Time travel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaz02

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Was watching back to the future yesterday ( best trilogy of all time ) and the possibility of time travel got my thinking.

What if someone from the future went back in time and told Hitlers Great grandparent. Because of the lives saved from no WW2 maybe the inventors of the flying car and the doctors who discovered the cure for cancer wouldnt of died. All those relatives who died from car accidents or from cancer would of survived which might have even threatened your very existence.

Im totally fascinated by the idea of time travel or Time slips. Time slips are pretty much when the parrel universe clashes with ours, which can cause buildings to suddenly appear then disappear in the space of a few hours or even a few seconds.

Could this even explain ghosts and other supernatural experiences ?

Possibilities are endless.

I like this topic; my question would be, "IF time travel WAS possible, and we had ONE chance to change one thing, just ONE, whether it be a personal or historic event, what would that one thing be????"

Even I am gonna have to give that some thought...

It would be impossible, changing one thing would change a series of other variable factors.

If you did manage to change one thing without it effecting anything else i be quite suprised.

If your body was also positioned back in time it would duplicate that matter as it was existing in something else at other points in time.

And the Earth is not fixed in space - travel through time at this point in space would leave you in space not on Earth.

Paradoxes could be avoided if time travel was matched by traveling an equivalent distance in space (e.g. 1 light year for every year). But I suspect that it creates problems with information. And if the Earth was moving towards you then it could recieve a message and violate causality.

There is a particularly odd possibility for backwards time travel in theoretical physics, where Point A and Point B are created in "the present," but Point B is manipulated through time dilation to go to some point in the future. Point B, at some point, is slowed down to "normal speed," thus aging at a normal rate, but in the future. As such, it is possible for, say, if both points were created in 2008 and Point B existing in 3008. Thus, 2008 and 3008 could pass information between each other.

In terms of creating time paradoxes, it is impossible, for such events would already be figured into history, even if the people in 3008 think that they'd be able to alter history. In the end, any "alterations" they'd perform would already have been noted in the historical record.

My apologies if this is too serious for this thread, but I'm just as fascinated by this kind of stuff too. ;)

melon said:
There is a particularly odd possibility for backwards time travel in theoretical physics, where Point A and Point B are created in "the present," but Point B is manipulated through time dilation to go to some point in the future. Point B, at some point, is slowed down to "normal speed," thus aging at a normal rate, but in the future. As such, it is possible for, say, if both points were created in 2008 and Point B existing in 3008. Thus, 2008 and 3008 could pass information between each other.
It sounds like the resolvable twin "paradox"; what do you mean by transmit information? I am not seeing how you could send information from the future backwards in time.
In terms of creating time paradoxes, it is impossible, for such events would already be figured into history, even if the people in 3008 think that they'd be able to alter history. In the end, any "alterations" they'd perform would already have been noted in the historical record.
What supports this assertion, if time travel is possible it usually causes problems for causality. These paradoxes are conditional upon there being only 1 timeline in a single 4D universe.

My apologies if this is too serious for this thread, but I'm just as fascinated by this kind of stuff too. ;)

mandy1973 said:
whoa....I can't cope with this at 3am:|

Don't worry Mandy, if we get the flux capacitor working again we'll zip over there in the DeLorean and take you back to.......well..........pick a time, any time :wink:

hardyharhar said:

Don't worry Mandy, if we get the flux capacitor working again we'll zip over there in the DeLorean and take you back to.......well..........pick a time, any time :wink:

We need something with a little more kick... Plutonium!

I love reading about time travel theory, always been an interest of mine.

:hmm:

edgebacktothefuturelemongrrrlfixme.jpg

melon said:

:cute: AW! you think Human kind will last till 3008 :cute: hope so :huh:

Mr. BAW said:
I like this topic; my question would be, "IF time travel WAS possible, and we had ONE chance to change one thing, just ONE, whether it be a personal or historic event, what would that one thing be????"

I'd go back in time to Texas, and give a young George Bush some advice: "You know, kid, wilderness adventures in rough weather, where there's little chance of survival, can be just as fun as looking for oil!"

If the time travel was open-ended, I'd go back to see as many great concerts as possible. :drool:

Caroni said:
:cute: AW! you think Human kind will last till 3008 :cute: hope so :huh:

Sure we will. If we can survive this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

According to the Toba catastrophe theory, 70,000 to 75,000 years ago a supervolcanic event at Lake Toba, on Sumatra, reduced the world's human population to 10,000 or even a mere 1,000 breeding pairs, creating a bottleneck in human evolution.

According to this theory, humans once again fanned out from Africa after Toba when the climate and other factors permitted. They migrated first to Arabia and India and onwards to Indochina and Australia (Ambrose, 1998, p. 631), and later to the Middle East and what would become the Fertile Crescent following the end of the Würm glaciation period (70,000–10,000 years bp).

...we'll certainly make it a thousand years in the future. There's nothing saying, though, that modern civilization will be intact or that there won't be widespread suffering. A look at the last thousand years certainly reveals that most people's lives were hardly a walk in the park.

A_Wanderer said:
It sounds like the resolvable twin "paradox"; what do you mean by transmit information?

I did say that this was in the realm of theoretical physics, of course. Theoretical physics also posits the existence of wormholes, and we certainly don't have proof of that existence either.

Presuming that we did have a way of creating two portals, and shoving one of those into time dilation, then it is theoretically possible to engage in this kind of time travel.

This theory also argues that it is impossible to evoke the "grandfather paradox," because, for one, it is impossible to travel to a time differently than that of, in this example, 2008 and 3008. However, it argues that, even if someone in 3008 tried to alter something in 2008, it would be impossible. That's because the historical record would reflect such an event as having occurred that way from the start. That is, people in 2508 will have lived the consequences of what happened in 2008, well before 3008 ever knew what hit them.

Confusing? Probably so.

If you changed your sex and then went back in time and had sex with yourself, that baby would have the same mother and father! :happy:

Anyway, the subject of time travel is indeed very interesting. But as fascinating as it is, if it were at all possible I'm not sure I would want to try it for fear of altering circumstances disastrously! :yikes:

^ So true, even if you went back hundreds of years you might have a convo with an ancester and have some sort of influence on his future decisions which might result in the removal of your very existance.

Obviously, if you went back in time to change anything specific, and you somehow manage to succeed, you'd be left without a reason to go back in time in the first place. :tsk:

Well maybe you already went back and didn't realize. Maybe this is the 12th go-round for you, and you still haven't gotten it right.

In other words, it's impossible kids. Gotta love sci-fi for planting silly ideas in our heads tho! :lol:

this reminds me of dragonball z. anyone remember when trunks went back into time to kill cell? only, it didn't change his "present" time. and then the cell from a different reality we didn't even get to see was the cell that terrorized "our" present reality. so, like there were different dimensions. changing something in the reality that was in "the past" didn't affect the present. however, going there only affected that reality.

damn trunks was hot for a cartoon.

I don't know anything about dragonball z because I'm not a complete geek. However, in Star Trek Voyager :)wink:), there was this episode where Voyager responded to a distress call of a vessel that got caught in some sort of temporal anomaly. When they entered the anomaly, they got stuck themselves. And when they sent out a distress call, they found out that it was their own distress call they responded to in the first place!

Luckily they got out. Thank god for the deflector shield, am i rite guys!? :hi5:

guys?

bonocomet said:

omgaawwddd :lmao: :lmao: hahahahaaaa
:bow: comet! (I figured some one would come up with a photoshop Our Genius The Edge!)

I :love: time travel SF & stuff.:hyper:

Any one ever see the ep.... ST/? Voyager? :hmm: or Next Gen? the ship that was outside the space/time continuum, where this guy kept changing the timelines.

What was so cool about it in a tech/visual way- was as he exploring vector points (where events would be changed), there was a big screen where the puter showed what major changes were more likely to happen.

One of the time travel theories I've reccently heard of in past year or so by ? 2 different Theoretical Physicists (one might be one of the top TP's- Michio Kaku) was that (maybe some one posted it here already, but I'm tired and my eyes/brain could have missed it as I skimmed)>>>

If there is such a thing as the Multi-verse, when a person goes back to change something (using previous example) killing Hitler before he started thinking up/planning to create The Third Reich -
this Change-Event will split off a whole Other Earth/Universe where he does die "prematurely" (to us).

What I can't remember :huh: ( I was listening late at night...ZZzzzzz) but I think the Time Traveler will be "stuck" in the New Earth/Universe she/she created. I can't remember if they can travel now forward in time again. It can get really complicated. :lol:

dazzledbylight said:

omgaawwddd :lmao: :lmao: hahahahaaaa
:bow: comet! (I figured some one would come up with a photoshop Our Genius The Edge!)

I :love: time travel SF & stuff.:hyper:
And the sub-genre Alternate History.

Any one ever see the ep.... ST/? Voyager? :hmm: or Next Gen? the ship that was outside the space/time continuum, where this guy kept changing the timelines.

What was so cool about it in a tech/visual way- was as he exploring vector points (where events would be changed), there was a big screen where the puter showed what major changes were more likely to happen.

One of the time travel theories I've reccently heard of in past year or so by ? 2 different Theoretical Physicists (one might be one of the top TP's- Michio Kaku) was that (maybe some one posted it here already, but I'm tired and my eyes/brain could have missed it as I skimmed)>>>

If there is such a thing as the Multi-verse, when a person goes back to change something (using previous example) killing Hitler before he started thinking up/planning to create The Third Reich -
this Change-Event will split off a whole Other Earth/Universe where he does die "prematurely" (to us).

What I can't remember :huh: ( I was listening late at night...ZZzzzzz) but I think the Time Traveler will be "stuck" in the New Earth/Universe she/she created. I can't remember if they can travel now forward in time again. It can get really complicated. :lol:

:wink: That Edge PS was made by Lemongrrrrl a long time ago... cant exactly remember why I asked her to do it actually anymore... :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom