Too old for Rock n' Roll? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2004, 10:53 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:20 AM
Too old for Rock n' Roll?

(Wasn't exactly sure where to post this...)

Im not talking about playing music. Im talking about being an active fan (collecting, concerts, fan boards, etc).

A friend, who is in his 30s, was telling me about a show he went to recently. He goes to several shows a year and always tells his coworkers and friends about them the next day. I would say that going to a rock concert is a hobby for him, sort of like how some people go to see Broadway shows. He was telling me about a strange reaction he received the other day when one of his friends asked him: Dontcha think its about time for you to grow up and stop going to so many shows? He would have shrugged it off had someone else not said the same thing the day before. (These comments came from people who were in their early- to mid- 20s.) Do younger people really feel that at some point you have to stop being an active fan in order to be an adult? Ive always thought since most of the shows at big arenas also have big ticket prices that the average concert goer would be those middle aged (terrible term) people who have some extra income. I mean, I can see how the concert thing would be weird if this guy were to show up at, say, a Britney or any other teen pop show, but Im talking about a typical rock concert. Is it really all that strange to see people over 30 at rock shows? How about local shows in a college town where the average age is 21?

Old 08-08-2004, 11:10 AM   #2
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:20 AM
typical comment for people who only listen to music when the radio in on somewhere and bop their head along with the newest Britney single, but who have no love for music whatsoever

and Ive seen plenty of 30+ people at the shows I've gone to

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-08-2004, 11:59 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Rock and roll is about the spirit, the freedom of the spirit. People who are chained up inside think there are rules about it. Well, there aren't. I'll be listening and going to shows until i die.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:20 AM
What MrBrau1 said

I feel that live music will always be the great release for me.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:08 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

I'll be going to shows when I'm 50 and hanging posters of rock stars in my house then, too.

All those people who say "get a life, grow up" can go to hell.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:34 PM   #6
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

Yeah, I'll be going to shows, buying music, etc, until I die too. I can't imagine my life without music, really. Are we supposed to stop enjoying it when we hit a certain age?

I get people around here occasionally making comments about me and my friends still going to local/indie shows "at our age". yeah, late 20s/early 30s is really getting up there.

neutral @ interference.com
Old 08-08-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

When Dad and I went to see Ryan Adams, he was one of the few older people I saw...which I thought was pretty damn cool.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-08-2004, 03:03 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Exactly to what everyone has said. If going to rock shows into your 30s and upwards is wrong, then I don't want to EVER be right. I live to go to concerts -- it's one of the most beautiful experiences in life I've ever had, and I don't intend to stop. Rock n' roll is for EVERYONE.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:40 PM   #9
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
I'll be going to shows when I'm 50 and hanging posters of rock stars in my house then, too.

Mr. BAW is someone over 50 who could probably give a room full of 20-somethings a run for their money in the having-a-good-time department, especially at concerts. He is FAR from ready to hang it up and go listen to soft rock in his easy chair.

And I'm only 2 short years away from 40 and my walls are still covered with posters and memorabilia. I don't plan on giving it up any time soon either.

Go to hell indeed!!!
Old 08-08-2004, 04:01 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I still pogo at concerts but i noticed that all those young people around want to offer me a chair when they see me jumping around.

O boy, i will have a lot of fun with the youngsters at the The Thermals concert in a couple off days
Old 08-08-2004, 04:18 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:20 AM
You said that comment was from someone in their mid-20s...well, coming from a 19 year old, I wouldn't say it's wrong for people to keep going to concerts regardless of their age. There were lots of people over 30 at the concerts I've been to (course, four of those concerts were for artists who have been around for quite a few years, too, so...). It doesn't bother me, it's not weird or anything. I'm just happy to be surrounded by people who love the same music that I do.

Bottom line, music has no age limit.

Angela
Old 08-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by neutral

Yeah, I'll be going to shows, buying music, etc, until I die too. I can't imagine my life without music, really. Are we supposed to stop enjoying it when we hit a certain age?

I get people around here occasionally making comments about me and my friends still going to local/indie shows "at our age". yeah, late 20s/early 30s is really getting up there.
What more is there to say when you have a comment like this?

Stick 'em up punk!

*saw a Fun Lovin' Criminals concert last week and is late 20-ish*

I saw some people at that concert over 40 or 50 or whatever. I didn't think of them as weird or wannabe, I thought they were cool. It's not as if you have to act like a 15-year-old wannabe when you're 30+, 40+ or whatever. If you enjoy it (in your way), that's fine.

Marty (currently listening to a 67-year-old (then) BB King and considering him extremely cool)
Old 08-08-2004, 05:51 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:20 AM
Re: Too old for Rock n' Roll?

Quote:
Originally posted by U2dork
Too old for Rock n' Roll?
There's no such thing! I'll never stop rocking!!
Old 08-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Excellent comments. I guess I am a tad sensitive toward stupid ageism comments like this lately with a HS reunion coming up . I've never thought people who were older than late 20's looked out of place at shows I've gone to because, quite frankly, we seem to make up the majority. I can't ever imagine taking down my posters and replacing them with random decorative items, nor can I ever imagine skipping my favorite band's show. In fact, when I have nightmares, this is usually what I'm dreaming about...
Old 08-08-2004, 06:15 PM   #15
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Well, I just have to say that everyone has already said everything i could ever want to say in this thread! You all kick butt!!!

I've thought about this all before a few times. When I saw AFI in concert, I and my buddy were EASILY some of the oldest people there. (and I was only 25 and the time!) While I felt a little out of place, I cant say that I really cared. We were there to have a great time, just like everyone else. I remember some kids talking to us in line who were about 16, and they obviously thought it was cool that we were there too.

Keep on rockin' in the free world.