'Thriller' turns 25 today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lazarus said:
You're counting Baby Be Mine and The Lady in My Life as killer tracks?

Ugh, no! :lol:

I pulled that number out of my butt because I don't have the album itself and didn't want to take the time to look up how many tracks are actually on it.

I just know there are more individual tracks I like on Thriller than there are on either JT album.

No spoken words said:
Laz's worst nightmare:

A 4 hour film about Michael Jackson, with Tom Hanks in some sort of key role, directed by Steven Spielberg.

That film would be more horrifying than Schindler's List.

corianderstem said:

Ugh, no! :lol:

I pulled that number out of my butt because I don't have the album itself and didn't want to take the time to look up how many tracks are actually on it.

I just know there are more individual tracks I like on Thriller than there are on either JT album.

You can't forget the now-hilarious duet "The Girl Is Mine" with Paul McCartney.

It's amazing on so many levels.

LemonMacPhisto said:
You can't forget the now-hilarious duet "The Girl Is Mine" with Paul McCartney.

It's amazing on so many levels.

I love all of Paul McCartney's duets with Michael Jackson and/or Stevie Wonder.

They're cheese-a-rific, but so damned catchy!

"she told me I was her forever-lover, Michael, don't you remember?"

Shoulda gotten a pre-nup, Paul.

No spoken words said:

YLB always has my back.

Damn skippy.

corianderstem said:

I love all of Paul McCartney's duets with Michael Jackson and/or Stevie Wonder.

They're cheese-a-rific, but so damned catchy!

I started singing this spontaneously the other day in the shower. I think I was running through the various brands of soap available, for some reason. I hadn't seen the video before, but it was exactly how I imagined it would be! :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZtiJN6yiik&feature=related

Ha ha haaaaa! Ah yes.

You know, the cheesiness of that song aside, Tug of War is a really solid McCartney album. It has some really great songs on it.

I still prefer the Sinatra / Stevie Wonder version.

"I am black and you are white...
You're as blind as a bat and I have sight!"

lazarus said:
You're counting Baby Be Mine and The Lady in My Life as killer tracks?

The reason I love this album so much is that he isn't just taking direction from MJ; there's a distinct Prince influence on the album that really expands JT's palette--he's willing to challenge his audience a bit with some more abrasive sounds and a variety of style that defies easy categorization. Just check out that guitar part that segues between LoveStoned and I Think That She Knows--that hits something much deeper than your standard party music.

I completely agree. FutureSex/LoveSounds is one of the best pop albums I've heard in a long time. Justin's really grown as an artist in every area. The guitar part in LoveStoned/I Think She Knows is :drool:. I bow to whomever came up with that.

I strongly disagree about the Justin comments. Justin Timberlake and a LOT of today's pop and R'n'B/Soul/Hip Hop artists wouldn't be around without MJ. A lot of them are simply ripping the man off. Think of MJ personally what you will, but he deserves a lot more credit. He has an extraordinary voice and his dancing is magic.

http://music.sympatico.msn.ca/New+V...ne=False&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=False

New Version of the Album Thriller

(BUM) Many celebrities are collaborating in the re-make of the album Thriller, by Michael Jackson.

Epic/Legacy Recordings will be launching a new version of the successful album Thriller, on February 12. Many artists such as Kanye West, Akon and will.i.am, will be singing the tracks on this album.

West will be singing Billie Jean, will.i.am will be singing The Girl is Mine and P.Y.T. There will also be a duet by Akon and will.i.am for the single Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'.

There will be an unedited version of For All Time, a demo version of Billie Jean, as well as the singles Someone in the Dark and Carousel.

Thriller will also have a DVD with the videos for Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean, as well as clips of Jackson who made an appearance on Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever, by NBC.[

last unicorn said:
I strongly disagree about the Justin comments. Justin Timberlake and a LOT of today's pop and R'n'B/Soul/Hip Hop artists wouldn't be around without MJ. A lot of them are simply ripping the man off. Think of MJ personally what you will, but he deserves a lot more credit. He has an extraordinary voice and his dancing is magic.

You know, it is possible to surpass someone who influenced you (i.e. Guns 'n' Roses > Aerosmith). As far as ripping MJ off, I only see it in dance moves. I don't hear any other respectable sould artists shrieking out nonsense words like "shamon", grabbing their crotch, etc. As I've said before, MJ's main contribution was making a big splash with music videos, and I don't think it's had a positive effect on the integrity of the industry.

From a technical standpoint, Timberlake is a superior singer. I don't know how you could really dispute this.

As much as I appreciate Thriller and love those songs, there's no way in hell I'm buying the "remake" of the album. How can you improve on (most of :wink: ) those songs?

corianderstem said:
As much as I appreciate Thriller and love those songs, there's no way in hell I'm buying the "remake" of the album. How can you improve on (most of :wink: ) those songs?

Your avatar! :lol: :yikes:

Anyone recall the E.T. soundtrack with Michael? I think it ended up getting pulled for some sort of legal issue, but I was lucky enough to get a copy before they completely disappeared. At the time, I thought it was incredible that my two favourite forces were teaming up! (E.T. remains my favourite film of all-time.)

Just reading the story BonoManiac posted...it looks like one of the 'new' tracks on the Thriller re-make is actually from that soundtrack. As a kid, I listened to Someone in the Dark endlessly...so much so, I think I warped the album. :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI_WEHGv9kI&feature=related

Along with the vinyl record, the soundtrack came with a storybook, and a huge poster with the image below that I quickly put up on the bedroom wall.

Ah, childhood. :wink:

michael1fve9.jpg

I think ET was the only one who truly "understood" the King of Pop.

Seriously, though, Thriller was/is great and I can't believe its been 25 years already. Give Jacko his due; Thriller was his masterpiece. And of course, give big props to The Man, Quincy Jones. He brought out the best in MJ.

Back
Top Bottom