Three Cocks, Wales Superthread - Page 61 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #901
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
I took off my denim jacket, Ax - I remembered how the teenage Spartans wore only a cloak while living in mountains during winter, and well I'm in a fucking house in Autumn so I may as well not be such a Gridiron player.
WIN.

Incidentally, the Maj. and I were looking at posters last week, trying to find good eighties U2 ones and we came across one for 300 that made us think of you and how you were probably taking notes about all the inaccuracies. "That sword had fallen out of use a century earlier ... that helmet was not used for another three decades ... THAT SHIELD IS ROMAN!"

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #902
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:24 PM
hi hi! just popping in for a tick. sup?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #903
Vocal parasite

Hey Mizza!

We're trying to reach a new thread before the night's out. How are you today?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 AM   #904
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
What's your closest weather station? I'm in between Essendon Airport and the central one.
I think Moorabbin airport is the closest to here...

yes, it says 11.2C, but the apparent temp is 6.5! That's a heck of a steep gradient from a comfortable body temperature.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #905
Blue Crack Supplier

Hey Mia!

*clings for warmth*
Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #906
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Hey Mizza!

We're trying to reach a new thread before the night's out. How are you today?
doin aiight. i've got a busy day ahead. i'm prolonging starting it, of course
Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #907
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura
Hey Mia!

*clings for warmth*

oooh hello there!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #908
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I think Moorabbin airport is the closest to here...

yes, it says 11.2C, but the apparent temp is 6.5! That's a heck of a steep gradient from a comfortable body temperature.
Apparent temperature at Essendon Airport is 6.8, and central is 9.2. Let's talk about cold when it drops below 5.

I do, however, have a blanket on my bed. And my hands feel rather chilly right now.

I miss Wellington winters, sitting by the fireplace ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #909
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

doin aiight. i've got a busy day ahead. i'm prolonging starting it, of course
I could have a busy evening, but I'd rather not, so I'm sitting here, postwhoring it up and listening to - surprise surprise - Porcupine Tree.

After U2, I swore I'd never get fanladdish about another band again. Then I realised there's only two Porcupine Tree songs I don't like out of nine studio albums and countless non-album releases ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #910
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Quote:

WIN.

Incidentally, the Maj. and I were looking at posters last week, trying to find good eighties U2 ones and we came across one for 300 that made us think of you and how you were probably taking notes about all the inaccuracies. "That sword had fallen out of use a century earlier ... that helmet was not used for another three decades ... THAT SHIELD IS ROMAN!"

I hate to say it, but the helmet, sword and shield, though completely stylised, do have some basis in a 5th century BC hoplite army. The helmet the Spartans wear in the film is a shit version of the usually beautiful Corinthian helmet, the sword is based off of the kopis ('chopper' - top in image) and the shields are the right shape and we see them kind of used correctly maybe once in the film, but no way would they be made completely out of bronze (they were oak with a bronze layer on the top) and that lamvtha shield design is anachronistic! Of course, that's just the beginning of it... however, to be honest, I didn't act this way when I watched the film, because I was keeping a close eye on it and still looked forward to it. I actually loved it the first time I watched it, though that was when the hype was still big.

Oops sorry I'm a nerd.

... Did you find any good 80s U2 posters?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #911
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I do, however, have a blanket on my bed. And my hands feel rather chilly right now.

I miss Wellington winters, sitting by the fireplace ...
Bloody males and their higher bloody body temperature... *mutters*

Hey, there was a thing on the news just now about some giant frozen squid someone found... must have been near NZ cos it's going on display in a NZ museum at some point.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #912
Blue Crack Addict

Hey Mia! How are you?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #913
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
I hate to say it, but the helmet, sword and shield, though completely stylised, do have some basis in a 5th century BC hoplite army. The helmet the Spartans wear in the film is a shit version of the usually beautiful Corinthian helmet, the sword is based off of the kopis ('chopper' - top in image) and the shields are the right shape and we see them kind of used correctly maybe once in the film, but no way would they be made completely out of bronze (they were oak with a bronze layer on the top) and that lamvtha shield design is anachronistic! Of course, that's just the beginning of it... however, to be honest, I didn't act this way when I watched the film, because I was keeping a close eye on it and still looked forward to it. I actually loved it the first time I watched it, though that was when the hype was still big.

Oops sorry I'm a nerd.
You're awesome. And probably far more entertaining to everyone than the train/plane banter Ian and I have going. Also, that Corinthian helmet is neat - except for the lino floor coming out of the top!

Quote:
... Did you find any good 80s U2 posters?
A Rattle And Hum one we were both tempted to buy, but held off. I'm thinking of finding and buying it tomorrow, though. I said that if I found a pre-JT one, I'd buy it straight away, but no such luck.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 AM   #914
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Hey, there was a thing on the news just now about some giant frozen squid someone found... must have been near NZ cos it's going on display in a NZ museum at some point.
I just read an article about that. Apparently the crew defrosting it (which they've been doing for a while) snacked on some of another preserved mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni, apparently for a scientific study! Apparently it didn't taste that bad, must have been big calamari rings. I've heard of scientists doing that with other frozen prehistoric animals too, it's a little gross, really.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #915
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Males have a higher body temperature?

Well, I did go to school in shorts and t-shirt in -5C in New Zealand when I was little ...

Quote:
At least it's not a giant frozen sheep, or I'd never hear the end of it ...

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread