To Timbuktu and back again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
So I just got back from Timbuktu. I guess that with all the travelling I have done in my short life, going to the "end of the world" is an obvious thing, but if you had told me a year ago that I would have the opportunity, I wouldn't have believed it.

It was an amazing time. I rode a camel in the Sahara, had tea with some Tuaregs and climbed a sand dune. Amongst other things. Met the President of Mali and the First Lady. Ate more roast mutton than in the entirety of my life. Made friends with a Tuareg named Mohammed (actually, they all seem to be named Mohammed) who although a formidable figure in his flowing robes and turban is a friendly gregarious guy who carves amazing things out of goat leather.

Anyways, I am trying to write up a better description of the trip and I have pictures which I will try to scan and post.

Merry Christmas to all. :wave:

Welcome back! Can't wait to see your pics! Go see the movie now! :wave:

:up:

Looks like you had a great trip Sula! I can't wait to read a full account (and see the pictures). You met the president of Mali! :eek:

:wave:

Marty

Welcome Back Home Sula! I'd ask if you had a lovely Christmas, but after a trip like that, it would hard to beat that ;)

Thanks for being interested guys. Half the fun of travel is being able to recount your stories to your friends. :) I've written up a little memoir of my time there and posted it in my journal here if anyone is interested. I'll post the pics in here when I get them scanned. Cheers!

Untitled-1.jpg

more pics

Timbuktu as seen from the desert

Timbuktu%20as%20seen%20from%20the%20desert.jpg

My friend and me on a dune in the Sahara

Vanessa%20and%20me%20on%20a%20sand%20dune%20in%20the%20Sahara.jpg

Waiting at the airport to meet and greet officials

Vanessa%20and%20me%20at%20the%20airport%20in%20Timbuktu%20waiting%20to%20meet%20and%20greet%20officials.jpg

Tuareg man dressed up as the ghost rider Al-Farouk
Tuareg%20man%20dressed%20up%20as%20the%20Ghost%20Rider%20Al-Farouk.jpg

Sula!

Happy Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

U a very cool cat. U got the look. Great pics.

My family recently told me to send you the nicest greetings. My father was (nearly) angry with me, because I told him about your emails and he said why I haven?t brought them for him to read. So, I have to do that. btw, he may pass in MPLS next summer/ autumn. I will ... maybe have to skip it, as I just got 6 weeks holidays per year, and you know the Costa Rica and Jamaica plans.. anyway, I hope I?ll be in NY and New Orleans and use Miami as a hub. Possible that I go to California, but nothing fixed yet, as summer 2004 is king far away.

I am sure you spend a great time, and oh, I am so happy for your freedom.

Meeting presidents :up: (you?re definitely on your way, remember, you started out with European majors, haha)

Give them my regards if you happen to meet them again :)

Like always, I am sending you all the Best

Take care,,,........

:wave:

Center for Higher Islamic Studies. Notice the architecture and doors. Very typical of Timbuktu.

An%20example%20of%20the%20ornate%20doors%20Timbuktu%20is%20famous%20for.jpg

Courtyard%20in%20the%20Center%20for%20Higher%20Islamic%20Studies%20-%20Ahmed%20Baba.jpg

A little caravan of camels and goats.

Small%20caravan%20of%20camels%20and%20goats.jpg

My new friend Mohammed, his sister, and myself at the Maison des Artisans

Mohammed%2C%20his%20sister%20and%20I%20in%20the%20workshopmarket%20for%20handcrafts%20in%20Timbuktu.jpg

Mohammed on his camel

Mohammed%20on%20his%20camel.jpg

And finally, sunset over the Sahara Desert.
Sunset%20over%20the%20Sahara.jpg

Thanks for coming along on my little visual journey.

:wave: hiphop! Yes, it all started with Austrian politicians. :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom