To burn or to buy, the age old question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
used cds....hmmm...no they don't make me feel guilty, but then again i've never thought about it like that.

Well, the artist doesn't get any $ when you buy a used CD, only the shop owner does. If you really wanted to support the artist you'd go buy the new shrinkwrapped one. When I see an album for $7.99 in a used shop, and $17.99 in another store, I'm gonna use common sense and save $10.

most of the stuff i buy used, i buy new because i can't find it used...but also the other way around. so i'm really not sure. but i like used record shops.

I get most of my CDs by stealing them at parties. You know how you can find the case for your new Tool cd, but not the CD? That's cause I took it.

I have 300-ish CDs and to be honest, I'm proud to say that only 4 of them are burnt.
I love getting new CDs and not only having the songs but having the whole package. Bands and people put a lot of effort into the whole presentation of the product so obviously it means something to them and is an important companion to the music.
However, I do download music, but the music I download is only either songs I can't buy (or songs I'd have to buy a different edition of the same album for) or songs from albums which I intend to get. I also download songs by bands I've never heard of just to check them out. If I like what I hear I'll go out and buy the music.
The thing is, singles in the UK can cost ?5 sometimes and I'm not prepared to pay that for one song. Until B-sides either get more interesting (no more crappy remixes please!) or there's some other marketing ploy about singles, I'm not likely to buy them. I will buy albums, but if there is maybe one song by an artist that I do like and I hate the rest, I am extremely unlikely to go out and spend a stupid amount of money for one song.
As for used CDs, I don't have a problem with that either. There's a BIG used record store near me that usually has all the cds I want for under half of what they're sold for in places like HMV and Virgin Megastore. It seems like common sense to buy the cheaper version. When you buy a new CD you're basically paying for a lifetime's use of it, if you wanna end that early then there's no reason why someone else shouldn't take up where you leave off...if you know what I mean.
The thing is, music is SO incredibly overpriced. I'd be quite happy to go and buy a new version of a CD if it was priced fairly but until then I'd much prefer to buy a used version. Used CDs give the quality and packaging that burned CDs just don't have.

Sooo, in short; used CDs - :up:
downloading music - is alright when the songs are not available to buy, when the intent is to buy the album, or to check out new music.
and the whole experience of getting a new CD - :up:

Most of the cds I own I bought used. (Thank you ebay!) I don't have a problem with that because the cd was legitimately purchased by someone at some point. Once you buy the cd, it becomes your property and you can resell it if you want. Much of my vinyl was bought used as well.

all the vinyl i've bought has been used because i don't think i've ever seen a new vinyl record that i wanted to buy...well, except one...but i already had it on cd and couldn't bring myself to spending another 17 bucks...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
unless it's a u2 or a pearl jam or the likes, i download and burn first... never the full album though. usually just the first single. if a second single comes out that i like, and there's lots of talk about the album, then i'll go out and buy it. but i've been screwed over by too many crappy albums just because of one good song to just run out and buy right away... so i'm a little bit of both i guess :shrug:

u2 and pearl jam albums i usually buy the day they come out, without waiting.. that being said, i've usually got half the u2 album on my computer already by the time it comes out thanks to the nuts here on interference and other web pages... but i buy anyway
that's my boy...:lmao: PJ and U2 :drool: :hyper:
I tend to go out and buy albums basically the day they come out.
I'm a downloading moron...and I haven't really since Audiogalaxy went down. I've tried Kazaa but my bro got a HUGE virus from using Kazaa and lost everything. :tsk: So really I don't bother.
I buy all my music pretty much. I like to have the actual thang in my hands. I know what you're saying about buying an album where there's a couple of songs you like and the rest is fookin crap. :yell: But luckily that doesn't happen anymore....I'm really choosey about what I buy now.

when i download an album on the internet and then go around saying how great the band is, i'm doing more for the band than if someone buys an album used and has it sit on their shelf. i'm not trying to prove anything there, i just think it's interesting.

I think it all comes down to what you think is hugely important.. I don't have as many hang-ups with downloading music because I think that 'legal' doesn't equal 'right' and 'illegal' doesn't equal 'wrong'. i'm crrrazy! See the thing is, I honestly can't afford CDs, I can't really afford much of anything. So I think the artists would rather have someone enjoying their music, being moved by it, and trying to convert their friends, than not hear them at all. Also, without internet file sharing, I'd only listen to bands on the radio and maybe a few local bands. that's pretty much a sure thing, and that's the biggest problem internet filesharing gives rise to as far as the major record labels are concerned.

I live in a small town that recently lost our main CD store, so I've had to revert to buying from a tiny used-CD shop. I do burn CDs if I can't find the actual CD anyplace (an example is that I, having just recently really gotten into U2, couldn't find R & H or Zooropa anyplace, so I borrowed them from my brother and burned them). However, that's rarely, and I also burn CDs for friends and relatives. I make it a practise to not download whole albums-if I'm not very interested in the artist but there's one song I like I'll download it... or if I'm wondering if I'm going to buy the CD or not.

But I do buy new CDs when I can. I love the feeling of opening the package and leafing through the booklet... the smell of the new ink... and well, you understand.

Back
Top Bottom