Tim McCarver Memorial Post-Season Thread, Part Two - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2006, 12:13 PM   #256
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

that's all fine and dandy but the same comerica park radar gun hasn't been clocking kenny rogers' fastball in the mid 90s all year. it is now.

That's not really true. I've seen him reach the 93-94 mark a few times this season - while at home.

It's just like seeing Nate Robertson hitting 98 on the gun. That's just not the truth.

That's why I really don't believe that Zoom is throwing 103. I think he throws 100 sometimes legit.

BTW - this is from an article on CNNSI that interviewed a bullpen coach. It talks about how many pitchers are using stuff on their balls (baseballs ya perv.)

""I bet Tony La Russa's pitchers are mad at him for saying anything, because a lot of guys do it, and I'd be surprise if there's a whole staff of guys who don't do it. In fact, I'd say a majority of guys use one of the three -- shaving cream, suntan lotion or pine tar. They can't like him ratting out the other team when everyone does it. Maybe he had to say something because it's the World Series, it's on TV and he probably has to answer to his owner.

"But you'll notice he didn't continue to talk about it, and he instructed his guys not to talk about it. They probably have no interest in catching Rogers because if they do then the umpire is looking at everyone.''

Old 10-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #257
Blue Crack Addict

I just heard the funniest interview ever with White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper on AM 670 out of Chicago.

First he said that almost all pitchers use either pinetar, rosin, suntan lotion, or shaving cream on the ball. He said that it doesn't affect how the ball moves, but it gives the pitchers the ability to grip the ball and throw their pitches.

He wondered why hitters can use pinetar to hold onto their instrument (ha ha ha) but pitchers can't. He asked a good question, "What has MLB done in the last 30 years to help the pitchers? Nothing. Its all been for the hitters."

They asked him if it is possible that Kenny Rogers didn't know that he had 'dirt' on his hand like he claimed. "Hell no. That's like walking down the street with crap in your pants and not knowing it!"

Ha ha ha . Well done coop.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #258
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:09 AM
If it's accepted in baseball, why don't they change the rule?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #259
ONE
love, blood, life

i expect a slugfest tonight
Old 10-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #260
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
If it's accepted in baseball, why don't they change the rule?
Maybe they should. Given the tacit acceptance of pitchers using pine tar, suspending a pitcher 10 games for using it seems a lot like putting a guy in prison for speeding or downloading pirated music.

Jorge Posada claims that David Wells put shaving cream on his forearms when he pitched with the Yankees. When Wells moved to the Red Sox, the Yankees could have busted Wells anytime they wanted, but chose not to.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #261
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah I saw Verlander pitch in Cleveland in August and they had him consistently at 100-101. I don't think it's him. Just Rogers.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #262
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
I just heard the funniest interview ever with White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper on AM 670 out of Chicago.

First he said that almost all pitchers use either pinetar, rosin, suntan lotion, or shaving cream on the ball. He said that it doesn't affect how the ball moves, but it gives the pitchers the ability to grip the ball and throw their pitches.

He wondered why hitters can use pinetar to hold onto their instrument (ha ha ha) but pitchers can't. He asked a good question, "What has MLB done in the last 30 years to help the pitchers? Nothing. Its all been for the hitters."

They asked him if it is possible that Kenny Rogers didn't know that he had 'dirt' on his hand like he claimed. "Hell no. That's like walking down the street with crap in your pants and not knowing it!"

Ha ha ha . Well done coop.
Kenny Rogers will never be checked, but the entire White Sox staff will. That's how baseball works.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #263
ONE
love, blood, life

zumaya was hitting 103 in the playoffs....is that even humanly possible?

I remember reading an article maybe 15 years ago, and it was talking about a minor leaguer who was consistenly throwing the ball 100 mph. it turns out it was an april fools joke article.

but funny how now we have like a dozen pitchers who are hitting upper 90s and low 100s regularly.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #264
Blue Crack Supplier

It's been proven that Fox's radar gun adds 3-4 MPH on the stadium's gun.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #265
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Yeah I saw Verlander pitch in Cleveland in August and they had him consistently at 100-101. I don't think it's him. Just Rogers.

Rogers, Robertson, Grilli, and Rodney consistently registered higher MPHs on their fastballs at home than they did on the road.

So no, it hasn't just been rogers.

Hell even Maroth was throwing heat (on the Comerica radar gun) before he went down this year. Your mom throws harder than Mike Maroth.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #266
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Kenny Rogers will never be checked, but the entire White Sox staff will. That's how baseball works.

No one will be checked because just like LaRussa, no manager is going to raise a stink over this because most pitchers are doing it. Its not a big deal.

They will, however, keep calling guys out if the ball looks to have been doctored.

Brian Moehler will you please step forward...
Old 10-24-2006, 08:01 PM   #267
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:09 AM
Quote:

Right, like that stuff obviously worked for Neal Cotts and Mark Buehrle this year.

stupid sock.

Anyway! The Series is up in the air for me at the moment.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #268
ONE
love, blood, life

I Hate Bud Selig.

It is too bad that some other commish will have to put up with the current contract.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:10 PM   #269
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:09 AM
I enjoyed your "podunk" rant earlier in the thread jeff. I'm sorry I wasn't around for that.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #270
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Given the way the Tigers are hacking away so far (15 pitches through 2 innings), it looks like Chris Carpenter could pitch Game 4 as well.