$ting voted worst lyricist!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Blender, but about 75% of the magazine is written with tongue firmly in cheek.

Anyone who is giving this list anything more than a glance and a chuckle, maybe an eye-roll, is wasting their time.

"Pete Gabriel"

Read the lyrics to "In Your Eyes," Blender, please.

I know it's a list from a magazine, but still. Ignorance of this level shouldn't be thrown to the side.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Well somebody told me
You had a boyfriend
Who looked like a girlfriend
That I had in February of last year
It's not confidential
I've got potential

I think those lyrics are just funny (in a good way) more than anything else, myself *Shrugs* :).

There's a few people here I won't argue with, but Peter Gabriel being listed definitely made me do a double take. Wha...? And Paul McCartney? Sure, he's had his clunkers, but he's also written some classics as well. And I've never thought Sting was bad-I'd rather read his lyrics than Scott Stapp's or Kevin Federline's, I'll certainly say that much (although the latter two would certainly make for a good pick-me-up if one had a bad day...).

Strange list.

Angela

I can understand Jim Morrison and maybe even Sting being on there (although why he would be No. 1 is beyond me), but what lyrical crimes did Peter Gabriel ever commit?

Also, shouldn't John Mayer be a shoe-in considering he wrote the lyrics to both "Your Body Is a Wonderland" and "Daughters"?

I don't think it was Peter Gabriel being targeted specifically so much as Gabriel-era Genesis, which is another easy target, despite the quality of some of the material.

McCartney--come on. I could list you so many bad examples you'd be gagging on them.

lazarus said:
I don't think it was Peter Gabriel being targeted specifically so much as Gabriel-era Genesis, which is another easy target, despite the quality of some of the material.

McCartney--come on. I could list you so many bad examples you'd be gagging on them.

Eleanor Rigby though...

Some people should get free passes based upon previous work.

Like, ignoring Wings for example.

I felt really bad when I saw this thread ... until I saw the list was from Blender Magazine.

Now, I feel more bad for them !! :tsk:

Sting a bad lyricist ?? Absolutely ridiculous. :yes:

Blender considers Fred Durst a better lyricist than Jim Morrison and Robert Plant...

:crack:

And WTF is Common doing on this list?

This list has GOT to be a poor attempt at a joke. There's no way anybody seriously thinks this.

OK, writing an occasional band song doesn't make someone one of the worst lyricists (or citing someone for one clunker, that's just idiotic) Paul McCartney???! Hello, were you there in the 20th Century? He's penned some of the best songs of all time, and continues to put out good music.

If you want a list of the worst songwriters, find any of the people who write the songs for popstars in the past 30 years, or 90% of popular radio crap.

I would have thought Reuters would be above reporting something this insipid, must have been a slow music news day. And that there's an editor that thinks something like this makes for good music journalism is just sad.

This list would have had some cred, had they not put Sting in the top spot. That's just stupid!!!

and Simon le Bon at #26?? Come on, the guy wrote: "my head is full of chopstick I don't like it". That deserves a spot in the top 10 right there.

Back
Top Bottom