Tittybong, VIC, Australia superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
You've simply got to visit the South Island sometime in your life. I'm from the North Island and it's great, but the South Island is something else again. The Southern Alps and Fjordland are just astonishing.

I've always had a fascination for that part of the world. When I was young, I was into making lists, and I'd write down the largest cities in the world, largest countries in the world, etc., and I remember always thinking how Australia looked like such a cool place to be, and as I got older and learned more about the geography down there, especially New Zealand, well, it just made me want to visit that much more.

Sigh. Someday.

Zootlesque said:

Maybe I got my genres confused. :der: Doesn't matter... cos I don't listen to either genre anyway! :lol:

Well, death metal bands do dress in black most of the time, but the whole "my friend says he wants to die" thing sounds so emo. I have a hard time thinking of any death metal bands that have a similar attitude. It's generally more "everything is meaningless, the earth is a cold, dead place, God is dead".

Zootlesque said:
Yo Phanan.. where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

bgm14551.gif

phanan said:
I've always had a fascination for that part of the world. When I was young, I was into making lists, and I'd write down the largest cities in the world, largest countries in the world, etc., and I remember always thinking how Australia looked like such a cool place to be, and as I got older and learned more about the geography down there, especially New Zealand, well, it just made me want to visit that much more.

Sigh. Someday.

Heh, my equivalent of that was redrawing country borders so that they were more "sensible" according to whatever peculiar logic I was using at the time. I still feel this childlike excitement when a country becomes newly independent because it's something to add to a map.

Nowadays, I look at New Zealand on Google Maps and wish I could go back and do a decent trip around the place. All of my trips back home in the last few years have been these brief, flying visits and I'm dying to see some of the countryside and spend a while just traveling around for the joy of it.

Zootlesque said:
Yo Phanan.. where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

He's in one of the few US states that U2 doesn't play. :wink:

Well, after my sudden disappearance, I'm back... I should probably explain what just happened.

I was sitting on here, just doing my thing, and suddenly heard someone moving around outside. I thought it was some punk kids coming to trash the house or whatever, so essentially ran outside, almost grabbing a weapon but deciding not to.

I open the door, and see these guys trying to hide behind one of the cars parked in the driveway, then notice that I know all of them - they were gonna try to throw me a suprise party, BUSTED!

So then the surprise ended up being that I answered the door and basically everyone went "what the hell?" when I did it.

And to think that I'd wondered if everyone had just forgotten about me! Wow. It was awesome. Just, wow. What makes it even better was the fact that I'm not one who goes for extravagant celebrations or overt things, but I do enjoy subtle and clever things - like this, which I had not seen coming at all.

So, that's my awesome news story for probably the year!

phanan said:

:lol:

Luckily our states are so freakin' small that it doesn't matter. One hour north of Boston despite being in a different state.

Hah, nice. Our states are so bloody huge that it takes well over a day to drive the length of Queensland. Cairns is 1,700km north of Brisbane and still in the same state! If you drove that distance in Europe, I imagine you'd pass through about seven different countries! :laugh:

phanan said:

Newburyport is a beautiful town, much like Portsmouth.

It is, definitely. It's far too quiet for me to want to live there, but I can imagine it must be a great town to grow up in. The ideal, really, as far as the US is concerned.

major_panic said:
Well, after my sudden disappearance, I'm back... I should probably explain what just happened.

I was sitting on here, just doing my thing, and suddenly heard someone moving around outside. I thought it was some punk kids coming to trash the house or whatever, so essentially ran outside, almost grabbing a weapon but deciding not to.

I open the door, and see these guys trying to hide behind one of the cars parked in the driveway, then notice that I know all of them - they were gonna try to throw me a suprise party, BUSTED!

So then the surprise ended up being that I answered the door and basically everyone went "what the hell?" when I did it.

And to think that I'd wondered if everyone had just forgotten about me! Wow. It was awesome. Just, wow. What makes it even better was the fact that I'm not one who goes for extravagant celebrations or overt things, but I do enjoy subtle and clever things - like this, which I had not seen coming at all.

So, that's my awesome news story for probably the year!

:lmao: That's awesome! :up:

... I wasn't invited? :sad:

Oh fuuuck. It's past 2am and I need to be up at 9am. This doesn't bode well.

Damn you, Interference and cricket, for being entertaining!

Axver said:

:lmao: That's awesome! :up:

... I wasn't invited? :sad:

Well, I didn't know about it until 30 mins before it was meant to start, otherwise hell yes!

I'm gonna go to bed now before I collapse with tiredness and happiness. :wave:

major_panic said:

Well, I didn't know about it until 30 mins before it was meant to start, otherwise hell yes!

I'm gonna go to bed now before I collapse with tiredness and happiness. :wave:

Excuses, excuses. :tsk: :wink:

Glad you had such an awesome time. Have a good night! :wave:

Axver said:

Hah, nice. Our states are so bloody huge that it takes well over a day to drive the length of Queensland. Cairns is 1,700km north of Brisbane and still in the same state! If you drove that distance in Europe, I imagine you'd pass through about seven different countries! :laugh:

It's interesting comparing Australia to America. Both countries are about the same size, yet one has, what, six states and two territories, while the other has 48 continental ones.

I'm hungry. Time to go get some lunch.

phanan said:
It's interesting comparing Australia to America. Both countries are about the same size, yet one has, what, six states and two territories, while the other has 48 continental ones.

I suppose the population disparity has something to do with it. :wink:

I once saw a map that divided Australia into something like sixteen states of geographically equal size. It was pretty interesting - and completely impractical. You can see some of the early planners here had little idea of the conditions and terrain they were dealing with.

Who doesn't want to visit a town called Tittybong? Come on.

OK, I'm going to collapse into bed and get six hours' sleep. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom