Tiger, by how far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brettig

New Yorker
Well the USGA have played right into Tiger Woods' capable hands this year with the way they've setup Bethpage Black. He's at the head of the field after the 1st round of the US Open with a scrambling round that got him a 67 on a day when there were less players under par than over 80! Im really irritated that the USGA decided to have such a long layout (including a 500 yard par 4!), when it was shown last year that a course requiring shot shapes and judicious selection off the tee leaves the tournament open for more types of players to win it. As I see it now the only guys with a hope in hell of besting Tiger this week are Sergio Garcia and Phil Mickelson, and even then theyre both huge longshots.

You know.. you're exactly right on this one.. I too am wishing for the return to like a 6900 course, that requires skill of shots (Not saying these long behemoths don't).. but just a mastery of all kinds of shots to win the tournament.. And still then, I'd pick Tiger, but it may not be these 'given's that we allot Tiger now..

I mean, when was it.. two years ago.. teh British Open at St. Andrews.. Tiger was talking about how he spent a few months mastering the punch shots to keep the ball out of the wind.. That's what I like to see.. people learning how to maneuver the ball and use skill to knock it close rather than just lofting up wedges and eight irons.

L.Unplugged

Back
Top Bottom