To root canal or not root canal? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: to root or not to root, that is the question
yes, they are worth it. buy some time with one 8 61.54%
no, they are not. why put off the inevitable? 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:17 AM
To root canal or not root canal?

If I understand correctly, root canals are for a tooth which has had the nerve die in, right? The dentist removes it and temporaily places something or other technical in the tooth to give it a few more years - but the tooth eventually has to come out because it cannot live without a nerve, right?

So...if this is true, is there any point? Should the tooth just be removed instead initially, and save a few years and hundreds of dollars?

Old 12-01-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 03:17 PM
I don't know anything about that but good luck.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:17 AM
thanks chook! i'm wimping out with the temporary filling option at the moment til i can spare the courage or dollars

there's something seriously wrong with people who become dentists.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:10 PM   #4
War Child

Well, they do have the highest suicide rate....
Old 12-01-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 06:17 AM
I had my first root canal a year ago. It was a piece of cake. Or the endo was just really good, but it was not uncomfortable and horrible like so many people had forewarned. You know all the horror stories.....anyway it was all for naught (Oh and I had to pay $200 out ofpocket at the time of the appt. for the procedure. Great dental coverage......NOT!) about a month later I Was having some pain in the tooth and went back to the endo who said the tooth had cracked and would have to be extracted. So I was then sent to a THIRD dental office where they do extractions. I called ahead for a Sat. appt figuring this can't be too bad....and was told my out of pocket would be $65. Not only did I wait nearly THREE HOURS that Sat morning in pain, past my appt., but when I finally was put into a chair I was talked into gas which was sooooooooooo nice and quick....the tooth was out in a matter of about 2 minutes after breathing some vanilla smelling gas through a mask and I was asked for $300. I only had $100 so they took that and have been bugging me for the other $200 ever since even tho my insurance says I don't have to pay it, they were charging much more than the procedure should have cost.

Anyway. It gets better......I have this space between my bottom right molars because I cannot afford to pay for the work that "should" be done (or so I am told should be done) to "fix it". I saw 3 dentists who quoted me varying amounts between $600 to $2400 OUT OF POCKET which means over and above what insurance would cover....to put in a bridge.

Dentists are a rip off all right. I'll go without the tooth and endure the space thankyouverymuch. And now I have 2 cracked molars on the bottom LEFT side of my mouth so I am a dentist's wet dream really.....they could probably buy their mistress a new car with what they'd charge to "fix up" what work they feel needs to be done in my mouth. I just have other priorities.

I didn't know dentists have the highest suicide rate. Interesting.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:15 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 AM
Well, a root canal can last you anywhere from 10-20 years, so it's not really a waste of money in the sense that it's a semi-permanent solution. I would probably take my chances with it rather than removing the tooth outright. You may get lucky and it lasts you for a very long time.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
Blue Crack Overdose

You do have a point there. Unfortunately, I was, as is my luck, quite unlucky!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 AM
Yeah I think it's probably a matter of gambling in life. YOu could get lucky or it could really end up a huge irritation.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:17 AM
holy crap Anna, is there any part of you that isn't falling apart just now?

Old 12-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

or they put a cap on it. they saved one of mine that way.

and then you can put my initials on it
Old 12-01-2005, 09:52 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

i need a root canal too, but have no dental insurance to pay for one, so instead I just have a giant hole in my tooth !
Old 12-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #12
Blue Crack Overdose

Dental insurance actually sucks
Old 12-01-2005, 10:37 PM   #13
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Do it Anna, I'm surviving mine. The first bit wasn't the greatest but I survived (mega dental wimp), the second bit was okay (no pain killers needed afterwards), I have another bit to go next week (I think) and then the rest after Christmas. You don't have to pay for it all at once and if you have health insurance they cover a good whack of it. If you just have the extraction then there is nothing for the bottom (or top) tooth to bite against which can cause more problems with that tooth.

I'll come and hold your hand if you put it off for a coupla weeks
Old 12-02-2005, 08:51 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:17 AM
I can't wait to have more root canals!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Well, a root canal can last you anywhere from 10-20 years, so it's not really a waste of money in the sense that it's a semi-permanent solution. I would probably take my chances with it rather than removing the tooth outright. You may get lucky and it lasts you for a very long time.
Indeed, mine is still holding up after a couple of years but I guess it depends the quality of your tooth. Did your dentist give you any advice?

On word of advice if you're going to have a root canal: make sure your sufficiently anaesthetized. They decided not to give me an injection because they thought my nerve was already dead but when they came to the root I "found out" there was still some life in it. So I had to decide if I wanted an anaesthetic for the remaining 30 seconds, I declined and experienced the most horrible 30 seconds of my life after that.