Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
Damn, this is one fantastic album

Definitely in my top 10 albums of the 80's. Waits is a poetic virtuoso on level with cohen...but the two of them are really apples and oranges.

Cohen will make his lady melt in her shoes while Waits will just carry her off and pillage her village on the way out.

now, that's being a little unfair...Waits has quite a few of romantic ditty's, but his voice, the mood of the songs....I don't know....he's a damn pirate.

"In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king"

"I said hey little bird, fly away home
Your house is on fire, your children are alone"

"Well things are pretty lousy for a calendar girl
The boys just dive right off the cars and splash into the street
And when they're on a roll she pulls a razor from her boot
And a thousand pigeons fall around her feet
So put a candle in the window and a kiss upon his lips
As the dish outside the window fills with rain
Just like a stranger with the weeds in your heart
And pay the fiddler off 'til I come back again"

oh, I like Waits, but "In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king" is a very common Mexican saying

and yes, he's a poet

Tom Waits is, and always has been, the man. One of my favorite shows I ever saw was when he did a week in the Eugene O'Neil Theatre on Broadway back in 1987. It was just incredible.

Tom Waits is absolutely brilliant. Probably my second favorite artist behind U2. Now that I've seen U2, I want to see Waits more than any other artist. Have you heard "Real Gone", his new one?

:yes: It's great! A bit of a departure from the last few before it. It reminded me more of Bone Machine than anything else probably, but quieter and bluesier, with moments that hearken back to Franks Wild Years.

You see, some bullets is special for a single aim
A certain stag, or a certain person
And no matter where you are, that's where the bullet will end up
And in the moment of aiming, the gun turns into a dowser's wand
And point where the bullet wants to go...

-- "Crossroads" from The Black Rider

That bourbon-soaked gravelly drawl of his got me through a lot of miserable times back in my college days... :drool:

Back
Top Bottom