Tim McCarver Memorial Post-Season Thread, Part Two - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,357
Local Time: 12:35 AM
i really wanted the game to be played last night... every met fan on earth was giddy as can be because glavine gets an extra day's rest now... whoopity doo. i feel like i'm the only one who didn't care about that.

the reasons why i think it could hurt more than help...
--of course, met fans who were so gung ho about glavine getting the extra day of rest completely forget that weaver gets an extra day of rest, too
--pujols is apparently a little banged up with a hammy or something... he gets a day of rest, also.
--the cardinals bullpen was beat up and worn thin sunday night... now they're rested.
--it's only a pitching advantage to the mets if glavine throws a gem tonight... at least 7 innings. if the mets bullpen has to go 4+ innings tonight, they have to play 2 more games (maybe) with john maine going in game 6, who was shaky last time out, and either darren oliver, who started maybe 1 game all year, steve trachsel or oliver perez on short rest in game 7... thus then the bullpen will be needed. the bullpen is very good, but when over-worked it's not nearly as good.

but hey... it is what it is. glavine wins tonight, goes 7 innings, and everything's golden.
__________________

__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 AM   #17
War Child
 
TheBrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: niagara falls
Posts: 830
Local Time: 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i really wanted the game to be played last night... every met fan on earth was giddy as can be because glavine gets an extra day's rest now... whoopity doo. i feel like i'm the only one who didn't care about that.

the reasons why i think it could hurt more than help...
--of course, met fans who were so gung ho about glavine getting the extra day of rest completely forget that weaver gets an extra day of rest, too
--pujols is apparently a little banged up with a hammy or something... he gets a day of rest, also.
--the cardinals bullpen was beat up and worn thin sunday night... now they're rested.
--it's only a pitching advantage to the mets if glavine throws a gem tonight... at least 7 innings. if the mets bullpen has to go 4+ innings tonight, they have to play 2 more games (maybe) with john maine going in game 6, who was shaky last time out, and either darren oliver, who started maybe 1 game all year, steve trachsel or oliver perez on short rest in game 7... thus then the bullpen will be needed. the bullpen is very good, but when over-worked it's not nearly as good.

but hey... it is what it is. glavine wins tonight, goes 7 innings, and everything's golden.

While I think youve overanalized this waaaay too much, I thought the same thing about the cardinals pen getting to rest. I thought that if we got to them in the fifth last night (if there was a game) they would have to throw someone out there that was worn out.


GO METS!!!!!
__________________

__________________
TheBrush is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,357
Local Time: 12:35 AM
the point is simple... if glavine pitches well and goes deep, the rain helps the mets. if glavine is gone by the 5th, the rain helps the cardinals... again. (unless of course weaver is gone by the 5th as well )
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: gone
Posts: 17,891
Local Time: 12:35 AM
i think it probably helps both teams equally, and it was probably the best thing to happen. 5 games in 5 days with each team having only 4 starters is not the best way to determine the NLCS.

big game tonight though, even though the cardinals have the pitching advantage for games 6 and 7, i dont see them winning both games in new york. i fear weavers luck running out and getting lit up tonight, but we'll see.
__________________
Chizip is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 11:27 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
popacrobat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: this house
Posts: 9,776
Local Time: 12:35 AM
i think it helped the cardinals as well because hopefully it cools down the mets momentum a little bit. but really in the longrun, the rain doesn't matter.
__________________
popacrobat is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,357
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
the cardinals have the pitching advantage for games 6 and 7
while i will agree with you, both carpenter and suppan are vastly superior pitchers at home as opposed to on the road.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 11:45 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: gone
Posts: 17,891
Local Time: 12:35 AM
which is why i dont see them winning both games in NY
__________________
Chizip is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,357
Local Time: 12:35 AM


__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Mr. BAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Life's too short to drink cheap wine!
Posts: 12,336
Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
Look...it is raining in St. Louis

I hope Bono's not getting wet......does anyone know if Bono wears a raincoat???? :worryfretworry:
__________________
Mr. BAW is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. BAW
I hope Bono's not getting wet......does anyone know if Bono wears a raincoat???? :worryfretworry:
Rick


No in-depth sports talk analysis here, I just want the Mets to win.
__________________
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 01:10 PM   #26
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator
 
Bonochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cherry Lane
Posts: 40,816
Local Time: 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. BAW
I hope Bono's not getting wet......does anyone know if Bono wears a raincoat???? :worryfretworry:
__________________
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. BAW
I hope Bono's not getting wet......does anyone know if Bono wears a raincoat???? :worryfretworry:




I you!
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,357
Local Time: 12:35 AM
i hear rain is bad for hairplugs. i hope he wore a hat
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
popacrobat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: this house
Posts: 9,776
Local Time: 12:35 AM
think he has a cloth for his shades? i dont want them to be ruined by rain.
__________________
popacrobat is offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,357
Local Time: 12:35 AM
your useless stat of the night...

Quote:
The Mets have had five postseason games weathered out in franchise history now. They went 4-0 after the first four rainouts -- including a fairly memorable victory in Game 7 of the 1986 World Series.
__________________

__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com