Tim McCarver Memorial Post-Season Thread, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW, it's spelled L-O-S-E-R! Why in Lord's name do people spell this simple word incorrectly?
Kenny Rogers and everyone else is full of shit. For whatever reason, The Gambler gambled and took a chance that all of those FOX tv cameras all over the stadium weren't going to notice the pine tar on his hand. That was just so lame. I know it was cold, but the guy wound up pitching well anyway. What was he thinking or not thinking when he took the mound?

did my eyes deceive me or did they show "dirt" or "chocolate cake" on his pitching hand in several other post season games?

MrPryck2U said:
BTW, it's spelled L-O-S-E-R! Why in Lord's name do people spell this simple word incorrectly?
Kenny Rogers and everyone else is full of shit. For whatever reason, The Gambler gambled and took a chance that all of those FOX tv cameras all over the stadium weren't going to notice the pine tar on his hand. That was just so lame. I know it was cold, but the guy wound up pitching well anyway. What was he thinking or not thinking when he took the mound?

Oh, I was just kidding when I misspelled it!!! You think I don't know how to spell loo....I mean, loser?!??!?!?!?

Diane L said:

Us arrogant Noo Yawkers are entitled to our opinions too, even if we are insufferable!

*runs back to PLEBA*

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

I was just trying to add a bit of humor in this thread, spoofing the stereotype of NY attitude. But it really DOES tick me off when players who can't handle the heat here do well elsewhere...

Does anyone know if Bono was at the game? It would be so horrible if he shook hands with Kenny Rogers and got pine tar on his shirt or something.

how does a pitcher not know that their hand is all gunked up? Pitchers make sure that everything is perfect before they throw each pitch. they fix their hat, wipe stuff on their leg, spit, deep breath etc....everything has to be just so. I would think that if you had a big sh!t stain on your hand, you might feel it or AT THE VERY least realize that the ball doesn't feel right for some reason.

I don't buy the excuses one bit.

Oh, he definitely put something on his hand intentionally. I just don't see why it couldn't have been pitching dirt/clay and rosin (which is still somewhat shady -- dirt doesn't count as a foreign substance, and the umps don't make a pitcher wash his hands every time he hits the ground, but I don't think you're supposed to be slathering your hand in it).

Last edited:
it was so obvious though. other guys hide it in the belt while others under their caps....this was so blatant.

wasn't there a guy back in the 80s who got confiscated and he had a piece of sandpaper and as the umps were talking to him he kind of threw the sandpaper away behind him?:lmao:

tom neidenfuer perhaps...

Numb1075 said:

wasn't there a guy back in the 80s who got confiscated and he had a piece of sandpaper and as the umps were talking to him he kind of threw the sandpaper away behind him?:lmao:

tom neidenfuer perhaps...

I think it was one of the Neikros...maybe Phil.

StlElevation said:
kenny rogers is gonna get roasted. ba dum tish.

looks like you were WRONG :lol:
also on the post game on ESPN an unnamed pitcher called in & said that up to 70% of the pitchers use pine tar or something else. So before you crucify Rogers, you better check your own teams players out first. It didn't seem to affect his pitching after his hand was clean anyway so what's the point? The umps didn't inspect him on the mound with anything on his hand, nor did the cards say to check any of the baseballs he threw. No proof he was doctoring the ball, in fact Steve Palermo said it was dirt on his hand too.
CASE CLOSED
1-1 heading to missurey

Last edited:
Just look at the texture of it from Chizip's photo back on page 13. It looks sticky. Dirt doesn't look like that. Pine tar absolutely does.

Even Tim McCarver made sense of it :ohmy: : "If it wasn't illegal, then why did he wash it off?"

Back in 1987 I believe, Joe Niekro of the Minnesota Twins was busted with emory paper on the mound. He nonchalantly tried to lose the evidence but the ump wasn't buying it. I believe he was suspended as a result.

phillyfan26 said:

Even Tim McCarver made sense of it :ohmy: : "If it wasn't illegal, then why did he wash it off?"

Of course, he also gave us this number:

"If you look at that, he acutally overdoved on the ball. You see, right there he overdives. I guess you could say he overdived cause he was in overdrive! (laughs)"

Good ol' Tim never lets us down.

phanan said:

Bingo. If Rogers was cheating, LaRussa should have done something about it. I blame LaRussa more than anyone.

Well LaRussa did tell the umps about it, and the umps knew there was crap on his hand, as they made him wash it off. I'm sorry, but if a manager tells you that pitches are coming out weird and there is gunk on the guys hand, you have to go check him out, not just go tell him to wash it off.

Yes LaRussa could have done more, but the umps handled this situation terribly as well.

I also agree with Headache in wondering what the hell else is he on? He's yelling like a lunatic throughout the game, then crying in the interviews after the game, if he's willing to cheat with pine tar, why wouldn't he be hopped up on something else to give him an edge?

Last edited:
During each interview, Kenny gives his amazing run of success to playing "w/ his emotions".

I call it roid rage.

Imarocker said:

looks like you were WRONG :lol:
also on the post game on ESPN an unnamed pitcher called in & said that up to 70% of the pitchers use pine tar or something else. So before you crucify Rogers, you better check your own teams players out first. It didn't seem to affect his pitching after his hand was clean anyway so what's the point? The umps didn't inspect him on the mound with anything on his hand, nor did the cards say to check any of the baseballs he threw. No proof he was doctoring the ball, in fact Steve Palermo said it was dirt on his hand too.
CASE CLOSED
1-1 heading to missurey

first time ive been wrong about the cardinals in the playoffs.

oh well, they lost to a cheater, what are ya gonna do?

StlElevation said:

oh well, they lost to a cheater, what are ya gonna do?

When in Rome, do as the Romans.

It's time for Eckstein to cork his bat and maybe wear platform cleats so that he can reach those hits in the SS hole that have been a few inches out of his grasp.

Chizip said:

Well LaRussa did tell the umps about it, and the umps knew there was crap on his hand, as they made him wash it off. I'm sorry, but if a manager tells you that pitches are coming out weird and there is gunk on the guys hand, you have to go check him out, not just go tell him to wash it off.

Yes LaRussa could have done more, but the umps handled this situation terribly as well.

I also agree with Headache in wondering what the hell else is he on? He's yelling like a lunatic throughout the game, then crying in the interviews after the game, if he's willing to cheat with pine tar, why wouldn't he be hopped up on something else to give him an edge?

LaRussa easily could have made a much bigger stink about it than he did, though. It was almost like he nonchalantly talked about it with the umpires.

But yes, the umps didn't handle the situation particularly well, either.

And yeah, I'd say the guy's testosterone level is a bit out of whack at the moment...

Chizip said:

I'd be willing to be that LaRoose and the umps didn't make a big stink out of it because if STL would have called for a check of Rogers, DET would have called for a check of Weaver and so on and so forth and things would have gotten messy.

Baseball pitchers have ALWAYS used pinetar for their grip during cold weather. I have shaken pitchers hands on a few occasions before the game starts on cold weather days and if they have been warming up their hands are usually a little sticky. That's how it goes.

The real question is why Rogers is such a jack ass to make it so blatant? What a tool.

umm ive played baseball for the last fourteen years and still play currently and i've never once heard or seen of a pitcher using pinetar just because its cold. in fact, ive never seen a pitcher using pinetar at any level that i have played at or even considered it. additionally i am/was a catcher and never once had any of my pitchers even consider that...and being in connecticut there are plenty of cold weather games.

StlElevation said:
umm ive played baseball for the last fourteen years and still play currently and i've never once heard or seen of a pitcher using pinetar just because its cold. in fact, ive never seen a pitcher using pinetar at any level that i have played at or even considered it. additionally i am/was a catcher and never once had any of my pitchers even consider that...and being in connecticut there are plenty of cold weather games.

Right...I'm sure if they had checked Weaver he would have been clean.

StlElevation said:

Fascinating. Shall we have an anecdotal war? :drool: :drool:

I shook Greg Maddux's hand earlier this year after a start at Wrigley - his hand was sticky.

"If the hand is sticky, you can't be picky!" -- The jury is gonna eat that shit up.

Back
Top Bottom