Top 10 albums thusfar, 2002

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
First off, I'll put them in the order of quality as I see it...

1. Bruce Springsteen- The Rising
2. Red Hot Chili Peppers- By the Way
3. silverchair- Diorama
4. Coldplay- A Rush of Blood to the Head
5. Elvis Costello- When I Was Cruel
6. Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
7. Weezer- Maladroit
8. Dave Matthews Band- Busted Stuff
9. Doves- The Last Broadcast
10. Oasis- Heathen Chemistry

Now, in MY order, it's

1. By the Way
2. Diorama
3. The Rising
4. A Rush of Blood to the Head
5. Maladroit
6. Heathen Chemistry
7. Busted Stuff
8. When I Was Cruel
9. The Last Broadcast
10. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Honorable Mention: Counting Crows "Hard Candy"

omigor, i don't even think i've bought FIVE cd's this year! :D

actually, i have, but i've bought a lot of old stuff. the only new cds i've bought were (sorry if any of these are 2001) uhhh...sheryl crow and goo goo dolls. shit. that's it. it's not that i don't like new music, well actually for the most part i don't, but oh well.

i bought a lot of sting stuff. in january, i ordered like four of his cds i didn't have and got them overnight shipped cuz no one else had them. (it was rarer stuff like nada como el sol)

blah blah...

UnforgettableLemon said:
First off, I'll put them in the order of quality as I see it...

1. Bruce Springsteen- The Rising
2. Red Hot Chili Peppers- By the Way
3. silverchair- Diorama
4. Coldplay- A Rush of Blood to the Head
5. Elvis Costello- When I Was Cruel
6. Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
7. Weezer- Maladroit
8. Dave Matthews Band- Busted Stuff
9. Doves- The Last Broadcast
10. Oasis- Heathen Chemistry

I've got 3 of the above (Bruce, Weezer, and Doves). I really want to get the Oasis, Elvis, and Coldplay albums but will have to wait some.

I can't even think of 10 albums I've bought this year that were released this year! I've bought maybe 6 new-new albums, lol, the rest were "oldies".

Anyone who has not heard Diorama by silverchair must give it a listen. Please. Hell, even Bono endorsed it, the sticker on the front of the album's got a quote to the effect of "swim to australia to hear them if you have to". It's truly a great great album.

In fact, I'm going to make my own best of 2002 thusfar mix CD in a bit. So far, tracks are going to include-

"Love Explosion"- Weezer
"Electrical Storm" (if a good version turns up soon)- U2
"Dosed"- Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Alibi"- Elvis Costello
"Further On (Up the Road)"- Bruce Springsteen
"Richard Manuel is Dead"- Counting Crows
"Across the Night"- silverchair
"Heavy Metal Drummer"- Wilco
"The Scientist"- Coldplay
"Big-Eyed Fish"- Dave Matthews Band
"Words"- Doves
"Expecting"- The White Stripes

I also like the new Korn, Eminem and Reel Big Fish albums... but I don't think they'd be in place with the rest of the album, and the new Nine Inch Nails album was live and I don't want to stick an old track on there. I need to hear the new Bowie, too.

Well, here's how I'd rank the albums from this year that I've heard in full.

Doves - The Last Broadcast
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood...
Oasis - Heathen Chemistry
The Hives - Veni, Vidi, Vicious
Weezer - Maladroit

1. creed "weathered"

2. nickelback "silverside up"

3. default "the fallout"

4. staind "break the cycle"

5. three doors down "kryptonite" (i might be wrong about that title)

6. lincoln park "hybrid theory"

7. mudvayne

8. chad kruegers work on the spiderman soundtrack

9. matchbox twenty "yourself or someone like you"

10. hoobastank.

Please tell me that wink means you're JOKING.

Zoomy just said the "C" word.

*is now blind and deaf, thank you very much*

:no: :silent: :banghead:

Last edited:
ali the lovely, take heed

the whole post was a joke. i mean LOOK at those groups. theyre some of the worst bands in the mainstream these days.

terrible bands.

i don't have 3 or 7. i'm sure i'll get weezer. i agree that all of those are EXCELLENT albums. i will have to think of a few more that i think belong on that list. it's been a good year for music.

did elbow come out this year or last? and i love the hives album. and the white stripes. and strokes. i have no idea if those actually came out this year.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Screaming Flower said:
i don't have 3 or 7. i'm sure i'll get weezer. i agree that all of those are EXCELLENT albums. i will have to think of a few more that i think belong on that list. it's been a good year for music.

did elbow come out this year or last? and i love the hives album. and the white stripes. and strokes. i have no idea if those actually came out this year.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Damn you for mentioning Elbow and Hives before I had a chance to! ;) I do believe both of those albums came out this year, but I'm pretty sure the Strokes album came out last year. And I also have no idea on the white stripes album. In any case, Elbow and Hives definitely belong on that list. Quality music, people. Sheer quality. :up:

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

1. Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (THIS ALBUM IS SO GOOD)
2. Doves - The Last Broadcast
3. RHCP - By The Way
4. Nina Nastasia - The Blackened Air (real good female folk singer, not like jewel, she is good!)
5. Arab Strap - The Red Thread(might have come out mid last year though, but I didn't get it until recently!)
6. Radar Brothers - And The Surrounding Mountains

That is all I can think of.

Foxxern said:
Well, here's how I'd rank the albums from this year that I've heard in full.

Doves - The Last Broadcast
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood...
Oasis - Heathen Chemistry
The Hives - Veni, Vidi, Vicious
Weezer - Maladroit

Yep, about the same except I would take out the Hives and put in RHCP...which is awesome.

Flaming Lips should be up there

Oasis should NOT be there in any capacity
BLARGH!!
what a load of pretentious tripe

Basstrap said:
Oasis should NOT be there in any capacity
BLARGH!!
what a load of pretentious tripe

Thanks for your opinion, even though I'm pretty sure you haven't heard the new album.

Originally posted by walkon11
Yep, about the same except I would take out the Hives and put in RHCP...which is awesome.

I would buy the new RHCP album, but I'm sick to death of hearing the single on the radio. Ugh, perfect example of the radio pushing you to hate a song that is really good. Maybe I'll pick it up a year from now or so.

Foxxern said:

I would buy the new RHCP album, but I'm sick to death of hearing the single on the radio. Ugh, perfect example of the radio pushing you to hate a song that is really good. Maybe I'll pick it up a year from now or so.

The album as a whole is excellent, but I know what you mean...radio stations and music channels can suck the life out of almost anything by playing it 10 times an hour...trust me though, it's a fine album.

White Stripes' White Blood Cells came out last year. I :heart: White Stripes. The Strokes also came out last year.. still need to get that album :| The only album I've bought that came out this year have been Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head. I have about 20 albums I want to get but.. no money, and a computer that can't handle mp3s. :banghead:

Foxxern said:

Thanks for your opinion, even though I'm pretty sure you haven't heard the new album.

i've heard the hives song on the radio more times than i've heard the RHCP song on the radio.

dunno if I can find 10 either, and I'm sure you'll all hate them anyway but what the hell...

Gemma Hayes - Night on my Side
Counting Crows - Hard Candy (though not exactly their best)
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (from first impressions at least...)
The Calling - Camino Palmero

well er 5 then, thats not too bad by my standards...

UnforgettableLemon said:
Anyone who has not heard Diorama by silverchair must give it a listen. Please. Hell, even Bono endorsed it, the sticker on the front of the album's got a quote to the effect of "swim to australia to hear them if you have to". It's truly a great great album.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Its an incredibly good album.
Daniel Johns is a freak. He wrote all the lyrics, and 99% of the music including all of the orchestrated parts, and he's only 22. If silverchair keep improving from album to album at the pace they are going now....

And agree, Coldplay, RHCP, Doves, Norah Jones, Oasis, all excellent.

UnforgettableLemon said:

I havnt got a copy of this but a friend of mine and I must say taht I like it heaps, I just may burn a copy of it, Silverchair really are getting better and better which each album:)

TylerDurden said:

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Its an incredibly good album.
Daniel Johns is a freak. He wrote all the lyrics, and 99% of the music including all of the orchestrated parts, and he's only 22. If silverchair keep improving from album to album at the pace they are going now...

Well, I don't want to sound rude or harsh... but is he gonna be healthy enough to make music much longer? It seems like every time he gets one thing straight, something else goes wrong. But Daniel is the man. It irritates me when people dismiss them as a second-wave grunge ripoff band, because each album is a departure from the last. Lyrically, Freak Show wasn't much different than Frogstomp, but the sound of the music grew much cleaner and more crisp, and then Neon Ballroom... well, just listen to Emotion Sickness to see the growth there. But Diorama just eclipses everything they've done.

hmmm my top 3:

1 coldplay. fabulous. will be a classic. album of the year, no doubt (not counting greatest hits ;-)).
2 eminem. his best yet.
3 red hot chili peppers. ah, sweet, sweet candy.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
Unforgettable Lemon, which songs off of Diorama would you recommend downloading to get a taste of the album? Thanks in advance. :)

Gosh, every song on the album is great.

The Singles:

Greatest View
Without You
Luv Your Life

Personal Faves:
ACROSS THE NIGHT (must download)
World Upon Your Shoulders
Tuna in the Brine

Well I've only bought 4 albums that were actually released this year...

RHCP-BTW :Yeah, it rocks!
Cornelius-Point :Japanese wonder DJ, slick chilled album
DJ Shadow-The Private Press :Funkadelic effort from critically acclaimed mixer
Chemical Brothers-Come With Us :Great stuff, techno beats.

So I don't regret buying any of them. Albums I reckon I'll pick up soon would be Doves Last Broadcast and Flaming Lips new effort, thinking about Coldplay too.

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Plastic Fang
Los Lobos - Good Morning Aztl?n
Sonic Youth - Murray Street
Lambchop - Is a Woman
DJ Shadow-The Private Press
16 Horsepower - Folklore
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Solomon Burke - Don't give Up on Me
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By the Way
Natalie Merchant - Motherland

rjd2 - "dead ringer
dj shadow - "the private press"