Top 10 favorite hip-hop albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Yes, I'm clearly a bit bored. But I don't think any threads have been made like this in the past and I've been listening to a ton of hip-hop the past couple of days, so I'm in a good place to make a list like this. The following is a rather incomplete list, put in the best order possible (there is still a ton of classic hip-hop I haven't heard, so that's why I consider it incomplete):

10. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Undoubtedly a classic; jazzy grooves placed beside vibrant, humorous lyrics.

9. The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
Contains arguably one of the greatest first sides in hip-hop history. Thins out a bit after that, but still one of my favorites regardless. Biggie had unbelievable flow.

8. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Yep. Jigga has made his share of masterpieces to go right alongside the commercial fluff, and this album is truly fantastic. Can't knock the hustle.

7. Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
Yes, it's quite new. Yes, it has its share of filler. But I adore this album. Hooks are everywhere, and the plot is very interesting, if open-ended. The first half is an easy 5/5, and it doesn't drop off all that much.

6. Madvillain - Madvillainy
I just recently discovered this album, but I love it. It has amazing atmosphere, and never lets a great idea overstay its welcome. There aren't nearly enough albums this good around right now.

5. Kanye West - Late Registration
Packed to the gills with great tunes, and Brion's production is a favorite of mine. Kanye's best, easily.

4. Nas - Illmatic
A cliched choice, but this is definitely one of the greats, no doubt. Arguably the most consistently strong rap album I've ever heard, and its peaks are through the roof.

3. Outkast - Aquemini
Also cliched, but I don't care. Incredibly creative, surprisingly consistent, and manages to be both thematically heavy and enjoyable at the same time. Rosa Parks is the jam.

2. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Pretty much singlehandedly got me into hip-hop. It's one of the most creative, dense, and entertaining records ever made. It also hasn't aged a minute since 1989.

1. De La Soul - Three Feet High And Rising
Proof positive that those who claim hip-hop is all guns, gangs, hos, and weed have no idea what they're talking about. Not every experiment on this extremely experimental record works, but the vast majority does, and it's one of the most unique (and fun/entertaining/awesome, etc.) albums ever made in any genre.

<3

1. Nas - Stillmatic
2. Nas - God's Son
3. 2-Pac - Until The End Of Time
4. Nate Dogg - Music & Me
5. Nas - I Am
6. Ice Cube - War & Peace Vol. 1
7. Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
8. Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
9. Dr Dre - 2001
10. Ice Cube - War & Peace Vol. 2

<3 what does that mean?

OutKast - Speakerboxxx / The Love Below
Jam packed with awesome tunes, great production, hit singles, pure rap moments, it's got everything you ever wanted and more

Nelly - Nellyville
Best and most consistent album

In no particular order...

Ice Cube, Death Certificate
Public Enemy, Fear of a Black Planet
A Tribe Called Quest, The Low End Theory
Beastie Boys, Check Your Head
Jay-Z, The Blueprint
Andre 3000, The Love Below
Kanye West, Late Registration
Nas, Illmatic
Beastie Boys, Paul's Boutique
Lauryn Hill, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

I actually haven't listened to much hip-hop the last couple years so this thread has got me thinkin a little bit. I'll throw out a list, though.

Eminem - The Eminem Show
Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
Eminem - Slim Shady LP
2pac - All Eyez on Me
2pac - 2pacalypse now
Dr. Dre - Chronic/Chronic 2001
Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Outkast - Aquemini
Kanye - College Dropout
Bone Thugs - E 1999 Eternal

I just recently discovered this album, but I love it. It has amazing atmosphere, and never lets a great idea overstay its welcome. There aren't nearly enough albums this good around right now.
Madlib is the man
my top 3 would be Madvillainy and the 2 Quasimoto albums

it makes the rest of hiphop redundant
though Wu Tang Clan entertain me to no end at times
Enter the Wu Tang (36 chambers) mostly

If you like MF Doom, check out the DANGERDOOM album. While the Adult Swim theme may be off putting to some, the album is stellar. His work just makes more sense with Danger Mouse to me. Rumor is there'll be a new album by them this year.

I am by no means a huge hip-hop fan, but do enjoy the genre now and then. So, maybe my opinion is moot....but I'd like to say that I lean more old school, and so Paid in Full by Eric B & Rakim would have to be on my list. So would It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back by PE. However, The Low End Theory is easily my favorite from the genre.

If you like MF Doom, check out the DANGERDOOM album. While the Adult Swim theme may be off putting to some, the album is stellar. His work just makes more sense with Danger Mouse to me. Rumor is there'll be a new album by them this year.

Good call. Danger Mouse kicks ass. I will check that one out ASAP, as soon as I finish digesting Madvillainy.

BTW, I completely forgot to include The Streets' A Grand Don't Come For Free on my list. Oh well...it would have been difficult to remove anything from that list anyway.

