lesser scale. Takk was a pretty good album and so is the new one.

I would like to use BigMacPhisto's above post as confirmation that my quoted post is a "hole-in-one". Can I get an official ruling on this?
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 12:55 AM   #154
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,255
Local Time: 10:20 AM
What's your problem? It's a message board and people express opinions. I didn't flame anyone, post incomprehensibly or in an off the topic manner. All I did was give my opinion that some people here are less informed when it comes to modern music and the ones that jumped on me the hardest where mostly those befitting of such a category. Frankly, I don't see why you have to try and make it personal and say my personality is that of a douchebag when outside of this thread I'm positive nobody who knows me closely has ever seen me in such a light. Add to the actual discussion or don't post at all. Or better yet, you can flame me via PM.
__________________
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 12:58 AM   #155
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
All I did was give my opinion that some people here are less informed when it comes to modern music and the ones that jumped on me the hardest where mostly those befitting of such a category.
Rule of thumb: You can think you're better, more knowledgeable, or more talented than someone else, but you should never say it (regardless of its truthfulness), especially if you don't want to come across as an arrogant douchebag.


I'm not upset with you, BTW. That's just a logical piece of advice in general.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 12:58 AM   #156
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
What's your problem? It's a message board and people express opinions. I didn't flame anyone, post incomprehensibly or in an off the topic manner. All I did was give my opinion that some people here are less informed when it comes to modern music and the ones that jumped on me the hardest where mostly those befitting of such a category. Frankly, I don't see why you have to try and make it personal and say my personality is that of a douchebag when outside of this thread I'm positive nobody who knows me closely has ever seen me in such a light. Add to the actual discussion or don't post at all. Or better yet, you can flame me via PM.
I jumped on you and you don't know a blessed thing about my musical tastes.

You make it personal when you call people's taste or knowledge out, so, grow some thicker skin and be prepared for a rebuttal instead of feigning innocence. As you said, this is a message board.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #157
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
What's your problem? It's a message board and people express opinions. I didn't flame anyone, post incomprehensibly or in an off the topic manner. All I did was give my opinion that some people here are less informed when it comes to modern music and the ones that jumped on me the hardest where mostly those befitting of such a category. Frankly, I don't see why you have to try and make it personal and say my personality is that of a douchebag when outside of this thread I'm positive nobody who knows me closely has ever seen me in such a light. Add to the actual discussion or don't post at all. Or better yet, you can flame me via PM.
But you are insulting everyone by saying they can't be right about a subjective topic if they haven't listened to everything else out there. Once that attachment to an album or band is there, people may find other things to like, but that shouldn't diminish their opinion of their preconceived favorite.

For the record, I've heard a great deal of the ones you mentioned, and if I wanted to list more than 20, as the title doesn't suggest, then they might've made the list, too. I'm not gonna speak condescendingly to everyone that disagrees, however, unless you use the word "cracking" regularly.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:02 AM   #158
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
What's your problem? It's a message board and people express opinions. I didn't flame anyone, post incomprehensibly or in an off the topic manner. All I did was give my opinion that some people here are less informed when it comes to modern music and the ones that jumped on me the hardest where mostly those befitting of such a category. Frankly, I don't see why you have to try and make it personal and say my personality is that of a douchebag when outside of this thread I'm positive nobody who knows me closely has ever seen me in such a light. Add to the actual discussion or don't post at all. Or better yet, you can flame me via PM.

I'm going to make a list of my problems:

1. I hate it when people say stupid things earnestly

2. I hate it when people say stupid things arrogantly

3. I hate it when older, mature people say stupid things earnestly and arrogantly

Point three is your saving grace because from your posts I can deduce that you are neither old or mature. That means I can chalk your arrogance up to petulance and think to myself, "Self, he won't be so arrogant when he gets a little life experience under his belt."

The fact of the matter is that you have no idea (as in none) what people are or are not listening to unless you ask them. You know what are nifty? Questions. Questions are good. Questions make you look like less of an ass because you don't have to make silly assumptions.

Again, I have no problem with your points. I have a problem with your personality. But, you're young so I'm dispensing this wisdom to you free of charge. I made NSW climb up a mountain on his knees before I gave him advice this good.
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:02 AM   #159
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
But you are insulting everyone by saying they can't be right about a subjective topic if they haven't listened to everything else out there. Once that attachment to an album or band is there, people may find other things to like, but that shouldn't diminish their opinion of their preconceived favorite.

For the record, I've heard a great deal of the ones you mentioned, and if I wanted to list more than 20, as the title doesn't suggest, then they might've made the list, too. I'm not gonna speak condescendingly to everyone that disagrees, however, unless you use the word "cracking" regularly.
But this was a cracking post.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:03 AM   #160
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I made NSW climb up a mountain on his knees before I gave him advice this good.
That's my wife, asshole!
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:04 AM   #161
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Rule of thumb: You can think you're better, more knowledgeable, or more talented than someone else, but you should never say it (regardless of its truthfulness), especially if you don't want to come across as an arrogant douchebag.
Unless of course you are better than everyone else AND an arrogant douchebag.

Those are another two of my problems.
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:04 AM   #162
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
But this was a cracking post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
That's my wife, asshole!
Two in the row, nice.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:06 AM   #163
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Unless of course you are better than everyone else AND an arrogant douchebag.

Those are another two of my problems.
1) Cut a Hole in a Box
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:06 AM   #164
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
1) Cut a Hole in a Box
Three in a row.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:09 AM   #165
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
1) Cut a Hole in a Box
My favorite part of that post is the fact that I make comments about him based solely on assumptions while criticizing him about making assumptions. Wait until he realizes that. His little tween head will explode with glee filled rage and all we'll get is a post of "SEEEEEEEEEEEELkj ;asdapoiuf aasd;la ;vqoeija;sdoij fa[dsfja ;s"
__________________

__________________
Dalton is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com