Tolkien fans: Are you a dwarf, elf, or hobbit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
If you were in Tolkien's middle earth, what woul you be?

I'd like to be an elf. There's something so romantic about their connection with nature, and their longing for the sea. There's a feeling of sadness surrounding them, but they manage to be the most eloquent of all Tolkien's creatures nonetheless.

I'd probably do better as a hobbit. I'm short. I enjoy singing and being totally silly. I like to 'disappear' once in a while.

I'd be Tom Bombadil.

Barring that, let's go with an elf.

I once took a poetry class for my English degree where we had to do presentations in front of the class on poems. One day one of the other women in the class gave her presentation and her husband sat in on it. The next day, she mentioned to me that she'd something to him about another woman in the class--not meaning me--and he'd said "Oh, the one who looked really elvin?"--meaning me. I thought that was lovely
smile.gif
I guess I'd probably be an elf. I don't know who I most identify with in Middle-Earth, it's hard to say. My favourite character is Gandalf but I don't exactly identify with him. I've concluded that my favourite literary characters--Gandalf, Sherlock Holmes, Merlin--are all aspects of the same archetype.

------------------
So wind blow through to my heart
So wind blow through my soul

Originally posted by Squid:
I'd be Tom Bombadil.

Barring that, let's go with an elf.

There is only one Tom Bombadil. BTW, how do you picture Tom? I see him as Santa, but about 100 pounds lighter, 30 years younger(ageless, mind you). Of course not in a red suit.

I gotta see what you look like now, Scatteroflight. I think elves are pretty. Hee hee.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
A Nazgul.
biggrin.gif

About a year ago my brother and I were talking about LOTR and came up with this: The official airline of Mordor would be...MordAir.

Say this in your best Nazgul voice: "Welcome aboard MordAaaaiiiirrrr! I will be your Nazgul for this flight. Please contact an Orc if you need any assistance."

I know, I'm weird.

To UnforgettableLemon:
biggrin.gif
But I'm one of those people with no scanner and no immediate plans to buy one, so I suspect my picture will never be seen by the denizens of the Net...

------------------

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
I'd like to be an elf. There's something so romantic about their connection with nature, and their longing for the sea. There's a feeling of sadness surrounding them, but they manage to be the most eloquent of all Tolkien's creatures nonetheless.

I'm an elf girl all the way. This will sound mega dorky but when I was little I had this crush (well book crush) on Legalus, that you would not belive. The elves are so melencholy and horribly romantic, plus they can walk on top of snow. That is way cool. Besides I'm six feet tall I couldn't be a hobbit or a dwarf. Although Hobbits are inherently likeable and endearing...

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose. http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~kljense3/MrTvs.html

[This message has been edited by notiti (edited 11-08-2001).]

Originally posted by notiti:
I'm an elf girl all the way. This will sound mega dorky but when I was little I had this crush (well book crush) on Legalus, that you would not belive. The elves are so melencholy and horribly romantic, plus they can walk on top of snow. That is way cool. Besides I'm six feet tall I couldn't be a hobbit or a dwarf. Although Hobbits are inherently likeable and endearing...

Actually, I think it's really cool to be getting replies from girls who like LOTR, all the girls around here are the kind who think it's child-stuff, and they're too busy gossiping and making up crap about their former best friends to use their imagination in a good way. I just have this vision in my head of dancing under the trees in Lothlorien with an Elven princess. Sigh...

[This message has been edited by UnforgettableLemon (edited 11-09-2001).]

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
Actually, I think it's really cool to be getting replies from girls who like LOTR, all the girls around here are the kind who think it's child-stuff, and they're too busy gossiping and making up crap about their former best friends to use their imagination in a good way. I just have this vision in my head of dancing under the trees in Lothlorien with an Elven princess. Sigh...

[This message has been edited by UnforgettableLemon (edited 11-09-2001).]

There are plenty of girls out there who like LOTR. Though fantasy seems to be more of a male thing than a female thing. I love fantasy when it's well done, which I think it only seldom is. I actually prefer children's fantasies on the whole to ones aimed at adults. But LOTR is a cut above almost everything--it's the fantasy you have to read even if you don't like fantasy. I first read it when I was 8. It was over my head then, but I have read it many many times since. Every time it amazes me--it's even better than I remembered.

------------------

Back
Top Bottom