To eat Carbs or not? How to lose weight.... that is the question. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2002, 10:04 AM   #1
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Local Time: 07:34 AM
To eat Carbs or not? How to lose weight.... that is the question.

OK, first off... I don't want any of those 'accept yourself for who you are' posts. I am not fat, I am not obsessed with my weight, I simply want to get a little leaner and eat right. I have recently gained 5-7 lbs and it bugs me because 50% of my clothes don't fit now!! I have tried to lose it, and yes, I exercise regularly, but in the process I think I have gained weight. I know when you exercise you gain muscle and therefore weight... but that is not the case here. I think I eat WAY too many carbohydrates and believe that to be the real killer.

So.... I just want to ask if any of you are on a diet currently? It doesn't necesarily have to be a weight loss diet, but rather a healthy life style diet. I want to get back on track with cooking and eating right. I got lazy in that dept. over the last few months and am finding it hard to drop some bad habits... like over comsumption of sugars and carbs.

What has worked for you in the past? What should I really stay away from? Help me please I hate that full 'omigod I ate too much' feeling, and as well as 'that's all I get to eat for dinner'? feeling... Help me find middle ground. I have done weight watchers before and it's really good, but the whole concept of counting points, gets you really obsessed with every little thing you eat and I don't think that's too healthy. Plus I don't want to count point my whole life.

Old 06-20-2002, 10:10 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:34 AM

Eat whatever you want! Just not over 1000 calories a day. Walk or exercise any way you choose about 30 minutes per day. You should drop those 7 pounds in 2 weeks or less! Good luck.

Old 06-20-2002, 10:10 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

hmm. I have found that while gaining muscle sometimes increases "weight" on the scale, it definitely makes me fit my clothes better. So I would ask which of the two things are more critical.

As far as diets...meh. I'm not very good at them. I basically try to limit my intake of carbs and to be sure to eat protein with every meal. Keeping a lot of fresh fruit and veggies around is helpful. And low-fat cottage cheese (protein!) is my best friend.

You might look into the Zone eating plan thingy too. It requires some learning upfront, but is pretty sound from what I understand.

Old 06-20-2002, 10:12 AM   #4
Refugee

Do not stop eating carbs!! Your body needs all different kinds of foods to do different things, and that includes protein, dairy, fruits and vegetables, and carbs!! People do lose weight when the go on the no carb diet, but that is because they are tricking their body..... and the minute that they start eating carbs again they gain the weight (plus sometime's more) back, which you don't want!!

You say that you don't like counting the points, but I have lost some weight on the ww system, and I found it to be very easy to use. If you only want to lose 5-7 pounds then that shouldn't take you very long and you will be back to your happy weight in no time. As for counting points the rest of your life.... you don't have to do that. What I learned in Weight Watchers has helped guide me as to what to eat, but that's about it. I don't eat salad dressing now, or drink regular pop, because I know how many points they are worth, and to me it isn't worth it..... small changes like that are what keep your weight down once you get there

Good Luck!!!
Old 06-20-2002, 10:23 AM   #5
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Normal

Well.... I wasn't gonna cut out carbs completely, because I agree that a no carb diet is really unhealthy, but I know that I need to cut back on my carbs, that's for sure.
It seems the point counting thing is the way to go.... *Where's my book? lol WW really does teach you good eating habits and maybe that's what I need to do to get cooking healthy again. I too never drink pop or anything like that. My friends hate coming over because I never have anything to drink other than water! lol I think a pound or two lately is the result of my Nestea binge. Bought a big jar and drank two-three glasses every day last week while it was hot. Bad girl!

Well.... it really comes down to self control too, of course, which I have little of.

And yes sula, exercising does make you fit your clothes better. I have noticed those changes too. I had to stop exercising for a couple months in the spring because I sprained my ankle and it took forever to heal. So now that I have been back to regular exercise for the last two months I have noticed a change. Of course a change for the better, but unfortunately I am one of those people stuck between sizes, so five pounds can really make a difference in my clothing. Particularly my pants and suits for work. Ugh
I'll bet any guys reading this must be laughing his ass off right now!

Ok, veggies... fruits... protein... Btw, I should prolly mention that I can't eat dairy. *Craves cold glass of skim milk. sigh......
Old 06-20-2002, 10:30 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angel

unfortunately I am one of those people stuck between sizes, so five pounds can really make a difference in my clothing. Particularly my pants and suits for work. Ugh
I'm right there with you.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:46 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Moderation, moderation, moderation.

If you have ever been to the Food Rocks exhibit in EPCOT in Disney World, you'll understand why I want to say,"Everything in moderation". lol.

