Tom Petty halftime shennanigans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
Didn't see a thread in B&C about this.

Just watched it now, as I missed the Halftime show originally. Man....pretty sad :( I love Tom Petty, but he barely made it through two songs without them wheeling him off in a coffin. It reminded me of those movies where the main characters try and pass off a dead guy in a wheelchair with a big hat and glasses as being alive.

That, and the giant phallic flying V into heart intro visuals. Man that made me crack up :lol:

The blatantly lip synched chorus to Free Falling was the icing on the stink cake. Not sure about the rest of the band but the guitar player with the Shelby paint job guitar wasn't playing live either.

Anyone else feel differently?

Last edited:
I'd actually been thinking of going to see him later this spring, but now only if he plays at the end of my street. Otherwise, it's too far to drive for someone whose energy level sort of made me think he might've recently had a stroke.

Paul McCartney was better, but barely. The highlight for me was Drive My Car. Every other song I had heard approximately 17824128461328463963596395 times. :yawn:

Petty was professional but uninteresting.

Oh yeah.

Alright.

Take it easy, baby.

Make it last all night.

(makeitlastallnight)

It was bad. Really bad. I'm with Phil, it still beats anything without instruments, but among the instruments, that was probably the worst.

Okay I know im going to get a LOT of shit for this because i am a big Kiss fan

but either u love them or hate them, they have to be a choice sooner then later, because mainly the most popular kiss songs, are songs that everyone knows by, and id rather have an "older" band in that sense like they have being doing the last few years (U2, PM, Prince, Tom Petty) and really I think Kiss is perfect for the next job just because o the age of them and they know how to pump it up even thought of there age.

Example, Kiss at Salt Lake City Olympics

U2democrat said:
I liked it :sad:

Me too.

I don't get the Tom Petty hate. Even if he did lip synch, it's not like this was one of his concerts on tour! It's just Superbowl, 15 or so hurried minutes of half time entertainment. Big deal! At least we got an accomplished band playing there instead of a hodgepodge of bad artists going thru wardrobe malfunctions. Give the guy a break! He looks old but still sounds great! I think anyway...

As far as Fox is concerned, better 15 minutes of an old guy not doing anything than a split second of a veiny tit.

I thought it was great, but then again I thought Prince was terrible.

The Rolling Stones in '06 were the best halftime show of the decade.

MrPryck2U said:
Tom never lip synched in his performance.

I was replying to this comment...

Canadiens1160 said:
The blatantly lip synched chorus to Free Falling was the icing on the stink cake.

... as well as the various people everywhere who thought he lip synched. I couldn't tell if he did or didn't (those definitely weren't the studio versions playing... were they other live versions? I dunno..) but I'm just saying it doesn't matter. Doesn't bother me. I enjoyed his performance.

Zootlesque said:

(those definitely weren't the studio versions playing... were they other live versions? I dunno..)

The rumor is that it was pre-recorded, not the studio version.

Free Fallin' was great and the guitar solo at the end. Other than that it was just average.

Back
Top Bottom