'Thriller' turns 25 today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
That being said, I just hope there's calvacade of 25th anniversary acclaim for Purple Rain. :drool:

Oh, I'm sure there will be :).

Not that I'd have any recollection of either album when they debuted-Thriller came out two years before I was born, and Purple Rain came out the year I was born. But that's a good point yolland brought up-I know Thriller was big, I've certainly heard about how popular it was, but man, '82-'85 you had to deal with that? That'd get to me, too, I don't blame you.

As for albums sounding "dated"-honestly, that's never really been something that's bothered me when it comes to music. A lot of people, I'm sure, thought that whatever new technology was out at the time going to be around for a while and they wanted to experiment with it. I can't really fault them for that. And it seems I always hear that term in relation to '80s music-rarely do I hear it used to describe any other era. Every decade will have songs that will definitely recall that specific time period-there's songs out now that are most definitely going to have that '00s sound to them, and will sound very dated 10 years from now. Besides, sometimes having a song sound "of its time" lends it a bit of charm, I think. But that's just my view *Shrugs*.

Angela

phanan said:
Let's see, I was 12 when Thriller came out. I might have had a cassette of it, I don't recall. I never liked him from the beginning, but there's no denying how big that album was.

But in the summer of 1984, I played Purple Rain all the time. Prince was the man.

Exactly the same as me. I remember taking the bus to go and buy the cassette which is kind of strange because before that I was really only into Kiss, Zep, Rush, etc. Thriller only had one song I kind of liked which was 'Human Nature'. And by '84 Prince was it!

Moonlit_Angel said:
As for albums sounding "dated"-honestly, that's never really been something that's bothered me when it comes to music. A lot of people, I'm sure, thought that whatever new technology was out at the time going to be around for a while and they wanted to experiment with it. I can't really fault them for that. And it seems I always hear that term in relation to '80s music-rarely do I hear it used to describe any other era. Every decade will have songs that will definitely recall that specific time period-there's songs out now that are most definitely going to have that '00s sound to them, and will sound very dated 10 years from now. Besides, sometimes having a song sound "of its time" lends it a bit of charm, I think. But that's just my view *Shrugs*.
in my opinon there's lots of 80s music that brings you back immediately to that time but doesn't sound dated to me at all
Talking Heads, Talk Talk, even Fleetwood Mac's Tango in the night

as big as Michael Jackson was back then
in the end he is no bigger phenomenon to me than Kylie Minogue
also music that won't age well because of a lack of soul, but that's lots of fun right now
main difference being that thriller era Jacko will always be the first 'pop' phenomenon and probably will always remain the biggest one

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

It was my fourth birthday - I was young and didn't know any better, let's just leave it at that. :mad:

There there... I was an MJ nut too... well into almost my late teens! :shifty:

I even like a few of his later songs like the beautiful Stranger In Moscow and the very danceable Blood On The Dance Floor. :shifty:

:tsk:

:wink:

Anyone doubting MJ's influence/relevance need to look no further than Justin Timberlake. Practically a reincarnation. And they're both white!

Zootlesque said:

LMAO! No fucking way! Jacko may be a wacko but he was truly the king of pop back in the day!

White again! I mean...right! I'm not a member of his fan club, but Justin Timberlake is supremely talented. As good as he is, though, it's Michael who deserves legend-status props for originating the ultra high-pitched "Heee heeee," and "OWW!"

If someone says James Brown did that first, I'll have to break your neck. :D

I will agree that MJ's annoying grunts, screeches and made-up words make it hard to talk about his musicianship seriously, but even so ...

... Justin WISHES he could be as big as Jackson was.

He clearly looks up to Jackson, but the problem is that being famous is pretty much all there is to MJ. Not a great songwriter, not a musician, not a great singer. He can dance. Big fucking deal.

I'll also add that Futuresexx/Lovesounds has a hell of a lot more cohesion than Thriller, and even if the individual tracks don't stand out as much, there are at least 5 killer tunes on it, and it's a more impressive overall album. And I understand that Timbaland is a big reason for that.

I guess that's why we keep butting heads on this - I'll take an album that has 8 killer tracks over an album that has 4 great tracks but has more "cohesion."

I'm more about the songs themselves than an overall album. :)

But I do like Timberlake a lot more than I ever thought I would. I enjoy his singles a lot.

Zootlesque said:

Don't forget shamon... whoever he is.

:lol: Heee heee! I forgot about that...maybe he's a distant cousin, or someone he holds great reverence for.

No spoken words said:
...A 4 hour film about Michael Jackson, with Tom Hanks in some sort of key role, directed by Steven Spielberg.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

You're counting Baby Be Mine and The Lady in My Life as killer tracks?

I think FutureSex, SexyBack, My Love, LoveStoned/I Think That She Knows, What Goes Around..., Damn Girl, Chop Me Up, and Until the End of Time are all awesome. Summer Love and Another Song... are both decent, the only real clunker being Losing My Way. Now granted he doesn't have 7 Top 10 songs, but that's virtually impossible in today's market anyway. This album has more great hooks than any pop/R&B album I've heard in years.

The reason I love this album so much is that he isn't just taking direction from MJ; there's a distinct Prince influence on the album that really expands JT's palette--he's willing to challenge his audience a bit with some more abrasive sounds and a variety of style that defies easy categorization. Just check out that guitar part that segues between LoveStoned and I Think That She Knows--that hits something much deeper than your standard party music.

No spoken words said:
Laz's worst nightmare:

A 4 hour film about Michael Jackson, with Tom Hanks in some sort of key role, directed by Steven Spielberg.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom