Tim McCarver Memorial Post-Season Thread, Part Two - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #226
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,062
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075

wasn't there a guy back in the 80s who got confiscated and he had a piece of sandpaper and as the umps were talking to him he kind of threw the sandpaper away behind him?

tom neidenfuer perhaps...
I think it was one of the Neikros...maybe Phil.
__________________

__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 02:39 PM   #227
War Child
 
Imarocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: stuck in Mich
Posts: 685
Local Time: 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
kenny rogers is gonna get roasted. ba dum tish.
looks like you were WRONG
also on the post game on ESPN an unnamed pitcher called in & said that up to 70% of the pitchers use pine tar or something else. So before you crucify Rogers, you better check your own teams players out first. It didn't seem to affect his pitching after his hand was clean anyway so what's the point? The umps didn't inspect him on the mound with anything on his hand, nor did the cards say to check any of the baseballs he threw. No proof he was doctoring the ball, in fact Steve Palermo said it was dirt on his hand too.
CASE CLOSED
1-1 heading to missurey
__________________

__________________
Imarocker is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #228
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Just look at the texture of it from Chizip's photo back on page 13. It looks sticky. Dirt doesn't look like that. Pine tar absolutely does.

Even Tim McCarver made sense of it : "If it wasn't illegal, then why did he wash it off?"
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Back in 1987 I believe, Joe Niekro of the Minnesota Twins was busted with emory paper on the mound. He nonchalantly tried to lose the evidence but the ump wasn't buying it. I believe he was suspended as a result.
__________________
MrPryck2U is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 03:16 PM   #230
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Even Tim McCarver made sense of it : "If it wasn't illegal, then why did he wash it off?"
Of course, he also gave us this number:

"If you look at that, he acutally overdoved on the ball. You see, right there he overdives. I guess you could say he overdived cause he was in overdrive! (laughs)"

Good ol' Tim never lets us down.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #231
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Numb1075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tarrytown, NY
Posts: 11,382
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Tim McCarver is a waste of space. Put Keith Hernandez in the booth.
__________________
Numb1075 is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #232
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: gone
Posts: 17,891
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan


Bingo. If Rogers was cheating, LaRussa should have done something about it. I blame LaRussa more than anyone.
Well LaRussa did tell the umps about it, and the umps knew there was crap on his hand, as they made him wash it off. I'm sorry, but if a manager tells you that pitches are coming out weird and there is gunk on the guys hand, you have to go check him out, not just go tell him to wash it off.

Yes LaRussa could have done more, but the umps handled this situation terribly as well.

I also agree with Headache in wondering what the hell else is he on? He's yelling like a lunatic throughout the game, then crying in the interviews after the game, if he's willing to cheat with pine tar, why wouldn't he be hopped up on something else to give him an edge?
__________________
Chizip is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 03:51 PM   #233
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Numb1075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tarrytown, NY
Posts: 11,382
Local Time: 05:24 AM
During each interview, Kenny gives his amazing run of success to playing "w/ his emotions".

I call it roid rage.
__________________
Numb1075 is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #234
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
popacrobat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: this house
Posts: 9,776
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Imarocker


looks like you were WRONG
also on the post game on ESPN an unnamed pitcher called in & said that up to 70% of the pitchers use pine tar or something else. So before you crucify Rogers, you better check your own teams players out first. It didn't seem to affect his pitching after his hand was clean anyway so what's the point? The umps didn't inspect him on the mound with anything on his hand, nor did the cards say to check any of the baseballs he threw. No proof he was doctoring the ball, in fact Steve Palermo said it was dirt on his hand too.
CASE CLOSED
1-1 heading to missurey
first time ive been wrong about the cardinals in the playoffs.

oh well, they lost to a cheater, what are ya gonna do?
__________________
popacrobat is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 04:21 PM   #235
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Numb1075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tarrytown, NY
Posts: 11,382
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation




oh well, they lost to a cheater, what are ya gonna do?
When in Rome, do as the Romans.

It's time for Eckstein to cork his bat and maybe wear platform cleats so that he can reach those hits in the SS hole that have been a few inches out of his grasp.
__________________
Numb1075 is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 04:43 PM   #236
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,062
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip


Well LaRussa did tell the umps about it, and the umps knew there was crap on his hand, as they made him wash it off. I'm sorry, but if a manager tells you that pitches are coming out weird and there is gunk on the guys hand, you have to go check him out, not just go tell him to wash it off.

Yes LaRussa could have done more, but the umps handled this situation terribly as well.

I also agree with Headache in wondering what the hell else is he on? He's yelling like a lunatic throughout the game, then crying in the interviews after the game, if he's willing to cheat with pine tar, why wouldn't he be hopped up on something else to give him an edge?
LaRussa easily could have made a much bigger stink about it than he did, though. It was almost like he nonchalantly talked about it with the umpires.

But yes, the umps didn't handle the situation particularly well, either.

And yeah, I'd say the guy's testosterone level is a bit out of whack at the moment...
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 04:52 PM   #237
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip


I also agree with Headache in wondering what the hell else is he on? He's yelling like a lunatic throughout the game, then crying in the interviews after the game, if he's willing to cheat with pine tar, why wouldn't he be hopped up on something else to give him an edge?

I'd be willing to be that LaRoose and the umps didn't make a big stink out of it because if STL would have called for a check of Rogers, DET would have called for a check of Weaver and so on and so forth and things would have gotten messy.

Baseball pitchers have ALWAYS used pinetar for their grip during cold weather. I have shaken pitchers hands on a few occasions before the game starts on cold weather days and if they have been warming up their hands are usually a little sticky. That's how it goes.

The real question is why Rogers is such a jack ass to make it so blatant? What a tool.
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #238
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
popacrobat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: this house
Posts: 9,776
Local Time: 05:24 AM
umm ive played baseball for the last fourteen years and still play currently and i've never once heard or seen of a pitcher using pinetar just because its cold. in fact, ive never seen a pitcher using pinetar at any level that i have played at or even considered it. additionally i am/was a catcher and never once had any of my pitchers even consider that...and being in connecticut there are plenty of cold weather games.
__________________
popacrobat is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #239
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
umm ive played baseball for the last fourteen years and still play currently and i've never once heard or seen of a pitcher using pinetar just because its cold. in fact, ive never seen a pitcher using pinetar at any level that i have played at or even considered it. additionally i am/was a catcher and never once had any of my pitchers even consider that...and being in connecticut there are plenty of cold weather games.
Right...I'm sure if they had checked Weaver he would have been clean.
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #240
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
umm ive played baseball for the last fourteen years and still play currently and i've never once heard or seen of a pitcher using pinetar just because its cold. in fact, ive never seen a pitcher using pinetar at any level that i have played at or even considered it. additionally i am/was a catcher and never once had any of my pitchers even consider that...and being in connecticut there are plenty of cold weather games.
Fascinating. Shall we have an anecdotal war?


I shook Greg Maddux's hand earlier this year after a start at Wrigley - his hand was sticky.

"If the hand is sticky, you can't be picky!" -- The jury is gonna eat that shit up.
__________________

__________________
Dalton is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com