Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
4988002495634mgt5.jpg

My goodness, what a brilliant record. Wow. Uh. Where to start.

Seriously, it's a shame hardly anyone has heard of Todd Rundgren, because he is ridiculously talented, and I've never heard a Rundgren album that proved this more effectively than Something/Anything did.

2 CDs of pure pop/funk/soul/country/blues/R&B/noise rock bliss. :drool: It's almost scary that something this eclectic was released way back in 1972. I Saw The Light and Hello, It's Me are great songs, but are just a small speck of what makes this album great.

I Saw The Light
Wolfman Jack
Cold Morning Light
Breathless
The Night The Carousel Burned Down
Song Of The Viking
I Went To The Mirror
Black Maria
Torch Song
Hello, It's Me
Slut

Are my favorites, but there are even more great songs here than those.

This may actually be my favorite double album of all time, by any artist. :drool: (This isn't all that great of a compliment, considering that I find most double albums to be disappointing, but I really do love this album)

My favorite thread ever. Unfortunately, you and I might be the only Todd fans here. :reject: It is a crime that this album isn't well know or that no one knows who Todd Rundgren is. Black Maria, Song Of The Viking, It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference, Cold Morning Light and Intro are my favorites. The most amazing part is that Todd played all the instruments. The production is among the best you'll find on any album. It is a masterpeice. :drool: :drool: :drool: I think if people heard this and Todd's other work they'd be hooked.

Do you have A Wizard, A True Star and Todd?

I don't know much of his work, but this album is great. I Saw the Light is an amazing pop song.

Screwtape2 said:
My favorite thread ever. Unfortunately, you and I might be the only Todd fans here. :reject: It is a crime that this album isn't well know or that no one knows who Todd Rundgren is. Black Maria, Song Of The Viking, It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference, Cold Morning Light and Intro are my favorites. The most amazing part is that Todd played all the instruments. The production is among the best you'll find on any album. It is a masterpeice. :drool: :drool: :drool: I think if people heard this and Todd's other work they'd be hooked.

Do you have A Wizard, A True Star and Todd?

Indeed, the production is fantastic and especially epic for 1972. :yes: The pure vastness of this record makes my head explode. :combust:

I've listened to Wizard (yet another incredibly wild, exciting album BTW), but I don't technically own it yet. :reject:

I remember when I was younger liking 'Hello It's Me'. And the only other song I recognize there is 'I Saw The Light'. Just my
2cents.gif

This was a favorite record of mine in high school. I am old enough to have once had the album. :reject:

I'm on Sometimes I Don't Know What To Feel, and Wizard is an amazing record so far. This is what pop should sound like.

Originally posted by Screwtape2

Did you ever get into his other work?

I also had "Hermit of Mink Hollow" in high school and "Todd." I was a pretty big fan but after I got rid of my album collection I just never replaced his stuff on CD. Plus, I don't know if I could/would listen to them today anyway if I did have them, except for a few songs. There are some things that I heard so much when they originally came out (Pink Floyd, The Who, The Stones, are other examples) that I just never had any desire to listen to them again today since there's so much current stuff I like better. I guess it's different if you're younger and more recently discovering them.

Don't get me wrong, though, I think that anyone who doesn't know his music should check it out. At the time, there was no one else like him and I thought he was a genius, and I was also surprised that he faded so quickly into oblivion--or maybe he didn't but I just lost track of him.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom