Tipping; It's not in China... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2004, 05:49 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:59 PM
Tipping; It's not in China...

I often purchase lunch in the cafe located in the building where I work. The man behind the counter pulls a (not so cheap) sandwich out of a refrigerator and the transaction takes all of 1 minute. When I sign my receipt, there is a space for a tip. When I don't put anything on the space, I get funny looks and a muffled thanks. There's also a tip jar located next to the register. I am familar with the vendor and I know for a fact that this man did not make my sandwich and he earns a good wage (more than me). Should he really expect to be tipped? Has the tipping thing gone a tad too far, or am I just cheap?

Old 10-02-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 11:59 AM
I used to work in F & B at various times in my life and I don't think that you are required to tip in that type of quick carry out fast food situation. If you want to throw some change in the cup once in a while that's one thing. But if you are taking the food out, and the employee is not cleaning up after you or getting taxed for tip money, you are not required to tip.

Old 10-03-2004, 12:33 AM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:59 PM
"I don't tip." --Mr. Pink

I actually gave that speech at Bennigans tonight and my fellow diners didn't appreciate it.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:43 AM   #4
Refugee

You tip for better service. What's this guy going to do--ignore you when you approach his counter and ask for a sandwich? I doubt it. He probably values your business. Also, the tip line on the credit card receipt may be part of the print-out program.

Tip him a few bucks every now and then, but don't feel it's neccesary considering the effort he puts forth.

I'm a bartender and love getting tips, but don't expect them when I do something that takes two seconds to perform. Now, if I have to deliver a drink to a table or wait on someone for more than 15 minutes, I expect something; not a lot, but something.

What I've learned: most people don't tip well. Those who consistently tip between 15% or higher are remembered in the future and probably get prompter service. If you don't tip, and you're not pleasant to talk to, or just nice in general, you'll get minimal preferences and deservedly so.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:32 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I give the guy some change when I have it. I guess I just don't understand the snarky attitude when I don't...
Old 10-03-2004, 09:09 AM   #6
Creator of the Blue Crack

I've got VERY strong feelings about tipping....

Fast food, carry out = no.

Eat-in/Bar service/Bell hop/valet = if service SUCKS, why reward sucky service? Tipping is form of appreciation for good service. However if service is generally OK... I'll leave 15%, pre-tax. If service is EXCELLENT and above the call of duty - which seems to be rare these days as everyone EXPECTS big tips - I have been known to leave as much as 40-50%.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:48 AM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 03:59 PM
I admit my tipping for service sucks. I never know if I am tipping enough, too much, too little or if I should or should not be tipping at all.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:13 PM   #8
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:59 PM
I usually tip 15-20% and more if the service is above-and-beyond. I still feel uncomfortable about not tipping bad service, so if its a fairly decent meal and the service sucked, I leave a buck.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:16 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Tip 10% if you were happy with the meal and service. That's what I always heard.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:22 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 PM
We don't tip here although some customers leave gifts to workers in restuarants/ shops. (We get boxes of chocolates from our customers sometimes). Some folk tip bar staff but it's not very common.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:39 AM   #11
War Child

I almost always leave a tip, except when service is really bad. I don't feel bad about not leaving a tip when I haven't received even the minimum of service.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:41 AM   #12
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:59 PM
I've been guilt-tripped into tipping my new hairdresser these days.

I don't want to tip, but I'm going to look stingy if I stop now.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:52 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I hate tip jars.

I tend to tip larger percentages (20%-50%) in lower-cost eating establishments. As I see it, the same amount of work is required as a fancy restaurant.

And it is rare that I eat in fancy restaurants.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:31 AM   #14
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

I usually tip well, and if the service was so bad that I don't want to leave a tip, it was probably also so bad that I won't be returning to that restaurant/bar again.

The tip jars being everywhere now are really annoying though, especially when there's no way I can think of that the service could be any better/worse. For example there's a "tip cup" at the gas station by my house sometimes. What are they going to do, not ring me up for my gas if I don't tip?

neutral @ interference.com
Old 10-04-2004, 06:08 PM   #15
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:59 PM
i look at it this way: i tip if the service i receive is given to me before i pay. for the most part, this includes the stuff you'd tip for: hair, food from sit-down places, etc. do you pay for mcdonalds before or after you've eaten? before, right? so i don't tip there. there may be an exception or two, but i more or less stick to this. i'm a good tipper imo, 20% down the line. the hubby is a waiter so i can totally relate to what it's like having to grovel to pay your bills.