Tittybong, VIC, Australia superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:
Fremantle's population is only 26,000. Hell, the town I work in is bigger than that.

In all fairness, it blurs with Perth as a satellite city. Hence my wink in the last post.

phanan said:
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it looks like it's basically a suburb of Perth.

I wonder why PT didn't stop in Adelaide on their tour?

Just looked up things, and Mandurah, which I thought was just a southern suburb of Perth and mainly know for a new railway line built there, is actually WA's second largest city. It has 67,000 people.

I'm surprised PT didn't hit Adelaide too. At both the Melbourne and Sydney shows, SW made remarks along the lines of "a couple of months ago, we didn't know if anybody here even wanted to hear our music". So I think this tour was really just testing the waters. Next time around, I think they'll hit Perth and Adelaide. Hell, Dream Theater hit Perth and Adelaide earlier this year on their first Aussie tour!

Axver said:
I'm surprised PT didn't hit Adelaide too. At both the Melbourne and Sydney shows, SW made remarks along the lines of "a couple of months ago, we didn't know if anybody here even wanted to hear our music". So I think this tour was really just testing the waters. Next time around, I think they'll hit Perth and Adelaide. Hell, Dream Theater hit Perth and Adelaide earlier this year on their first Aussie tour!

Dream Theater made it over to Perth? Wow, good for them.

You'd think a certain popular Irish band could have made it there on their last tour, too.

phanan said:

Dream Theater made it over to Perth? Wow, good for them.

You'd think a certain popular Irish band could have made it there on their last tour, too.

Perth was Dream Theater's very first Australian show. And it was a cock-up! The date got changed (to Australia Day when everyone's going to see free fireworks rather than paying $100+ for an obscure band, wooops) and the venue got changed TWICE. So one fan took footage of Hitler from some movie and subtitled it to be Hitler ranting about how much of a fuck up everything was; Mike Portnoy saw it and got it played as the intro to the concert!

Aaaand then some rather crucial technology (I forget what) failed near the end of the main set and the band had to abandon the concert! Poor Perth. Even when bands do get there, they get fucked.

As for U2, they seem to almost have a pattern going. UF and Lovetown hit both Perth and Adelaide, but since then, ZooTV did Adelaide but not Perth, Popmart did Perth but not Adelaide, and Vertigo did Adelaide but not Perth!

phanan said:

:up:

I'm loving how we are turning quite a few people here onto this great band.

Deadwing was enough for me to go nuts and start my quest to get all their albums... scratch that, Arriving Somewhere was enough!

Zootlesque said:

Deadwing was enough for me to go nuts and start my quest to get all their albums... scratch that, Arriving Somewhere was enough!

I was listening to the live version of Arriving Somewhere from, uh, the Arriving Somewhere DVD earlier. Now there's a song I would've loved to have heard at the three recent shows. :drool:

Axver said:
As for U2, they seem to almost have a pattern going. UF and Lovetown hit both Perth and Adelaide, but since then, ZooTV did Adelaide but not Perth, Popmart did Perth but not Adelaide, and Vertigo did Adelaide but not Perth!

I can see Adelaide being done without Perth (obviously), but the other way around? It makes no sense playing Perth without Adelaide, as that's the closest city!

If I can say something somewhat negative here for a second :uhoh: I didn't think some of the lyrics to Fear Of A Blank Planet (the song) were that great.

Zootlesque said:
If I can say something somewhat negative here for a second :uhoh: I didn't think some of the lyrics to Fear Of A Blank Planet (the song) were that great.

Actually, I agree with you on this. I never thought the lyrics to the title track were very strong, and I didn't like name-dropping things like X-box, which will make it outdated very quickly.

Thankfully, the rest of the album gets much, much better lyrically after that.

phanan said:

I can see Adelaide being done without Perth (obviously), but the other way around? It makes no sense playing Perth without Adelaide, as that's the closest city!

Popmart's an interesting case as they planned to do more than they did. The original plan included concerts in New Zealand and Singapore. I wonder if Adelaide had once been in the plans but got discarded? The Aussie attendance figures on Popmart were abysmal. Brisbane's a glaring example as they played the same venue on Vertigo. On Popmart, they played to 17,500 people (the third lowest attendance figure; a Florida show did worse, and Perth was an indoor show at the Burswood Dome that was a 13,000 or so sellout). On Vertigo, they sold out 50,000 tickets in about 1.5-2 hours.

phanan said:

Actually, I agree with you on this. I never thought the lyrics to the title track were very strong, and I didn't like name-dropping things like X-box, which will make it outdated very quickly.

Beat me to it. I've always disliked the X-box line.

Then again, I think one lyrical purpose is to sketch and observe life as it is at the start of the 21st century, so in that sense it may actually stand the test of time.

I've always thought The Sound Of Muzak's lyrics were too condescending. Still a good song though.

Axver said:

Popmart's an interesting case as they planned to do more than they did. The original plan included concerts in New Zealand and Singapore. I wonder if Adelaide had once been in the plans but got discarded? The Aussie attendance figures on Popmart were abysmal. Brisbane's a glaring example as they played the same venue on Vertigo. On Popmart, they played to 17,500 people (the third lowest attendance figure; a Florida show did worse, and Perth was an indoor show at the Burswood Dome that was a 13,000 or so sellout). On Vertigo, they sold out 50,000 tickets in about 1.5-2 hours.

Hmmm...perhaps Adelaide was in the original plans, but then they nixed it due to the inconsistency of how the tour was doing elsewhere.

I need to make more money so I can visit Australia and New Zealand at some point in my lifetime.

Or even the...

My friend says he wants to die
He's in a band
They sound like Pearl Jam
The clothes are all black
The music is crap

:lol: I guess he's just talking about some death metal band but where did Pearl Jam come from?

LemonMelon said:
I've always thought The Sound Of Muzak's lyrics were too condescending. Still a good song though.

That's the song that got me into the band, actually. The lyrics appeal to me a lot. Are you shocked? :wink:

Zootlesque said:
Or even the...

He's in a band
The music is crap

:lol: I guess he's just talking about some death metal band but where did Pearl Jam come from?

I always interpreted it as being in a Pearl Jam-wannabe band and really sucking at it, like Creed.

Zootlesque said:
Or even the...

He's in a band
The music is crap

Why do you assume death metal? SW's a fan of it and has produced a number of death metal albums.

And that's my favourite verse in the entire song for the simple reason that it cracks me up. :laugh:

Zootlesque said:
Or even the...

He's in a band
The music is crap

Yeah, you're right...that line doesn't make much sense. No PJ soundalike would be in all black; they're not emo after all! Good thing I don't really care about lyrics unless they're as bad as X&Y or something. :lol:

phanan said:

Hmmm...perhaps Adelaide was in the original plans, but then they nixed it due to the inconsistency of how the tour was doing elsewhere.

I need to make more money so I can visit Australia and New Zealand at some point in my lifetime.

Popmart's performance is so baffling. You look at the North American and Australian attendance and think "what the hell happened to U2?!", and then you look at their European and South American attendance and think they'd never been more popular! I can't think of any other U2 tour with such geographically inconsistent attendance.

You've simply got to visit the South Island sometime in your life. I'm from the North Island and it's great, but the South Island is something else again. The Southern Alps and Fjordland are just astonishing.

Zootlesque said:

Well... the clothes are all black? I guess... lol

AND the friend that wants to die.

Makes me think of an emo band, not death metal. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom