To read or not to read...that is the question... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 03-30-2005, 05:17 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:39 AM
that question isn't for me, surely... because without the lyrics I miss words sometimes, my English isn't that good yet, with the lyrics I understand that words I can't hear well

Old 03-30-2005, 09:38 PM   #17
love, blood, life
Local Time: 12:39 PM
Originally posted by bayernfc
To add another question to this thread: Do you usually like a song by the lyrics or the music? (It's obviously a combination of both, but which do you value more?)
I've been pondering this question all day (not only that question...I did get some other stuff done).

My favorite lyricist writes the lyrics to the music, so the lyrics wouldn't be created without the particular music. The band works up a piece of music, the lyricist takes it home and listens to it anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks, then he writes the lyrics and records the vocals.

So I got thinking...perhaps that is part of the reason I, especially with that band's music (and other projects and solo work with that lyricist), listen first without paying too much attention to the actual words (although I do pay attention to the vocals -- hearing them much as others have noted, as yet another instrument), and then gradually start assimilating the lyrics. I wonder if part of the reason I tend to do this is because the music was initially constructed that way and it just feels better...just feels right. I didn't start listening to the music this way because I thought "oh that's how it was made, so I have to do it that way," because I'd listened to the band well over a decade before I had any clue about hoe they wrote their songs. But I did kind of gravitate toward listening to their music that way, and have more or less adopted that method for all my listening (I have no clue how anyone else writes their songs though).

I know it doesn't matter to anyone else, but it was kind of fun to ponder.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:19 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:39 PM
I like to read the lyrics, I have to admit, I am a bit disappointed if I get a cd that does not come with lyrics. Although, in saying that, I usually just flick through them while listening to the songs and never look at them again.