TIME is adjudged the Best Pink Floyd Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Well, according to a bunch of interferers anyway.

The fabric of Time left the other competitiors feeling a bit Comfortably Numb.

Votes
Comfortably Numb - 18
Time - 15

BEST PINK FLOYD SONG
15. Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict
=14. Cymbaline
=14. Lucifer Sam
12. Free Four
11. The Final Cut
10. Sorrow
=9. Summer '68
=9. Careful With That Axe, Eugene
7. High Hopes
6. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
5. Echoes
4. Wish You Were Here
3. Dogs
2. Comfortably Numb
1. TIME

It has been a pleasure to run, a great deal of thanks go to Dave, who picked up the slack when my computer shitted itself numerous times.

This was a good result, Time is a legendary song and it's a testament to Pink Floyd that this result was never going to be predictable, a biiit unlike A Day in the Life...

Thanks to all those Pink Floyd fans who competed, it's you folk who have got me into this amazing band and it will be a life-long fascination one would think.

Apologies to Shine On You Crazy Diamond from a few of us here as well...

Thanks all!!

While by no means the biggest pink floyd fan ever (not that I don't like them, I do) I'm slightly disappointed...:shrug: not that it's not a good song, but, it's not my favorite

What is mate?

Can I just alert to everyone that ANY Colour You Like has cracked my Floyd top ten... and I think Shine On might be number one now.

1. Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts I - V)
2. Time
3. Comfortably Numb
4. Dogs
5. Wish You Were Here
6. Us and Them
7. Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI - IX)
8. Any Colour You Like
9. Eclipse
10. Sheep

Something like that.

I just went back and looked at the WYWH final, and what a joke of a round that was. Shine On should have won. The amount of votes proves that a lot of casual fans figured into that one. WYWH here excellent, but Shine On is Floyd.

COBL, I see you actually voted off Shine On at that moment.

Others who were brave enough to admit voting it off were LemonMelon, XHendrix24, and SeattleVertigo. And while they didn't specify what they voted for, both LMP and Lazarus made pro-WYWH comments, which lead me to believe they voted for it as well.

phanan said:
I just went back and looked at the WYWH final, and what a joke of a round that was. Shine On should have won. The amount of votes proves that a lot of casual fans figured into that one. WYWH here excellent, but Shine On is Floyd.

COBL, I see you actually voted off Shine On at that moment.

Others who were brave enough to admit voting it off were LemonMelon, XHendrix24, and SeattleVertigo. And while they didn't specify what they voted for, both LMP and Lazarus made pro-WYWH comments, which lead me to believe they voted for it as well.

Yeah, I did. Shine may be the quintessential Floyd song, but Wish is the better song period. It's an all-time classic. I mean, I think Redemption Song is the best thing Bob Marley ever did, even if it's not really "reggae" and indicative of his career.

I didn't vote in any of the rounds that I can remember because I am by no means an expert on Pink Floyd or anything (for a while there I thought WYWH was on The Wall :huh: ) but I have always loved Time :heart: so I am pleased with these results...

lazarus said:

Yeah, I did. Shine may be the quintessential Floyd song, but Wish is the better song period. It's an all-time classic. I mean, I think Redemption Song is the best thing Bob Marley ever did, even if it's not really "reggae" and indicative of his career.

We're obviously nitpicking here, as both are all-time classics. I disagree with your view that WYWH is better, though.

It's like saying that One or WOWY is better than Bad, which is quite possibly U2's quintessential song. Interesting that Bad never wins a survivor, either...

Shine On ought to have won, but the vagaries of the competition prevented it. Somehow, Earth continues to turn.

Thanks to COBL for running this comp. :up::up:

We need someone to start Led Zeppelin now. :yes:

Time is a great song. I'm disappointed that it won, but what the hell. It could be worse.

Thanks for running this, Danny. :yes:

I do think there is merit in the seeding system, though. Certainly I wish it had been used for PF Survivor.

Axver said:
I do think there is merit in the seeding system, though. Certainly I wish it had been used for PF Survivor.

Zeppelin only has 9 albums...it should be pretty quick, even running through them all in their entirety. Seeding systems, while having their merit, are also best served for artists with a huge back catalogue.

I think Wish You Were Here is probably their best song. But Time is amazing as well, so I'm happy it gets the win.

As far as Shine On, I think it's amazing as well, but in order for me to vote for it as the best Pink Floyd song, it would have to be more concise, tighter, instead of so sprawling.

LemonMelon said:

Zeppelin only has 9 albums...it should be pretty quick, even running through them all in their entirety. Seeding systems, while having their merit, are also best served for artists with a huge back catalogue.

I don't think the size of the back catalogue has anything to do with whether seeding's a good idea or not. I'm frankly not seeing why you even bring it up, as it strikes me as spectacularly irrelevant.

The issue is quality. It was madness that SOYCD I-V did not make the finals here; but had it made it, it would've been madness that WYWH did not. I think seeding, in the sense that the most popular albums send more than one song to the finals, is always going to be a good idea and go down well with fans.

Axver said:

I don't think the size of the back catalogue has anything to do with whether seeding's a good idea or not. I'm frankly not seeing why you even bring it up, as it strikes me as spectacularly irrelevant.

It would be, excepting the fact that the seeding concept was originally implemented for these tournaments a week ago when the David Bowie survivor was started specifically to avoid the time it would take to work through all of the albums in their entirety. No complaints have sprouted up, but it's early yet. Folks will eventually complain that certain albums weren't given the time they deserve and that the tournament is not nearly as thorough as it should be. Basically, it's relatively experimental, and folks didn't want to wait another few months to find out if the results of it are pleasing, so a more straightforward system was implemented for the Zeppelin survivor because we're all pretty comfortable with it.

LemonMelon said:

It would be, excepting the fact that the seeding concept was originally implemented for these tournaments a week ago when the David Bowie survivor was started specifically to avoid the time it would take to work through all of the albums in their entirety.

Er ... haven't you been participating in the Radiohead Survivor?

I'm referring to that seeding system, not the experimental Bowie one.

Axver said:

Er ... haven't you been participating in the Radiohead Survivor?

I'm referring to that seeding system, not the experimental Bowie one.

Oh, shit. That completely slipped my mind. :lol:

I could do that based on the results of the previous favorite Zep album poll, actually.

The difference with Zeppelin is that all of their albums really weigh about the same, at least to me. I guess an argument could be made for In Through The Out Door and Coda, but really, one song from each of these will be fine.

LemonMelon said:

Oh, shit. That completely slipped my mind. :lol:

I could do that based on the results of the previous favorite Zep album poll, actually.

:lol:

Considering you've only got nine albums and probably a rarities/non-albums category, you really wouldn't be overloading things if you let the top two from each album proceed to the finals and have 18-20 tracks fight it out for the top spot.

Here's a problem that needs to be discussed if a Radiohead survivor seeding system is going to be implemented.

picturekm1.jpg

Based on these results, a good rationing would be:

IV - 6 songs in the final draw
Houses - 5 songs in the final draw
II - 4 songs in the final draw
Physical Graffiti - 4 songs in the final draw
III - 3 songs in the final draw
I - 2 songs in the final draw
Presence, In Through The Out Door, Coda - 1 song in the final draw

Now, the problem is, IV has 8 songs on it, and 6 of them would make it through, which is something I can't condone. Any band with normal album-lengths, yes, but it's like having 3 songs from Close To The Edge go through in a Yes survivor.

As Axver previously mentioned, the only reason a seeding system works better is due to quality. With PF, it should've been done that way because we had to slog our way through mediocre material like More and Obscured By Clouds. With Bowie, you need to do it because he went downhill for a while in the 80's.

But that's not the case with Zeppelin. They were very consistent throughout their career. Yes, the last two albums are weaker, but they each have legitimate classics that stand up to the earlier material, and therefore a basic Survivor works well for them.

Back
Top Bottom