Tim McCarver Memorial Post-Season Thread, Part Two - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #226
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075

wasn't there a guy back in the 80s who got confiscated and he had a piece of sandpaper and as the umps were talking to him he kind of threw the sandpaper away behind him?

tom neidenfuer perhaps...
I think it was one of the Neikros...maybe Phil.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:39 PM   #227
War Child

Local Time: 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
kenny rogers is gonna get roasted. ba dum tish.
looks like you were WRONG
also on the post game on ESPN an unnamed pitcher called in & said that up to 70% of the pitchers use pine tar or something else. So before you crucify Rogers, you better check your own teams players out first. It didn't seem to affect his pitching after his hand was clean anyway so what's the point? The umps didn't inspect him on the mound with anything on his hand, nor did the cards say to check any of the baseballs he threw. No proof he was doctoring the ball, in fact Steve Palermo said it was dirt on his hand too.
CASE CLOSED
1-1 heading to missurey

Old 10-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #228
Blue Crack Supplier

Just look at the texture of it from Chizip's photo back on page 13. It looks sticky. Dirt doesn't look like that. Pine tar absolutely does.

Even Tim McCarver made sense of it : "If it wasn't illegal, then why did he wash it off?"
Old 10-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Back in 1987 I believe, Joe Niekro of the Minnesota Twins was busted with emory paper on the mound. He nonchalantly tried to lose the evidence but the ump wasn't buying it. I believe he was suspended as a result.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:16 PM   #230
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Even Tim McCarver made sense of it : "If it wasn't illegal, then why did he wash it off?"
Of course, he also gave us this number:

"If you look at that, he acutally overdoved on the ball. You see, right there he overdives. I guess you could say he overdived cause he was in overdrive! (laughs)"

Good ol' Tim never lets us down.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #231
ONE
love, blood, life

Tim McCarver is a waste of space. Put Keith Hernandez in the booth.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #232
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Bingo. If Rogers was cheating, LaRussa should have done something about it. I blame LaRussa more than anyone.
Well LaRussa did tell the umps about it, and the umps knew there was crap on his hand, as they made him wash it off. I'm sorry, but if a manager tells you that pitches are coming out weird and there is gunk on the guys hand, you have to go check him out, not just go tell him to wash it off.

Yes LaRussa could have done more, but the umps handled this situation terribly as well.

I also agree with Headache in wondering what the hell else is he on? He's yelling like a lunatic throughout the game, then crying in the interviews after the game, if he's willing to cheat with pine tar, why wouldn't he be hopped up on something else to give him an edge?
Old 10-23-2006, 03:51 PM   #233
ONE
love, blood, life

During each interview, Kenny gives his amazing run of success to playing "w/ his emotions".

I call it roid rage.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #234
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Imarocker

looks like you were WRONG
also on the post game on ESPN an unnamed pitcher called in & said that up to 70% of the pitchers use pine tar or something else. So before you crucify Rogers, you better check your own teams players out first. It didn't seem to affect his pitching after his hand was clean anyway so what's the point? The umps didn't inspect him on the mound with anything on his hand, nor did the cards say to check any of the baseballs he threw. No proof he was doctoring the ball, in fact Steve Palermo said it was dirt on his hand too.
CASE CLOSED
1-1 heading to missurey
first time ive been wrong about the cardinals in the playoffs.

oh well, they lost to a cheater, what are ya gonna do?
Old 10-23-2006, 04:21 PM   #235
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

oh well, they lost to a cheater, what are ya gonna do?
When in Rome, do as the Romans.

It's time for Eckstein to cork his bat and maybe wear platform cleats so that he can reach those hits in the SS hole that have been a few inches out of his grasp.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:43 PM   #236
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

Well LaRussa did tell the umps about it, and the umps knew there was crap on his hand, as they made him wash it off. I'm sorry, but if a manager tells you that pitches are coming out weird and there is gunk on the guys hand, you have to go check him out, not just go tell him to wash it off.

Yes LaRussa could have done more, but the umps handled this situation terribly as well.

I also agree with Headache in wondering what the hell else is he on? He's yelling like a lunatic throughout the game, then crying in the interviews after the game, if he's willing to cheat with pine tar, why wouldn't he be hopped up on something else to give him an edge?
LaRussa easily could have made a much bigger stink about it than he did, though. It was almost like he nonchalantly talked about it with the umpires.

But yes, the umps didn't handle the situation particularly well, either.

And yeah, I'd say the guy's testosterone level is a bit out of whack at the moment...
Old 10-23-2006, 04:52 PM   #237
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

I'd be willing to be that LaRoose and the umps didn't make a big stink out of it because if STL would have called for a check of Rogers, DET would have called for a check of Weaver and so on and so forth and things would have gotten messy.

Baseball pitchers have ALWAYS used pinetar for their grip during cold weather. I have shaken pitchers hands on a few occasions before the game starts on cold weather days and if they have been warming up their hands are usually a little sticky. That's how it goes.

The real question is why Rogers is such a jack ass to make it so blatant? What a tool.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #238
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

umm ive played baseball for the last fourteen years and still play currently and i've never once heard or seen of a pitcher using pinetar just because its cold. in fact, ive never seen a pitcher using pinetar at any level that i have played at or even considered it. additionally i am/was a catcher and never once had any of my pitchers even consider that...and being in connecticut there are plenty of cold weather games.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #239
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:24 AM
Quote:
umm ive played baseball for the last fourteen years and still play currently and i've never once heard or seen of a pitcher using pinetar just because its cold. in fact, ive never seen a pitcher using pinetar at any level that i have played at or even considered it. additionally i am/was a catcher and never once had any of my pitchers even consider that...and being in connecticut there are plenty of cold weather games.
Right...I'm sure if they had checked Weaver he would have been clean.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #240
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Fascinating. Shall we have an anecdotal war?

I shook Greg Maddux's hand earlier this year after a start at Wrigley - his hand was sticky.

"If the hand is sticky, you can't be picky!" -- The jury is gonna eat that shit up.