Tommy is the most overrated rock album of all time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here comes the sun ? Something ?

That beats anything John and Paul had on Abbey Road IMO. That much hyped medley never did much for me. I like The End but that's it from that part.

U2girl said:
Here comes the sun ? Something ?

That beats anything John and Paul had on Abbey Road IMO. That much hyped medley never did much for me. I like The End but that's it from that part.

Well, of course, those two songs are wonderful, but I would still take the medley over them both. Besides, people tend to forget how great Oh Darling and Because are; I wouldn't say Lennon/McCartney dropped the ball on Abbey Road at all. I just think Harrison stepped up. That shows how great Abbey Road is. :love:

Nothing against Oh! Darling and Because (or Come together), I just think Harrison outshines them on this one. :shrug:

Re: Re: Tommy is the most overrated rock album of all time

Popmartijn said:

Talk about the most overrated rock album and that one is a winner.

I don't know Tommy that well, but The Wall sure is one of the main contenders for that prize. A double album and almost no tunes. Geez...
:|

I'm with you. Both records have a few good tunes but as a whole, I never liked either one much, and I esp. dislike The Wall.

LOOOOOOOOOOOVE REEEEEEEEIGN O'ERRRRRRRRR MEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Only Eddie Vedder could pull it off even half as well as Daltrey, and he did. :up:

martha said:

You were obviously posting whilst high.

Actually, the only time I even remotely enjoyed the Who was when I was high. I never understood why they're so hailed. Granted, they're still around, but so are the O'Jays. :shrug: I just never felt The Who did anything all that good. To me they were like the Stone Temple Pilots of the 60s/70s. Some good stuff, but overall pretty meh.

Baby O'Reilly is great. :uhoh: That's all I got.

elevated_u2_fan said:

:tsk: Lets never speak of this again...

That's such a fun song and you know it.

I've come to realize that Abbey Road is their best album, but I hold Revolver in a close second. Can you name a bad song in this bunch?

Come Together
Something
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Oh! Darling
Octopus's Garden
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Here Comes the Sun
Because
You Never Give Me Your Money
Sun King
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End
Her Majesty*

* bonus track

The answer is, "No LMP, I cannot"

LemonMacPhisto said:

That's such a fun song and you know it.

I've come to realize that Abbey Road is their best album, but I hold Revolver in a close second. Can you name a bad song in this bunch?

Come Together
Something
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Oh! Darling
Octopus's Garden
Here Comes the Sun
Because
Sun King
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End
Her Majesty*

* bonus track

No LMP, I cannot. Just songs that aren't as life-changing as others. Abbey Road kicks my ass every time. :rockon:

elevated_u2_fan said:

No LMP, I cannot...

OG is ok... I just don't think it belongs with the rest of them... Other than "With A Little Help From My Friends" Ringo usually handles the "comic relief" portion of the album

Good Night from The White Album is comic relief?

That's really a good tune.

With A Little Help From My Friends is amazing. :drool: Good Night is very good as well. The only Ringo song that makes me angry is Yellow Submarine. :happy:

I still prefer the Joe Cocker version of "Friends," it's the only Beatle cover to be better than the original.

The Who still kick ass :up:

elevated_u2_fan said:

DAD!! HOW COULD YOU?!

I have a certian place in my heart for Yellow Submarine :heart:, my other father used to play it for me when I was little...

Come here, boy, sit on my knee. I wish to tell you a story.

Several years ago I used to be in barbershop quartet. We used to sing songs for people hoping they would give us money and/or food and clothing. Our first song to really hit paydirt was our cover of Yellow Submarine. Unfortunately, due to copyright infringement, we had to break up. :madspit: So that song always reminds me of my 36 seconds of fame. :sigh:

(BTW, quite a bit of that was true in my actual life, just remove the copyright and food/clothing stuff, and there you go)

LemonMelon said:
Come here, boy, sit on my knee. I wish to tell you a story.

:uhoh:

Several years ago I used to be in barbershop quartet. We used to sing songs for people hoping they would give us money and/or food and clothing. Our first song to really hit paydirt was our cover of Yellow Submarine. Unfortunately, due to copyright infringement, we had to break up. :madspit: So that song always reminds me of my 36 seconds of fame. :sigh:

(BTW, quite a bit of that was true in my actual life, just remove the copyright and food/clothing stuff, and there you go)

Wow... so you're saying that Yoko Ono sued your ass?

elevated_u2_fan said:

Wow... so you're saying that Yoko Ono sued your ass?

Yup. That bitch put me out of the business for 3 years. And now I'm banned from 25 different Holdiay Inns*

*may not have anything to do with Yoko Ono

LemonMacPhisto said:
Can you name a bad song in this bunch?

Come Together
Something
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Oh! Darling
Octopus's Garden
Here Comes the Sun
Because
Sun King
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End
Her Majesty*

* bonus track

Well, there's no bad track I admit. But Come Together and Octopus's Garden bore me sometimes. Nevertheless, it's still my favorite Beatles album with Revolver coming close.

As for the Who, Quadrophenia is good but slightly overrated IMO. Never listened to Tommy. I love a handful of their songs like Won't Get Fooled Again, Love Reign O'er Me, Behind Blue Eyes etc. but they never keep my interest enough to get any albums. :shrug:

Octopus' Garden is one of my favourite songs off Abbey Road. Severely underated tune. So joyous and feel good, and I love Ringo's vocal.

ok...first off:
the movie is the shit..ok!
second:
the music was amazing
third:
it might not be the best of all time but baby its up there!!!!
:up: i love it

*i feel really late in this thread so pretend this is like the 3rd post. .and i'm trying not to be a bitch..it just comes out that way

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom