Tomato: Fruit or Vegetable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomato: Fruit or Vegetable

• fruit

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • vegetable

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • what the hell is that thing?

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
rtuting.gif

Is the tomato a fruit or vegetable?

What do you think?

Last edited:
Cucumbers have seeds. Is that a fruit too?

Do you normally put fruit on a hamburger?
Or In your green salad?

:scratch: :huh:

uh........maybe.............i dunno.........i just know that tomatoes are fruit cause they grow on the plant after the flower and are meant to grow more tomatoes.........uh..........yeah

tomato is a fruit...this i know cuz my daughter loves them, and normally hates vegetables. when she was 3 years old, she would go into the fridge, take a tomato, eat half of it, then put it back putting the eaten side face down so she wouldn't get caught.

TOMATO--FRUIT OR VEGETABLE?

Botanically speaking, the tomato you eat is a fruit. So is a watermelon, green pepper, eggplant, cucumber, and squash. A "fruit" is any fleshy material covering a seed or seeds.

Horticulturally speaking, the tomato is a vegetable plant. The plant is an annual and nonwoody. Most fruits, from a horticulture perspective, are grown on a woody plant (apples, cherries, raspberries, oranges) with the exception of strawberries.

In 1893, the United States Supreme Court ruled the tomato was a "vegetable" and therefore subject to import taxes. The suit was brought by a consortium of growers who wanted it declared a vegetable to protect U.S. crop development and prices. Fruits, at that time, were not subjected to import taxes and foreign countries could flood the market with lower priced produce. (A hundred years really hasn't changed anything.)

so which is it?:eyebrow: :lol: :eyebrow: :lol: :eyebrow:

I guess it depends on if you look at it Botanically, Horticulturally or live in the US where we write laws declaring fruit to be vegetables so we can tax tomatoes? :eeklaugh:

Okay I knew the Tomato was a fruit but then Sicy had to ask about cucumbers and I had no clue. So I found this: (Yea, I am one of those people who goes nuts if I don't know something and has to find the answer).

Is a cucumber a fruit or a vegetable? It is a fruit because it contains the seeds to reproduce.

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~bcohen/cucumbers/info.html

Is a cucumber a fruit or a vegetable? It is a fruit because it contains the seeds to reproduce.

so does that mean......that men are fruit also? :scratch: :p

ABEL said:
or live in the US where we write laws declaring fruit to be vegetables so we can tax tomatoes? :eeklaugh:

Or declare pi to be exactly 3? lol horray for blunders of the legal system. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom