Tommy is the most overrated rock album of all time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do like Tommy a lot, it's in my Who Top 5. That being said, I think it's fairly rated by many. Most people I know say Who's Next is The Who's best album, which is true.

elevated_u2_fan said:

For saying Tommy is overated? pfft... of course it's overated!

If you told me you took a dump on a vintage vinyl copy of Abbey Road then yes, I would have you tarred and feathered...

Saying Tommy is overrated is like saying "by the way guys, did you know Stevie Wonder is blind?"

duh... :wink:

:up: Well, that's good.

Next week: an in-depth analysis of the torture that is In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. :shifty:

I might one day make a similar thread entitled:

"The Bends is the most overrated album of all time"

I'm gonna get savaged....

Most definitely. :up: I myself agree that it is overrated, but not enough to make a thread about it. :reject:

I agree with the hypothesis stated in the thread title. I would further add that the Who is the most overrated rock band of all time.

The Bends is ok, but I also think it's rather overrated. If Radiohead had stopped with the bends they'd probably have just faded away as a one hit wonder for Creep. OK Computer however, is brilliant. Because OK Computer was so good it seems people have a tendency to prove how awesome Radiohead was before. At least that how it seems to me and Radiohead is one of my favorite bands of all time. /babble.

UberBeaver said:
I would further add that the Who is the most overrated rock band of all time.

I'm not sure if I would go that far, because such a statement leaves no room for Neutral Milk Hotel, Nirvana, and the Doors. But I do agree with everything else you said. :yes: OK Computer is definitely Radiohead's best album, and that's a fact. You can look it up.

that Neutral Milk Hotel album is dreadful, but they're not overrated are they? Maybe in 1998 they were, but no one knows who they are now.

I do agree with Nirvana though, son of a beesting they were atrocious.

LemonMacPhisto said:
that Neutral Milk Hotel album is dreadful, but they're not overrated are they? Maybe in 1998 they were, but no one knows who they are now.

:shrug: Rateyourmusic users place it 31st on the greatest rock albums of all time list, pitchfork gave it a perfect 10, and it still sells really well on amazon. :| Yeah, I think that's enough to say the band (or at least the album) is overrated.

LemonMelon said:

I'm not sure if I would go that far, because such a statement leaves no room for Neutral Milk Hotel, Nirvana, and the Doors. But I do agree with everything else you said. :yes: OK Computer is definitely Radiohead's best album, and that's a fact. You can look it up.

KID A > you

:wink:

Pitchfork is run by a bunch of knobjobs. If it's indietastic enough, they'll give it an 11.2 for all they care.

Who the hell would buy that Neutral Milk Hotel album? A masochist?

Really, people complain about the guy from Bright Eyes's voice or sometimes Dylan's voice, but that guy is the worst.

xaviMF22 said:

KID A > you

Oh, come now. Drop your indietastic facade. We all know OKC is their best album. It's not even worth debating. One has Airbag, Paranoid Android, and Let Down, while the other doesn't. There's no comparison. :shrug:

LemonMacPhisto said:
Pitchfork is run by a bunch of knobjobs. If it's indietastic enough, they'll give it an 11.2 for all they care.

Who the hell would buy that Neutral Milk Hotel album? A masochist?

Really, people complain about the guy from Bright Eyes's voice or sometimes Dylan's voice, but that guy is the worst.

:yuck: NMH's singer is awful. The worst part is that the band decided to accentuate it by having so many acoustic songs. :huh: Not the smartest bunch, are they?

I've got to say, the only reason I think anyone would buy it is because of the hype (and if they had never heard a single note from it). Plus, it's one of those albums that you have to own or at least have heard if you want to sound like you know what you're talking about. I could name a few others like that:

c91429w551m.jpg

:rolleyes:

LemonMelon said:

Oh, come now. Drop your indietastic facade. We all know OKC is their best album. It's not even worth debating. One has Airbag, Paranoid Android, and Let Down, while the other doesn't. There's no comparison. :shrug:

bitch please

KID A > OK Computer

EIIRP, TNA, How to disaapear...> anything on OKC...

and Thom Yorke would agree :wink:

xaviMF22 said:

and Thom Yorke would agree :wink:

Maybe in some promotional interviews from the Kid A era. :wink:

All three songs you named are hopelessly overrated. And even if they weren't, they can't cover up the awful closer and (as fun as it can sometimes be) the filler-ish Treefingers. OKC wouldn't dream of having songs that lame on its surface.

Besides, you're just being argumentative for the sake of it right now...I've heard you many, many times say that Let Down is your favorite Radiohead song. :down:

LemonMelon said:

Maybe in some promotional interviews from the Kid A era. :wink:

All three songs you named are hopelessly overrated. And even if they weren't, they can't cover up the awful closer and (as fun as it can sometimes be) the filler-ish Treefingers. OKC wouldn't dream of having songs that lame on its surface.

actually Thom has said that kid A is his favorite track....that How to disappear completely is the best song that they
have ever done...but that's irrelevant...:wink:

and Motion picture is not awful :mad:

and have you ever heard of Fitter Happier?..hows that for filler...

you know what

THE who> you :wink:

Besides, you're just being argumentative for the sake of it right now...I've heard you many, many times say that Let Down is your favorite Radiohead song. :down:

yes Let Down is my favorite RH song.....:rolleyes:

but I think that KID A is the best RH record:wink:

Last edited:
xaviMF22 said:

actually Thom has said that kid A is his favorite track....that How to disappear completely is the best song that they
have ever done...but that's irrelevant...:wink:

and Motion picture is not awful :mad:

and have you ever heard of Fitter Happier?..hows that for filler...

you know what

THE who> you :wink:

Fitter Happier isn't any more filler-ish than 10 different songs on Tommy. It's part of the story. I'm sorry that it isn't 3 minutes long, as if that makes a song what it is. :down:

Quadrophenia > you :wink:

LemonMelon said:

:yuck: NMH's singer is awful. The worst part is that the band decided to accentuate it by having so many acoustic songs. :huh: Not the smartest bunch, are they?

I've got to say, the only reason I think anyone would buy it is because of the hype (and if they had never heard a single note from it). Plus, it's one of those albums that you have to own or at least have heard if you want to sound like you know what you're talking about. I could name a few others like that:

c91429w551m.jpg

:rolleyes:

yea that NMH album is quite awful

LemonMelon said:

I was being funny :wink:

what you consider as your favorite, isn't always what you think its the best...

take you for example...HTDAAB is your favorite U2 album...but do you consider it the best?..:wink:.. oh wait maybe you do :|

xaviMF22 said:

I was being funny :wink:

what you consider as your favorite, isn't always what you think its the best...

take you for example...HTDAAB is your favorite U2 album...but do you consider it the best?..:wink:.. oh wait maybe you do :|

Yeah, you were being funny all right. :p

Anyway, HTDAAB isn't my favorite U2 album...where did you get that idea? :slant: My top 5 is as follows:

1. Zooropa
2. Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. War
5. HTDAAB

I love it, but I get your analogy.

LemonMelon said:

Yeah, you were being funny all right. :p

Anyway, HTDAAB isn't my favorite U2 album...where did you get that idea? :slant: My top 5 is as follows:

1. Zooropa
2. Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. War
5. HTDAAB

I love it, but I get your analogy.

I :heart: ya for having Zooropa at the top:up:

and I thought HTDAAB was your favorite with the way you defend it :wink:

Our tastes aren't that different, xavi, we just like to nitpick over individual songs. :wink:

6. Achtung Baby
7. Boy
8. Rattle & Hum
9. ATYCLB
10. October
11. UF

:reject: Everything above Rattle & Hum I love.

Abbey. Road. You'd think the band never recorded anything else outside of that album.

U2girl said:
Abbey. Road. You'd think the band never recorded anything else outside of that album.

They might as well not have, considering Abbey Road is the best thing the band ever did. :love:

For some maybe. I'd consider Rubber Soul and all the later era albums - even the much hated, but ultimately underrated Let it be - better. Sgt Pepper could be nominated too, if it hadn't been so important at the time of its release.

You know things aren't right when George Harrison shows Lennon/McCartney how it's done.

U2girl said:

You know things aren't right when George Harrison shows Lennon/McCartney how it's done.

:down: Maybe on the first side, but, again, the second side is being discounted. Harrison had nothing at all to do with the pure brilliance that was the Abbey Road Medley, so I propose that Lennon/McCartney was just saving their best for last. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom