Top 20 albums of the decade so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and you know this...how? did you take a poll?

I can't say about the others, but I can almost certainly assure you more than 1% of Interference has listened to an entire Sufjan album.

I've listened to more than one, actually.

Been meaning to check out Beulah's The Coast Is Never Clear for a while now.

and you know this...how? did you take a poll?

I can't say about the others, but I can almost certainly assure you more than 1% of Interference has listened to an entire Sufjan album.

I've listened to TWO whole Suffy albums and liked them (Illinois, Seven Swans). Do I get an indietastic ribbon of some sort?

Would it be a good idea to tack a few Sufjan albums to my over-growing "albums to listen to" list?

Would it be a good idea to tack a few Sufjan albums to my over-growing "albums to listen to" list?

I feel that Illinois is way too long for its own good (around 74 minutes, I think), but there are some brilliant songs on it. Come On! Feel The Illinoise!, Chicago, Jacksonville, Decatur, etc.

not that I would take a stand against senselessly bashing some poor poster, but this thread confuses me
I thought it was quite obvious that BigMacphisto's point was that the sheer availability of music makes this a fantastic decade for music
not necessarely so much the actual output compared to other decades
I'm not sure I agree 100% of this (as overkill threatens and some other side effects are pretty gruesome too) but I don't see the need to treat him as a 3 year old because of this statement

also, as much as it is a great sentiment that taste is subjective
I read some quite incredible statements in this thread that would almost make me wonder

lastly
I also enjoy Metacritic as I don't have the time to read every music mag
The Word is enough

not that I would take a stand against senselessly bashing some poor poster, but this thread confuses me
I thought it was quite obvious that BigMacphisto's point was that the sheer availability of music makes this a fantastic decade for music
I'm not sure I agree 100% of this (as overkill threatens and some other side effects are pretty gruesome too) but I don't see the need to treat him as a 3 year old because of this statement

Actually, he said that there are far more great albums per year than ever before so, yes, he does believe that the general output is superior, something I couldn't possibly agree with.

Well, it's not just that, which is a subjective point anyone can agree or disagree with. it was his condescending attitude towards other members, implying that they somehow weren't qualified to post lists because clearly they don't listen to enough music from this decade as their lists included "mainstream" albums.

Well, it's not just that, which is a subjective point anyone can agree or disagree with. it was his condescending attitude towards other members, implying that they somehow weren't qualified to post lists because clearly they don't listen to enough music from this decade as their lists included "mainstream" albums.

Exactly. I was going to post my own Top 20, but I didn't particulary feeling like being condescended to for having an album or two by Bruce Springsteen on it. Then again, anyone who would look down on me for including albums by one of the greatest American recording artists of the past four decades isn't really worth listening to, right? So I'm going to go ahead and make a list and post it.

Exactly. I was going to post my own Top 20, but I didn't particulary feeling like being condescended to for having an album or two by Bruce Springsteen on it. Then again, anyone who would look down on me for including albums by one of the greatest American recording artists of the past four decades isn't really worth listening to, right? So I'm going to go ahead and make a list and post it.

go for it

come on, mine had linkin park :wink:

also the whole "omg only 1% of interference has listened to sufjan" or whatever is complete bullshit. sufjan isnt that fucking unheard of. he was on the OC soundtrack for chrissakes (which the OC soundtrack is actually kind of amazingly good. I've never watched the show, but...)

also i can't really get into sufjan :shrug: I've tried. I like some songs, but I can't stand the song Chicago. I really can't. It's so upbeat and annoying. Some of his more low key stuff is good, though.

go for it

come on, mine had linkin park :wink:

also the whole "omg only 1% of interference has listened to sufjan" or whatever is complete bullshit. sufjan isnt that fucking unheard of. he was on the OC soundtrack for chrissakes (which the OC soundtrack is actually kind of amazingly good. I've never watched the show, but...)

also i can't really get into sufjan :shrug: I've tried. I like some songs, but I can't stand the song Chicago. I really can't. It's so upbeat and annoying. Some of his more low key stuff is good, though.

I tried listening to Sujfan Stevens too after hearing him praised to the skies on here and other places, and I honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about.

I tried listening to Sujfan Stevens too after hearing him praised to the skies on here and other places, and I honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about.

I really don't either, but he has some wonderful songs. He just needs an editor.

Can you recommend some particular songs? I might give him another try, but I don't feel like slogging through a whole allbum.

I only have two albums, here are the highlights IMO:

Flint (For the Unemployed and Underpaid)
Say Yes! To Michigan!
Holland
Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! (Rebuild! Restore! Reconsider!)
Come On! Feel the Illinoise!
Jacksonville
Decatur
Chicago
Casimir Pulaski Day

I only have two albums, here are the highlights IMO:

Flint (For the Unemployed and Underpaid)
Say Yes! To Michigan!
Holland
Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! (Rebuild! Restore! Reconsider!)
Come On! Feel the Illinoise!
Jacksonville
Decatur
Chicago
Casimir Pulaski Day

I would also add John Wayne Gacy Jr to that list.

Certainly not claiming that these are the best, just simply my favorites, the ones i can hear often and like it more each time
(i'm hoping that i actually guessed the correct year for each album)

no particular order

ryan adams - cold roses
wilco - yankee hotel..
springsteen - devils & dust
bright eyes - i'm wide awake..
mos def - new danger
andrew bird - armchair apocrypha
arcade fire - funeral
battles - mirrored
john frusciante - shadows collide with people
libertines - " "
national - boxer
tom waits - orphans
radiohead - kid a
locust - plague soundscapes
mars volta - frances the mute
spoon - gagagagaggagagaga
manu chao - proxima estacion
eddie vedder - into the wild soundtrack
michael penn - mr hollywood jr 1947
jedi mind trick - legacy of blood
morrissey - you are the quarry
u2 - atyclb
rufus wainwright - want two

ok, and if i could repeat by artists:
ryan adams - 29, jacksonville, love is hell
springsteen - seeger sessions, rising
wilco - a ghost..
radiohead - in rainbows
andrew bird - mysterious production of eggs

In no particular order:

Bruce Springsteen - Magic
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Rufus Wainwright - Want Two
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
R.E.M. - Accelerate
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
The White Stripes - Elephant
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Elvis Costello - The Delivery Man
Antony and the Johnsons - I'm A Bird Now
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!
The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
India Arie - Acoustic Soul
Green Day - American Idiot
Warren Zevon - The Wind
Ryan Adams - 29
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part
Johnny Cash - American V
Johnny Cash - American IV
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl

Back
Top Bottom