Tommy is the most overrated rock album of all time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I've never liked this record, and I've always had a problem with it, but after a listen through it today, I've decided that it's worse than I remember. :(

It's quite clear from the get-go that the Who can do and has done better. The whole thing is a bloated ripoff of SF Sorrow (the streamlined and less irritating version of Tommy, as I consider it) with a strange and awkward story that no rock band deserves to be stuck with (come on, Townshend, you're a great writer; you could easily come up with something that at least has coherence :slant: )

I could pick through all of its faults song by song, but that would be boring. I will say, however, that the album really starts to dip in quality after Christmas, or, more specifically, once the first "Tommy, can you hear me?" thing first pops up. Let me just say, that is one of the most annoying things I've ever heard in a rock song. It doesn't fit with the rest of Christmas, the singing is just barely in key, and what makes it worse is that they repeat it throughout the album (why, guys, why? :sad: ), along with the just as embarrassing see me, feel me :blahblah: .

Is the album all "suffering" defined? No. Not at all. Everything before Cousin Kevin is not only palatable, but really good. I LOVE Sparks and 1921, and the songs around it are just as good. Later on in the album are some other great standouts such as Sally Simpson, Welcome, and, yes, Pinball Wizard (musically, it's everything that's wonderful about the Who in one song, though, lyrically, it sucks hard :| ).

But, these fantastic moments just highlight how miserable the rest of it is, and cause many questions to arise such as:

1. Why couldn't the rest of it be this good?

2. Why does Underture have to be 10 minutes long without going anywhere at all?

3. Why is this version of I'm Free completely independent of gonadal regions while the Live At Leeds version is completely rocking and awesome?

4. Why the painful repetition?

And so on.

As for the other songs, I'd rather not say. We're Not Gonna Take It is the worst song here, with an atrocious chorus and little spark. It winds up being 3 minutes of song and 4 minutes of filler. This is partially the fault of the band's performance; the only member here who steps up beyond his standard abilities is Townshend, and Daltrey isn't given enough to do. Where are the classic Entwistle bass riffs and Moon drum fills? They're gone because they wasted too much time on saying the word Tommy over and over. :| :madspit:

I know this thread will be interpreted as me hating the Who, but that would be an idiotic and uninformed claim. Who Sell Out, Live At Leeds, Who's Next, and Quadrophenia all shred Tommy. :heart:

But this piece of garbage? Yeah, stick with SF Sorrow, The Wall, Quadrophenia, and other such rock operas.

snowbunny00774 said:
You really shouldn't keep all this negative stuff pent up like that - let it out...tell us how you really feel...

I just figured it would be a more insightful conversation if I was specific rather than post the usual one line "____ sucks :madspit: :down: " threads that usually get posted here and on other internet forums. :slant:

I would agree that it is overrated, and certainly not The Who's best work. However, I would not go so far as to call it the most overrated album in rock history. That unenviable honor would probably go to Revolver:reject:, an incredible album but unfortunately not the 14 musical revolutions that many like to portray it as being (in my opinion, of course).

cdisantis83 said:
I would agree that it is overrated, and certainly not The Who's best work. However, I would not go so far as to call it the most overrated album in rock history. That unenviable honor would probably go to Revolver:reject:, an incredible album but unfortunately not the 14 musical revolutions that many like to portray it as being (in my opinion, of course).

Revolver? Really? :sad:

To be honest, I think it's a smidge overrated myself, more so than Sgt. Peppers even, but I still love it.

Believe me, I also think that Revolver is quite brilliant, but its reputation is such that no degree of brilliance could possibly justify it.

LemonMelon said:
But this piece of garbage? Yeah, stick with [...] The Wall, [...]

Talk about the most overrated rock album and that one is a winner.

I don't know Tommy that well, but The Wall sure is one of the main contenders for that prize. A double album and almost no tunes. Geez...
:|

Re: Re: Tommy is the most overrated rock album of all time

Popmartijn said:

I don't know Tommy that well, but The Wall sure is one of the main contenders for that prize. A double album and almost no tunes. Geez...

No tunes? :eyebrow:

Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell (parts 1 & 2), Hey You, In The Flesh, Mother, Another Brick In The Wall (part 2)...

Re: Re: Tommy is the most overrated rock album of all time

Popmartijn said:

AH! I actually can understand this argument quite well and have heard it many times. However, any album with Comfortably Numb, Goodbye Blue Sky, and Mother on it is already better than Tommy. But, beyond that, it also has:

1. A better story.

2. Better production/instrumentation.

3. A higher amount of classics.

Plus, the Wall movie is really cool. :drool:

Re: Re: Re: Tommy is the most overrated rock album of all time

Screwtape2 said:
No tunes? :eyebrow:

Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell (parts 1 & 2), Hey You, In The Flesh, Mother, Another Brick In The Wall (part 2)...

That's 6 out of 26. Not a very good score, I must say.

And yes, LemonMelon, The Wall has some excellent tunes on it, plus a lot of drivel.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tommy is the most overrated rock album of all time

Popmartijn said:

That's 6 out of 26. Not a very good score, I must say.

And yes, LemonMelon, The Wall has some excellent tunes on it, plus a lot of drivel.

I find the drivel pleasant. :wink: It certainly isn't their best work, but I think that, though musically it may be lacking, as a story, it's the best rock opera of all time, IMO. The way it coalesces is incredible.

martha said:
Tommy is not outstanding, but it's very good. Underture is never loud enough for me.

Most overrated of all time? Not by a long-shot.

:yes:

That would go to any Led Zeppelin album not named IV.

martha said:

I know. The production is crappy. But it's Tommy.

What it needed was more tambourine from Daltrey. Then it would have been a party. :grumpy:

5,000th post.

LemonMelon said:

:grumpy: Except for III, which no one can name a single song off of besides a certain tune involving vikings. :wink:

Immigrant Song?
Friends?
Celebration Song?
Since I've Been Loving You?
Gallow's Pole?
Tangerine?
That's The Way?
Bron-Au-Yr?

off the top of my head.

And Hats Off To Roy Harper might be the worst song in Zeppelin history.

But LZIII is tied with Physical Graffiti as my favorite Zeppelin record.

martha said:
Is this another "the Who is so good we have to start talking about Zep" thread again? :eyebrow:

It's only because I think they're overrated. I shouldn't have opened that can o' worms, but they are.

LemonMacPhisto said:

It's only because I think they're overrated. I shouldn't have opened that can o' worms, but they are.

:madwife:

Let's keep on topic here. I haven't been tarred and feathered yet. :mad:

LemonMelon said:
I haven't been tarred and feathered yet. :mad:

For saying Tommy is overated? pfft... of course it's overated!

If you told me you took a dump on a vintage vinyl copy of Abbey Road then yes, I would have you tarred and feathered...

Saying Tommy is overrated is like saying "by the way guys, did you know Stevie Wonder is blind?"

duh... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom