Time for another Jeff Buckley worship thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diemen

Resident Photo Buff
Staff member
Yes, it's high time we again salute the genius that was Jeff Buckley.

So I just bought the Grace Legacy Edition yesterday. :drool: Even if you already own Grace (which I do), buy this! You get a remastered Grace (sounds noticeably better than the original), a second disc of rare tracks, and a dvd with music videos and a Making of Grace documentary. My favorite part is probably the second disc, which is mainly cover songs. Just the variation in genres and how amazingly well Jeff does in each is astounding. From folky Dylan to old-time blues to country to pop to punk, and each song is captivating, even the wacky Alligator Wine.

There's something about Buckley's voice that can turn an ordinary song (Forget Her) into an extraordinary song, but even beyond his voice he just seemed to get the music, it flowed through him unrestricted by convention or genre. Songs like Parchman Farm Blues sound not like some modern interpretation of the blues, but like the authentic thing - like the man who is singing the lines lived the lines. More than anything this Legacy Edition makes me really wonder what kind of music we would've heard out of Jeff Buckley had he lived. You can completely sense his insatiable appetite for music throughout this entire collection.

So yeah... I'm on a big Jeff Buckley kick lately. :D
[/random heaping of praise]

I cant listen to Jeff. My former flat mate, Bruce, was a Jeffhead. All of the music at Bruces funeral a few years ago was Jeff.

I can't remember what the songs are called but they sounded absolutely haunting in a chapel, at a funeral. Seemed to flow well with the roar of the bikie procession following the herse also.

Jeff = Bruce for me.

On that breasfeeding hormonal point I will depart this thread.

RIP Jeff, and Bruce :sad:

beli said:

I can't remember what the songs are called but they sounded absolutely haunting in a chapel, at a funeral.

I saw Jeff perform in a church and then years later attended the memorial service for him in that same church (Jeff lived in my building in NYC for a year so while we weren't friends or anything we were certainly neighborly) so I can relate to how haunting his music is in that context.

I can't wait to pick this up.

Back
Top Bottom