To eat Carbs or not? How to lose weight.... that is the question. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2002, 04:22 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:09 AM

I'm addicted to carbs and it sucks. I tried the Atkins diet before, and I got headaches all the time and palpitations.

Old 06-20-2002, 04:39 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevatedmole
Moderation, moderation, moderation.

As for the WW thing. I really does work. My Grandmother asked me to do it with her so she has like a support person to help keep her motivated and have some one to do it with. She is paying for it so I thought why not. She started in like January and has lost almost 40 pounds. She gets on her tread mill and does like 2 1/2 to 3 miles in the morning and evening. She is hard core about it. Which is cool, BUT some of you who go to the chat know that. She has gone in the chat before for those of you who don't know.

Old 06-20-2002, 04:50 PM   #18
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Quote:
Originally posted by ghetofabu

As for the WW thing. I really does work.
Yes it does! When I was at my heaviest I lost 18 lbs through WW and never gained more than 5 back. LOL the 5 that I am trying to get rid of right now!!!! Damn those 5lbs!! Thx to everyone for all your info and Bri2k, I may email you soon.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:56 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:09 PM

ewww the 4 letter D word. DIET
or the 10 letter one...DISCIPLINE
I'm not good at either, it's such a struggle and it shouldn't be (according to my thin friends with burning hot metabolisms)
I have had all sorts of weird reasons fro using food as some kind of weapon, it's taken me a long time to get a handle on it. I think I have finally. This is no help to you Angel, but I have reached a make or break point and it is encouraging to read what other people have to say. Thanks
Old 06-20-2002, 06:45 PM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 04:09 AM
Oh yeah, just one more thing. I am a fan of supplements for personal use but I wouldn't recommend any to anyone else. But if anyone is contemplating taking one of those fat burning supplements--DON'T. They are dangerous (metabolife, xenadrine, hydroxycut, ripped fuel, etc...). There have been many documented deaths and many more lawsuits, and what is worse is that many of these things are made by convicted fellons. They are street-legal versions of speed and they can hurt you. You can lose weight in a much safer fashion.

Just my two cents
Brian
Old 06-20-2002, 08:54 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Bri2k--> thanks for the advice, I'm going to try to do my cardio in the mornings now and see how I feel.

Anyway, I was raised to finish everything on my plate. (there are starving children in Africa...." As an adult this has stuck with me. I finish my food just to finish. Ug, I always feel like crap afterwards and I know it's not good for me. To try and combat this need to finish I drink a large glass of water before my meals and it really seems to help me with my disipline problem...
Good luck to everyone out there.
PS I became addicided to the caffine in metabolife. It is the devil, even though I was never hungry when I used to take it.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:00 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 11:09 PM
I was about 35 pounds overweight. 6'1 and 235 lbs. Some of it was fat, a little more was muscle. I worked out a lot. I still had a potbelly and couldn't do anything to get rid of it.

Now, five months later I'm 205 lbs, and you know what did it? I got really sick with strep throat! LOL. Okay, that helped me lose about 20 lbs, but those other 10 lbs were due to aeobic exercise and eatting in smaller portions.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2002, 10:30 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

You should accept yourself for who you are, fatso. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I really think you need to lower the carbs in order to effectively lose weight. If you only lower the fat, then the body compensates by converting the carbs into fat, so if you only lower fat and not carbs, you won't get much results. I would recommend visiting this website:

http://www.intense-workout.com/weight_loss.html

It has a lot of good information and is now like the number 1 visited "non-official" website for health and working out. I've followed his advice and have lost 16 pounds in the past 5 weeks, so I have been very happy with the results. But of course you have to stay dedicated, and not really think of it as a temporary thing, but a shift in your lifestyle. Once you do that it becomes routine and you don't even think twice about eating poorly anymore.

So either do that or just puke after you eat. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:32 PM   #24
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

I like the good ol vague 'Don't eat too much of anything'.. But Duece yourself in fruits and colorful vegetables...

Oh yeah.. Run.

The greatest thing about all these diets.. or maybe the people doing them is that they don't realize that they need to make this change for good.. I mean.. just breathe in this thought anytime someone mentions the cabbage soup diet, or let me see.. anything that has to do with Richard Simmons.. (Hahah.. imagine viewing his videos for the rest of your life.. ) I'll stick to my howard stern/R.S. clips if you don't mind..

L.Unplugged
Old 06-21-2002, 12:47 AM   #25
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
You should accept yourself for who you are, fatso. Sorry, couldn't resist.
lol!! Thx!! But hey, I never said I was fat! Just need to lose 5-7lbs. Anyway, I appreciate the link, I will have to check that out.

Oh, and Lemonite, thx for the words of wisdom. Like we all didn't already know that. You must be one of those skinny, 'I can eat anything I want' people.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:18 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I know people here hate numbers, but that is really what this comes down to. You have your normal metabilism which burns x amount of calories each day + any exercise that you do. Find out an amount of food to eat per day in which you DO not lose weight but DO not gain weight either. Might take a couple of weeks to establish what that is. Then lock that in place.

The third week start an exercise program with a certain calorie goal for each workout session. Books will have an average estimate on what level of exercise burns how many calories or go to the gym and punch in your info to a treadmill, stairmaster or bike that counts calories burned. If you have not been working out go for a minimum of 500 calories each exercise session and do it at least 4 times a week.

With your diet locked in from the previous two weeks in which you have learned to simply eat according to your bodies daily metabolism without exercise, in the third week, you''ll burn 2,000 calories from four 500 calorie workouts. Thats a little more than 1/2 a pound of fat and a good start. A pound of fat is 3,500 calories. From here, slowly build your work outs but keep your diet locked in and be sure to drink plenty of water. The diet is enough to provide you with plenty of energy throughout the day. The workout dips into your fat reserves. Increase the length and calorie burn from your workouts as your shape improves. As your shape improves you can then start to workout almost everyday. Continue to allow at least a day of rest once a week though. If your only going after losing 6 pounds of fat, thats 21,000 calories. At 2,000 calories a week burned from exercise, you should hit your goal in around 2 months, provided you keep your calorie intake in check so your not gaining and burn 2,000 calories a week from the 4 workouts. Of course the rate can be increased by increasing the level of exercise, but this can only happen depending on what type of shape your in. Stay steady and DO not go to fast in increasing the length and intensity of workouts. Slow, steady and consistent.

Of course something similar to that is what worked for me. Be sure to consult a trainer and a Doctor if you have not worked out in some time though, because everyone is different as far as size, fitness, and current health! That is VERY important! The general principle though is you need to burn more calories than you take in to lose the unwanted fat. A pound of fat is 3,500 calories. Being patient and consistent is very important.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:31 AM   #27
The Fly

Losing any more than 1-2 per week is not healthy. Your body responds by losing muscle more than it does fat. When you get ill and drop weight, you aren't losing fat, you are losing muscle. Hate to say it, but you are.

Sting you make some good points, you also burn calories when you eat. It takes energy (calories) to break down and digest food, so you burn cals three ways: Resting Energy Expenditure, Exercise, and Eating. The majority comes from REE.

As for losing weight, it is really as simple as taking in less than you expend. Of course that doesnt mean take in 1000 cals and burn 2000 cals and in a week drop 2 lbs. That is just too few calories to consume. You need to work at it.

Remember, you didn't get to look the way you do overnight or in just a few weeks, so it isn't going to change overnight or in a few weeks. You only get out as much as you put in.

Brian
Old 06-21-2002, 08:30 AM   #28
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel

Oh, and Lemonite, thx for the words of wisdom. Like we all didn't already know that. You must be one of those skinny, 'I can eat anything I want' people.
A sage I try to be.. Hahah.a. I just want you to know that I now feel discriminated against and feel bad about myself now.. I'm now embarrassed for being thin.. wait.. (Athletically Built).

Anyways, how many times do people gain their weight back?.. apparently people don't know, either that or they lack discipline... That might be it..

L.Unplugged
Old 06-21-2002, 11:25 AM   #29
New Yorker

*is supposed to be at the gym right now*
Old 06-21-2002, 11:27 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Ali Rose
*is supposed to be at the gym right now*
lol. Go girl! Wanna come down to my gym this afternoon for a workout date?