Tom Cruise on Oprah - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2005, 02:42 AM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 02:13 AM
With other religions (i.e. Catholicism, Islam etc), you don't have to pay extortionate amounts of money just so you can reach 'higher levels' only to find out that there are alien spirits to be exorcised in the world.

Still, whatever gets you through the night. I suppose all religions have their eccentricities, relatively-speaking.

Ant.

Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 05-28-2005, 02:54 AM   #77
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Scientology is eating his brain....
you should know these sorts of comments are not allowed here. no matter what you may think of the religion, you can't say things like this.

Old 05-28-2005, 03:02 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

....Zombies are eating his brain however.....

TOM -
Old 05-28-2005, 05:18 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

you should know these sorts of comments are not allowed here. no matter what you may think of the religion, you can't say things like this.
But these sort of comments from FYM are allowed? Why, because they refer to religion in general and not a particular religion? Sorry, I'm confused..

I think religion is mix of

- psychological fantansy
- mental delusion
- collective illusion caused by cumulative lies subjected during
childhood

For the creators of religion, its like

- a person who wants everyone to worship him or her .. I would first try to tell you "peacefully" , then bribe, then kill.
I mean a person who wants everyone to believe him is suffering
from mental illness.

How else you can explain
- No condoms
- No Homosexuality
- No suicide
- Lot of kids who needs to brainwashed during childhood.
- Kill non-believers
- Religious Wars
- The incentive of "heaven"
- lies
- miracles
Old 05-28-2005, 05:36 AM   #80
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:13 PM
That's where we have a stalemate Mrs S, as when people say with all good intentions, we are sinners, and then add it's human condition, and not an insult..Non believers are suposed to accept it.
We all end up slightly or more than slightly, offended, and we achieve very little.

Sorry, I am taking this way off topic. I was just reading your reply in one of the upper threads in FYM and you had me pondering all this anyway
Old 05-28-2005, 09:01 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

But these sort of comments from FYM are allowed? Why, because they refer to religion in general and not a particular religion? Sorry, I'm confused..

I think religion is mix of

- psychological fantansy
- mental delusion
- collective illusion caused by cumulative lies subjected during
childhood

For the creators of religion, its like

- a person who wants everyone to worship him or her .. I would first try to tell you "peacefully" , then bribe, then kill.
I mean a person who wants everyone to believe him is suffering
from mental illness.

How else you can explain
- No condoms
- No Homosexuality
- No suicide
- Lot of kids who needs to brainwashed during childhood.
- Kill non-believers
- Religious Wars
- The incentive of "heaven"
- lies
- miracles
The difference is certainly that no religion is being singled out. I look at that as being more then an actual discussion, and a thought provoking one at that. Some may not like it or agree with it, but it atleast it isn't an outright insult.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:08 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Quote:
I like Tom Cruise now. His insanity has come to the fore. He had no personality before.

4a
Old 05-28-2005, 10:15 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Well I take it as an outright insult, as I don't consider myself to be living in psychological fantasy, mental delusion, or to be religious due to "lies" I was subjected to during my childhood. I see nothing thought provoking about those statements-to me they're stereotypes, generalizations, and rather prejudiced statements coming from someone who has posted this type of thing about religion numerous times, even in threads that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do w/ religion. I think it's certainly a double standard that someone is allowed to make statements like that as long as they don't refer to a specific religion.

And I never said one thing about Scientology
Old 05-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:13 AM
MrsSpringsteen, I agree that other post in the other thread wasn't appropriate either. You raised a valid point (either here or in the other thread) about not knowing if people are receiving private warnings. It does make it more difficult for the rest of us to gauge whether someone has gotten away with inappropriate comments.

Theres quite a bit that is said about Athiests/Agnostics/NonReligious people that appears to be okay to say here. Or perhaps the posters have received private warnings that I'm not aware of.

Just as a side note, Angie, I know the "we are all sinners", "you are going to hell" type comments irk you and I respect that. I disagree that the comments are offensive to "nonbelievers". I actually think those comments are offensive to some religious types. As another type of nonbeliever I personally don't recognise the concept of sin nor hell so I'm not fussed about people saying "we are all sinners". That's religious peoples in-lingo and therefore not applicable to me. If that makes sense. But I do understand that some religious people would find those comments very offensive indeed.

PS Im rambling.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #85
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
But these sort of comments from FYM are allowed? Why, because they refer to religion in general and not a particular religion? Sorry, I'm confused.. [/B]
i think you seemed to have confused which forum you're in. see, this is zoo station, for discussing television and movies. if you want to discuss religion in general or a specific religion, then by all means go ahead. but not here.

given the number of people we have on this forum and the diversity, there's bound to be scientologists on this forum. and no matter what my views on scientology are, saying it's eating tom cruise's brain is totally out of line. if you can't see why i think this, then i'm sorry.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:44 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Is that really necessary? I'm not stupid khanada, I know which forum this is . Geez, it's no wonder that most times I am afraid to involve myself in a situation like this. Is it really appropriate for a mod to speak to someone like that? I don't happen to think so. I did nothing to warrant that. Frankly I find being spoken to like that insulting.

And I also never said I thought it was appropriate to say something like that about Scientology, did I?

I don't see the difference in talking about this in this forum vs the entire forum since the thread derailed quite some time ago. This started out talking about Tom Cruise on Oprah, but I was not the one who turned the discussion, was I? No, I merely posted some silly gifs.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:17 AM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

Melon
Old 05-29-2005, 01:22 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Melon
No, Melon! Don't get ideas into Mod's heads!

Old 05-29-2005, 02:41 PM   #89
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Is that really necessary?
you're right, it wasn't. sorry, i think i totally misinterpreted your reply. i agree with your stance really, i just don't think this is the appropriate thread or forum to be discussing religion in. (i'm not referring to your specific post or anything, but the thread as a whole.)

i have no problems keeping this thread open, but can we please get back on topic?
Old 05-30-2005, 03:59 AM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
i have no problems keeping this thread open, but can we please get back on topic?
No probs - I will!.....

TOM -