Anyway.. like I said before.. moderation. Eating a piece of chocolate cake is okay as long as you don't do it every day. Eating vegetables every day is good but you need variety -- lots of green and brightly coloured vegetables are best. Fruit of course, needs to be included. A certain amount of salt and fat needs to be in there, but if you eat very many prepared foods you'll get a sufficient amount, and in most cases, too much. Bread, pasta, crackers, etc. is very easy to include in meals.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:48 AM   #8
Refugee

You aren't supposed to eat Chocolate Cake every day????
Old 06-20-2002, 10:51 AM   #9
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Quote:
Originally posted by elevatedmole
Bread, pasta, crackers, etc. is very easy to include in meals.
Pasta = Evil

thx girl!
Old 06-20-2002, 11:05 AM   #10
War Child

Hey! I might just be the expert on this. I've gone on every diet there is, from slim fast, to 800 calories a day to everything else. Nothing has worked, until I read the book "Chose to Lose." My god, I sound like an infomercial. Just hear me out here.

The book bases it's diet on counting fat calories rather than fat grams, and giving you a minimum amount of calories that you MUST eat to keep your body running. It's a great book, and in two weeks I've lost two pounds. THat might not sound like much, but after 4 months of dieting, going to the gym three times a week, and hiking 20 miles each weekend, it's a nice change.

Hope that helped.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:46 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

I like the Weight Watchers Points program because you can eat what you want within reason.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:11 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I've been losing about a pound or two a week for the last month and I must admit that I'm not being particularly fussy about what I eat. I try to be sensible and do all those things I mentioned above (get some protein, don't go overboard on carbs, eat fruits and veggies, etc.) but I think the real key is definitely the cardio workouts and weight-lifting. At least for me it seems to work.

Old 06-20-2002, 12:29 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
but I think the real key is definitely the cardio workouts and weight-lifting. At least for me it seems to work.
Yep--I agree with this. I've never had a weight problem, but I, too, have been trying to knock off those 5 winter pounds and what I have experienced is that at first it was as if the additional muscle were kind of 'pushing the fat out' so there was the temporary feeling that not only was I gaining muscle weight but inches as well. Then after several months, this feeling that I was gaining inches seemed to drop off suddenly and I noticed I was slimmer, more toned, and fitting my clothes better. I follow a vegetarian diet with a lot of fresh veggies, grains, tofu and a green Superfood drink (mostly protein) every morning. But I don't deny myself goodies like ice cream either--just try to keep it in balance.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:25 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:34 AM
I agree with "all things in moderation."

I also recommend yoga. When people practice yoga, they become more aware of their body and what they are putting into it. This combination of exercise, body awareness, and moderation in eating tends to take people to the weight that is right for them. I've heard of many people who were only able to lose weight and keep it off with yoga. I tend to be underweight, but when I do yoga, things seem to fall into place, my weight stabilizes at a comfortable place, and I feel good.

Edit: I also follow a vegetarian diet, like joyfulgirl. I try to get my protein from beans and soy burgers (which I love), but I'm not militant about it. Again, all things in moderation. If someone offers to take you out for banana splits, say thank you and go!
Old 06-20-2002, 04:00 PM   #15
The Fly

I figure I would chime in and put my education to use. I am a personal trainer, but more importantly I just finished my master's in exercise physiology and this topic comes up a lot.

First off the word diet is not a good word. Diet means a temporary fix to a lifelong battle, they don't do any good. Like someone mentioned, you lose weight for a while, then you gain it back. Your body cannot survive on low calories or no carbs. Whoever said no more than a 1000 cals/day is way wrong and doing serious harm to their body.

Now without any anthropometrical (height, weight, body size, activity level, etc...), and not being a dietician, I am not able to recommend a calorie intake to you.

As for losing weight via exercise, I can help. I don't know what you do (weights, cardio, etc..), but if you don't do weights, you should. Plain and simple. It doesn't have to be a lot, but don't trick yourself into believing that if you lift weights, you are going to bulk up. Ladies, you don't have that much free floating testosterone in your body to do that. 2-3 sets, 12-15 reps of major muscle groups. No problem.
Cardio-30 min/day 3x/week. find an activity you like and do it, you don't like running, don't do it. Try doing your cardio in the morn for about 20 min at an interval level on a empty stomach. But don't go too much over 20, your body won't like that.

As for another plan, check out Body For Life by Bill Phillips. He owns one of the supplement companies, but his program works.

hope that helps, if you want any more specifics, email me, we can discuss some things

zootv187@aol.com
Brian