Tom Cruise on Oprah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you are asking the wrong people judging by the bigoted statement about Scientology in this thread.

Try googling Scientology or L Ron Hubbard. I'm not a Scientologist myself so I'm no help I'm afraid.

Last edited:
beli said:
I think you are asking the wrong people judging by the bigoted statement about Scientology in this thread.

bigoted how? mind you not trying to start an argument with you, I just can't see what statement lead you to that opinion. My earlier *cough* comment about Cruise was directed at the fact that he was glad people (namely his ex) tolerated and respected what he believed in; however, he couldn't extend that same respect and toleration to one of his former co-stars.

Aardvark, Scientology is a religon, some of the things they believe go against modern science and technology; hence why it is sometimes frowned upon. I don't agree with some of their teachings, methods, or beliefs; but it works for some people. It's funny, because in all interviews with Scientologists I've seen, where they are asked what exactly is scientology; the response is vague and often confusing. Which probably adds to people's skeptism of it.

I was critical of Cruise's comments, I wasn't critical of Scientology. The guy can believe whatever he wants to, but I have a problem with him lamblasting other people for their medical problems and decisions. He's not a doctor and his holier-than-thou attitude is nasty. It wouldn't matter if he was spouting it off from a position of Catholicism or Buddhism. It's still intolerant.

I could care less what anyone believes, but throwing statements around about medicine and science is, frankly, dangerous.

Bigoted or not, Scientologists 'do' believe that we are possessed by alien spirits - make of that what you will.

Anr.

AvsGirl41 said:
I don't think he has any personal experience, let alone any medical knowledge and should keep his opinions to himself. :down:

Scientology is very anti-mental illness treatment. It teaches that mental illness and distress is the result of being possessed by an evil spirit or something and that you need Scientology to rid that spirit from you.

I think the story goes something like Xenu blew up the world 75 billion years ago (yes, 75 billion years ago) with tons of nuclear bombs, because of its depravity and the resulting souls now haunt the Earth to make our lives miserable. If you're mentally ill, that means you've got one of those spirits inside you. :huh:

Anyway, as crazy as that is, I guess its not too different from the Christian Scientists.

Tom Cruise used to be a very devout Catholic, and, at one point, was going to be a priest. The story goes that he became a highly devout Scientologist after he claimed it cured his dyslexia in the early 1990s. Anyway, looking at his behavior on "Oprah," I'm not too surprised. It looks like he's actually a very emotionally-driven person, and he's just hid it for a long time under a stoic exterior.

Melon

Last edited:
beli said:

This is the bigoted statement to which I was refering.

Replace the word "Scientology" with Catholicism, Islam, Buddhism, etc and try and tell me thats not a bigoted remark.

Funny, it's one of the few times NBC and I have ever agreed on anything related to religion, but it is odd that that same statement would be considered horrid if it was said about various other religions.

Originally posted by AvsGirl41
I was critical of Cruise's comments, I wasn't critical of Scientology. The guy can believe whatever he wants to, but I have a problem with him lamblasting other people for their medical problems and decisions. He's not a doctor and his holier-than-thou attitude is nasty. It wouldn't matter if he was spouting it off from a position of Catholicism or Buddhism. It's still intolerant.

I could care less what anyone believes, but throwing statements around about medicine and science is, frankly, dangerous.

Yes I agree with you on this, except I am critical of Scientology (as I am of various other belief systems that hold similar views). I have no problem with what he chooses to believe, but his comments about Shields and her choices were over the line. And I feel it's dangerous to substitute religion for proper mental health treatment, so that is one of my major beefs with Scientology.

indra said:

Funny, it's one of the few times NBC and I have ever agreed on anything related to religion, but it is odd that that same statement would be considered horrid if it was said about various other religions.

I guess we are all slightly blind to our own hypocrisies, especially if we happen to agree. I know I agree too with nbc on that remark, but it doesn't make him more right or wrong, it just makes me wrong for doing just that.

Ah, we're all intolerant in some way.
:huh:

Angela Harlem said:

I guess we are all slightly blind to our own hypocrisies, especially if we happen to agree. I know I agree too with nbc on that remark, but it doesn't make him more right or wrong, it just makes me wrong for doing just that.

Ah, we're all intolerant in some way.
:huh:

I just thought it was very funny we agreed on it because I know he'd be pissed if someone said it about his religion.

I already have the reputation among some as a christian bashing bitch (CBB -- yet another nick name! :D ), so it's not unusual for me. ;)

beli said:

This is the bigoted statement to which I was refering.

Replace the word "Scientology" with Catholicism, Islam, Buddhism, etc and try and tell me thats not a bigoted remark.

Okay I see your point, thanks.

Of course one could argue that certain sects of all those religons could "eat your brain" as well ;)

With other religions (i.e. Catholicism, Islam etc), you don't have to pay extortionate amounts of money just so you can reach 'higher levels' only to find out that there are alien spirits to be exorcised in the world.

Still, whatever gets you through the night. I suppose all religions have their eccentricities, relatively-speaking.

Ant.

KhanadaRhodes said:

you should know these sorts of comments are not allowed here. no matter what you may think of the religion, you can't say things like this.

But these sort of comments from FYM are allowed? Why, because they refer to religion in general and not a particular religion? Sorry, I'm confused..

I think religion is mix of

- psychological fantansy
- mental delusion
- collective illusion caused by cumulative lies subjected during
childhood

For the creators of religion, its like

- a person who wants everyone to worship him or her .. I would first try to tell you "peacefully" , then bribe, then kill.
I mean a person who wants everyone to believe him is suffering
from mental illness.

How else you can explain
- No condoms
- No Homosexuality
- No suicide
- Lot of kids who needs to brainwashed during childhood.
- Kill non-believers
- Religious Wars
- The incentive of "heaven"
- lies
- miracles

That's where we have a stalemate Mrs S, as when people say with all good intentions, we are sinners, and then add it's human condition, and not an insult..Non believers are suposed to accept it.
We all end up slightly or more than slightly, offended, and we achieve very little.

Sorry, I am taking this way off topic. I was just reading your reply in one of the upper threads in FYM and you had me pondering all this anyway :)

MrsSpringsteen said:

But these sort of comments from FYM are allowed? Why, because they refer to religion in general and not a particular religion? Sorry, I'm confused..

I think religion is mix of

- psychological fantansy
- mental delusion
- collective illusion caused by cumulative lies subjected during
childhood

For the creators of religion, its like

- a person who wants everyone to worship him or her .. I would first try to tell you "peacefully" , then bribe, then kill.
I mean a person who wants everyone to believe him is suffering
from mental illness.

How else you can explain
- No condoms
- No Homosexuality
- No suicide
- Lot of kids who needs to brainwashed during childhood.
- Kill non-believers
- Religious Wars
- The incentive of "heaven"
- lies
- miracles

The difference is certainly that no religion is being singled out. I look at that as being more then an actual discussion, and a thought provoking one at that. Some may not like it or agree with it, but it atleast it isn't an outright insult.

Well I take it as an outright insult, as I don't consider myself to be living in psychological fantasy, mental delusion, or to be religious due to "lies" I was subjected to during my childhood. I see nothing thought provoking about those statements-to me they're stereotypes, generalizations, and rather prejudiced statements coming from someone who has posted this type of thing about religion numerous times, even in threads that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do w/ religion. I think it's certainly a double standard that someone is allowed to make statements like that as long as they don't refer to a specific religion.

And I never said one thing about Scientology :shrug:

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen, I agree that other post in the other thread wasn't appropriate either. You raised a valid point (either here or in the other thread) about not knowing if people are receiving private warnings. It does make it more difficult for the rest of us to gauge whether someone has gotten away with inappropriate comments.

Theres quite a bit that is said about Athiests/Agnostics/NonReligious people that appears to be okay to say here. Or perhaps the posters have received private warnings that I'm not aware of.

Just as a side note, Angie, I know the "we are all sinners", "you are going to hell" type comments irk you and I respect that. I disagree that the comments are offensive to "nonbelievers". I actually think those comments are offensive to some religious types. As another type of nonbeliever I personally don't recognise the concept of sin nor hell so I'm not fussed about people saying "we are all sinners". That's religious peoples in-lingo and therefore not applicable to me. If that makes sense. But I do understand that some religious people would find those comments very offensive indeed.

PS Im rambling. :)

MrsSpringsteen said:
But these sort of comments from FYM are allowed? Why, because they refer to religion in general and not a particular religion? Sorry, I'm confused.. [/B]
i think you seemed to have confused which forum you're in. see, this is zoo station, for discussing television and movies. if you want to discuss religion in general or a specific religion, then by all means go ahead. but not here.

given the number of people we have on this forum and the diversity, there's bound to be scientologists on this forum. and no matter what my views on scientology are, saying it's eating tom cruise's brain is totally out of line. if you can't see why i think this, then i'm sorry.

Is that really necessary? I'm not stupid khanada, I know which forum this is . Geez, it's no wonder that most times I am afraid to involve myself in a situation like this. Is it really appropriate for a mod to speak to someone like that? I don't happen to think so. I did nothing to warrant that. Frankly I find being spoken to like that insulting.

And I also never said I thought it was appropriate to say something like that about Scientology, did I?

I don't see the difference in talking about this in this forum vs the entire forum since the thread derailed quite some time ago. This started out talking about Tom Cruise on Oprah, but I was not the one who turned the discussion, was I? No, I merely posted some silly gifs.

newhotlockfolder.gif

:hmm:

Melon

MrsSpringsteen said:
Is that really necessary?
you're right, it wasn't. sorry, i think i totally misinterpreted your reply. :huh: i agree with your stance really, i just don't think this is the appropriate thread or forum to be discussing religion in. (i'm not referring to your specific post or anything, but the thread as a whole.)

i have no problems keeping this thread open, but can we please get back on topic? :wave:

Back
Top Bottom