Tom Cruise Not Allowed At German Military Sites - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Tom Cruise Not Allowed At German Military Sites

Regardless of what they think of Scientology that is blatant discrimination and just wrong. Especially since Scientology has nothing to do with the movie.

BERLIN, Germany (Reuters) -- Germany has barred the makers of a movie about a plot to kill Adolf Hitler from filming at German military sites because its star Tom Cruise is a Scientologist, the Defense Ministry said on Monday.

Cruise, also one of the film's producers, is a member of the Church of Scientology which the German government does not recognize as a church. Berlin says it masquerades as a religion to make money, a charge Scientology leaders reject.

The decision drew a sharp response from Cruise's film producing partner, Paula Wagner, chief executive of United Artists Entertainment, who said Cruise's "personal beliefs have absolutely no bearing on the movie's plot, themes or content."

The U.S. actor will portray Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, leader of the unsuccessful attempt to assassinate the Nazi dictator in July 1944 with a bomb hidden in a briefcase.

Defense Ministry spokesman Harald Kammerbauer said the film makers "will not be allowed to film at German military sites if Count Stauffenberg is played by Tom Cruise, who has publicly professed to being a member of the Scientology cult."

"In general, the Bundeswehr (German military) has a special interest in the serious and authentic portrayal of the events of July 20, 1944 and Stauffenberg's person," Kammerbauer said.

Stauffenberg had been deeply opposed to the Nazis' treatment of the Jews and planted a briefcase bomb under a table near Hitler in his "Wolf's Lair" headquarters on July 20, 1944. The bomb went off but only wounded the Fuehrer.

The film, slated for a 2008 release, will be directed by Bryan Singer and co-star Kenneth Branagh. It is called "Valkyrie" after Operation Valkyrie, the plot's codename.

In a statement, Wagner said von Stauffenberg is characterized as a "heroic and principled figure."

"We believe it (the film) will go a long way toward reminding the world that even within the ranks of the German military, there was real resistance to the Nazi regime," she said.

The main site of interest would be the "Bendlerblock" memorial inside the Defense Ministry complex in Berlin, where Stauffenberg and his co-conspirators hatched the plot and where he and his closest comrades were executed when it failed.

Kammerbauer said the ministry had not yet received official filming requests from the producers of "Valkyrie."

While Wagner did not cite requests for specific locations, she did add: "We believe Germany is the only place we can truly do the story justice."

Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:07 AM
Audit THAT, bitch!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

That's ridiculous. I'm in agreement about it being an extortionist/brain-washing cult for rich people (it was Cruise's wife before Nicole Kidman that brought him to it) which is unfortunate, but that doesn't change Cruise's talent as an actor.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Anything to keep Scientology from spreading.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Well how exactly would he be spreading Scientology by filming that role there? It's not as if it's Battlefield Earth..

They don't think it's a religion but those are his beliefs, people shouldn't have their work adversely affected by their religious beliefs.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Even though I don't agree with Scientology I think it is discrimmination. Why can we make films about Christ but he can't make a film about his beliefs?? The German Government said that Scientology is not a "real religion, but only a business to collect money." Geee isn't Christianity, Judaism and Islam the same?? It's a business but with God in it, so they get tax exemptions.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
New Yorker

...wow... you can't make this shit up....this is crazy
Old 06-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:07 PM
I have a hard time being outraged about this on the grounds of religious discrimination (as some have argued), because I have a hard time seeing Scientology as an actual religion.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:07 AM
I don't think it is recognised in the UK here either, due to having to pay to up your levels in the religion, plus all the cultish aspects of it ie getting cut off from your family for leaving etc.

Apparently there are more Jedis in the UK than scientologists
Old 06-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm not outraged at it as discrimination(as I've said it's said the brainwashing that goes on) but as Mrs. Springsteen said the movie isn't about Scientology, it's about hunting down Hitler, give me a break.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I'm certainly no fan at all of some of the things Tom has said and done in the name of his beliefs (ie Brooke Shields etc.) and I have real doubts about Scientology and its' methods, but I just think this is fundamentally unfair.

I am not into judging whether it is a religion or not, I respect anyone's beliefs and just ask them to respect mine. But of course I might disagree with how they use those beliefs. We all know what happened in German history when an evil man hated a whole group of people because of their religion. Just to make it perfectly clear that I'm not in any way comparing the two, but it's a small touch of irony. Anyone can say anyone's beliefs are not a religion and use it against them accordingly.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Just read about what Scientology really is. I had no idea. But this is ridiculous, what does it have to do with filming a movie about Hitler?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #13
Acrobat

I am outraged.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #14
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms
I am outraged.
what is the Hoff doing in your siggy?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #15
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Where to start...

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Even though I don't agree with Scientology I think it is discrimmination. Why can we make films about Christ but he can't make a film about his beliefs?? The German Government said that Scientology is not a "real religion, but only a business to collect money." Geee isn't Christianity, Judaism and Islam the same?? It's a business but with God in it, so they get tax exemptions.
Um. Yeah. Technically, this is not a film about his beliefs. Secondly, Scientology is clearly a bunch of completely fabricated bullshit (Alien overlords, spaceships that look like DC-3s, thetan levels...) spewed from the mind of a nasty, petty, greedy con-artist extraordinaire and perpetuated by his nasty, petty, greedy (and in some cases homicidal) minions ever since.

http://www.xenu.net/

I should expect a lawsuit any day now.

That said, the German government is definitely overreacting, but given Scientology's penchant for corruption, blackmailing and bullying, I don't blame em for keeping their distance.