1. Nas - Illmatic
2. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
3. Gang Starr - Hard to Earn
4. Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
5. Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full
6. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
7. Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are...
8. Common - Be
9. The Fugees - The Score
10. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt

Gotta add in these too for good measure:
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & The Soul Brother
Ice Cube - The Predator
GZA/Genius - Legend of the Liquid Swords
Gang Starr - Moment of Truth
2Pac - All Eyez on Me
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Common - Like Water for Chocolate
Jay-Z - The Black Album
Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
Eric B. & Rakim - Don't Sweat the Technique
Eric B. & Rakim - Follow the Leader
Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane
Kanye West - The College Dropout
Kanye West - Late Registration
EPMD - Strictly Business
Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor
Mos Def - The New Danger
Nas - Stillmatic
Ol Dirty Bastard - Return to the 36 Chambers
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
The Roots - Phrenology
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Skee-Lo - I Wish
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
Dr. Dre - Tha Chronic
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Warren G - I Want it All
2Pac - The Don Killuminati: The Seven Day Theory
Wu-Tang Clan - Wu-Tang Forever

Five stars to this thread, and hopefully we can keep 'er going for a while.:up:

Since I suck at making lists (and would likely just mention a lot of what's already been mentioned: Beasties, PE, Outkast, Kanye, Lupe, De La, etc), I'm just going to mention some that haven't been mentioned. EDIT: And it looks like Dave mentioned some of this while I was typing

Jurassic 5 - While they kinda have disappointed as of late, their debut EP and album were AMAZING. The second album is pretty solid too. 'Quality Control' is a must in anyone's hip hop collection. It blows my mind no one has mentioned them yet. Seriously.

Danger Doom - I've already mentioned them. Danger Mouse + MF Doom. Our first time hearing Cee-Lo with Danger (and honestly this track is one of the best things they've done). Every song is related to Adult Swim, which can be fun and annoying at times.

Blackstar (or Black Star, never sure which is right) - Talib Kweli + Mos Def before either of them were famous, this is still probably the best thing either has done. Definition and Respiration are both fantastic. Check the music videos out on Youtube, they both looked like they were having a blast back then.

Clipse - 'Hell Hath No Fury' - Pharrell produced modern "gangsta" rap (or drug dealer rap, to be more accurate). Don't let that scare you, it's actually a great album with great tunes. Pharrell did a fantastic job on it, and the rhymes seem perfect to the music.

Dizzee Rascal - 'Boy In Da Corner' - British hip-hop/rap/dance kinda difficult to classify, like MIA is. If you like The Streets and MIA, you very well may love this album.

Bubba Sparxxx - 'Deliverance' - Hillbilly-hip-hop? Timbaland's production on this is absolutely some of the best work he's ever done, and Bubba is just as amazing on it. Everyone I know who's ever heard the title track has instantly loved it, I can't recommend that song enough. Like Stankonia, this album has something for everyone on it (rock, acoustic guitar, extremely non-standard rap subjects/sounds, etc). Props to HeartlandGirl on this one.

Dungeon Family - 'Even In Darkness' - Surprisingly little known supergroup album. Featuring Outkast, Goodie Mob (Cee-Lo in particular), Sleepy Brown, Killer Mike, Bubba Sparxxx, etc, etc, etc. This album was the first thing Outkast was involved in after Stankonia, and some of the songs are fantastic. 'Trans DF Express' is one of the best Outkast songs there is (without being an Outkast song), and 'Follow The Light' is one of the best Cee-Lo related songs I know of as well.

Crackin' album.

Vats of Urine brings the lulz every time.

Wu Tang - 36 chambers
Mos Def - New Danger/ Black on both sides (hard to choose)
Black Star - " "
Nas- Illmatic (for the line "i never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death" alone)
Common - Like water for chocolate
Roots - things fall apart
Ultramagnetic - critical beatdowns
Spank rock - bangers and cash (ep) (just cause it's fun)

Here are mine in no particular order...

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

Nas - Illmatic

Boogie Down Productions - By All Means Necessary

Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory

Eric B & Rakim - Paid In Full

Dr. Dre - The Chronic

RUN DMC - Raising Hell

Notorious B.I.G. -Ready to Die

Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted

Jay-Z - The Black Album

Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Black Star

Honorable mention
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
EPMD - Strictly Business
Gangstarr - Moment of Truth

Since no one else is going to mention it, I will.

Will Smith - Big Willie Style.

Yes, I know, Will Smith was/is an average rapper. But that record was fun.

Gettin' Jiggy With It
Miami
Just The Two Of Us
Men In Black

just to name a few.

Plus it reminds me of 1997 and 1998.

Not saying it's the greatest hip-hop record ever, just saying it was a fun record.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom