'Thriller' turns 25 today. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 12-02-2007, 12:09 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:31 AM
Yeah, no matter how one feels about Michael Jackson, you can't deny the guy had some good songs. I've not heard this album in full yet , but I've always liked the big hits from it. Someday I'll check out the entire thing.

I do remember seeing the video for "Thriller" on MTV when I was a kid...it always scared me. I love it now, though, it's an awesome video.

Happy 25th anniversary to the Thriller album .

Old 12-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
This makes me feel all nostalgic. I was 15 when Thriller came out. I remember being at my boyfriend's house watching MTV (his parents had cable and mine didn't) and we watched the world premiere of the Thriller video. I never liked that particular video, but I loved everything else MJ related.

Then when Purple Rain came out about a year and a half later, my classmates and I were all like "Michael who?"

Although Prince pretty much swamps Michael talent-wise as a whole, Billie Jean and Beat It still deserve to be called classics, IMHO.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:18 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 10:31 AM
I used to love Michael. Thriller is a mile stone in music history.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor
Local Time: 05:31 AM
ironicaly enough michael's first molestation victim also truns 25 today
Old 12-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #20
Local Time: 02:31 PM
Never got into the whole Michael Jackson scene. Sure, I've heard some of the songs off of Thriller, but they just never excited me. I guess I'm one of the few people who feel that way. <grin>
Old 12-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #21
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 10:31 AM
Mostly what I associate this album with (I was 11 at the time) is the unbelievably ridiculous extent to which US pop culture for the next, what, 2 years? 3 years? seemed to be continuously saturated with Michael Jackson this, Michael Jackson that, Michael Michael Michael blah blah blah. It wasn't just that the songs were popular and the record successful; you couldn't open a magazine or turn on the TV or go to the mall or any kind of preteen-through-to-teen kids' event without some Michael Jackson news story, some Michael Jackson impersonator or someone imitating his dance steps, or several songs from it that you'd already heard hundreds of times (whether or not you owned the album) blaring away in the background. I'm not sure I can think of anyone else who's drawn quite that level of broad-based popular hysteria for that sustained a time since then. I've never owned the album, but it was probably about 10 years before I was able to hear songs from Thriller on the radio without having an automatic-gag-reflex-due-to-overload reaction. And to be fair, I was somewhat surprised by that point to find myself thinking, Yeah, really these are pretty good pop tunes, and even more so dance tunes--I think the sheer danceability of it probably explains the album's success more than anything else. Still, I can't help shaking my head at the memory of how insanely saturated with it everything seemed to be at the time.
yolland [at] interference.com

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #22
Local Time: 01:31 AM
Thriller is 25?

Fuck, I'm old.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #23
you are what you is
Local Time: 11:31 AM
Originally posted by lazarus
[B]I was there (born 1972), and enjoyed those songs as much as the next kid. We've discussed Thriller before and I don't want to get too deep into it again (esp. as I'm in the minority) but I find it a bit overrated as far as art is concerned, if you want to even call it that. It's not much more than a cultural artifact to me, and I don't think it has any more resonance than the other pop music from the period--in fact it has even less social relevance than something like Cyndi Lauper.[B]
I was born in 75 and I completely agree, except that even back then I was somehow indifferent to it all also
when I hear any of the songs now all I can hear is that it sounds outdated and has some good melodies

I don't really do musical nostalgia
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor
Originally posted by corianderstem
I think everyone in my sixth-grade class had a copy.

I was in love with Michael Jackson! How embarrassing. I had a poster where he was wearing a white shirt and pants, and a yellow sweater vest.

My grandma knit me a yellow sweater vest because of that. I loved it.

I had that same poster.

Or, should that be a

I didn't have any family members knit me a matching sweater, though.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 11:31 AM
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
I had that same poster.

Or, should that be a

Old 12-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
Let's see, I was 12 when Thriller came out. I might have had a cassette of it, I don't recall. I never liked him from the beginning, but there's no denying how big that album was.

But in the summer of 1984, I played Purple Rain all the time. Prince was the man.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 02:31 AM
Give me "Don't Stop 'Till you Get Enough" or "Shake your Body Down to the Ground" over anything from Thriller, any day.

I was born in 1970, I remember Michaels' acension to superstardom well. I cannot say that I loved Thriller, but I'd be lying if I said I disliked it. My favorite song from the album was, and remains, "Human Nature", which I think it a gorgeous song.

I'd already found U2 by 1984, though, and they were dominating my musical landscape then. If memory serves, I was turned on to REM right around 1984 as well, and I was completely taken with Murmur and Reckoning.

Anyway, I always felt like Michael was judged in extremes, unwarranted extremes....he's not as good as he was made out to be back in the day, nor do I feel that his music should be casually dismissed.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:01 AM
Really enjoyed your post, yolland! I was eight when Thriller came out, and like you say, the album truly was everywhere. The very definition of a phenomenon. I haven't seen anything like it since--a kind of power that cuts across generations to the extent that even your grandma knows what you're talking about...and can relate.

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven the day my mom brought home a life-sized MJ poster from France. Even bigger than that was the pull to learn the Moonwalk! It was a right of passage, like grasping the ability to tie your shoelaces. I had a patient friend who would give me lessons after school on the linoleum floor...when I finally mastered the motion in my socked feet, it was truly a moment. I can still do it now...like riding a bike.

Great moment in time, brought to us by a great performer...at the time. It's sad that's he's fallen so far since then. Ultimately, he seems to be a full-time member of the Elvis celebrity club, where the pressure and spotlight literally eats at them from the inside-out.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor
Local Time: 02:31 AM
I'm curious about the comments about it being outdated. Is it because when you hear those songs, it takes you right back to the 80s because, as discussed, it was everywhere? Or do you think the songs themselves are dated?

I will concede the points about nostalgia - I doubt I'd enjoy the music as much if I weren't a child of the 80s, but I don't think the album should be dismissed outright.

It's a collection of amazingly well-crafted pop/dance tunes, and like the songs or roll your eyes at them, I think it's absurd for the album to be dismissed as nostalgia or whatever else without at least acknowledging the album for what it was at the time.

That being said, I just hope there's calvacade of 25th anniversary acclaim for Purple Rain.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
I also remember the yellow sweater vest. I think I had a Michael Jackson doll, with the red vinyl jacket .

The thing about the "Thriller" phenomenon too was that it lasted for about two years. The album came out when I was six and I remember going to a classmate's 8th birthday party where the big thing was watching the making of the "Thriller" video. It was Michael Jackson this, Michael Jackson that constantly from like 82 - 85.