Three Cocks, Wales Superthread - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #526
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
(And "codswallop" is a fucking cool word.)
It is. Nearly as cool as "discombobulated".

Anyway, I need to go to sleep.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #527
Vocal parasite

What, you're all leaving? The dominos have fallen ...

G'night, Ali!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #528
Vocal parasite

I wish those Porcupine Tree bastards had done a fourth Aussie gig, like in Adelaide or somewhere. Despite how dead my legs are, I'm sitting here wishing I could go to another gig.

And this is a dead thread.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #529
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 PM
Thanks to all the PT talk around here, I've been listening to them nonstop lately.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #530
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Thanks to all the PT talk around here, I've been listening to them nonstop lately.
Nice.

Just to add to your listening experience, you might want to check out this brief thread on my LJ: http://axver.livejournal.com/403951....7695#t19827695

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #531
Blue Crack Addict

Ah, there's a link there. I'll have to take a listen after work tonight.

I've been going through a lot of the early stuff, and I was surprised to find that the Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape compilation has songs that are far superior to some that made it onto On The Sunday Of Life. How he chose some of the songs perplexes me.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #532
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Ah, there's a link there. I'll have to take a listen after work tonight.

I've been going through a lot of the early stuff, and I was surprised to find that the Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape compilation has songs that are far superior to some that made it onto On The Sunday Of Life. How he chose some of the songs perplexes me.
You should enjoy it. It's the whole Sydney show, unfortunately in one track.

And I second your thoughts re: OTSOL/YHD. I think Delirium's original idea to release OTSOD as a double album of all the material was probably the best in hindsight. Perhaps at the time it wouldn't have been so smart - a totally unknown band debuting with a double album doesn't seem like the best way to be accessible and gather a fanbase.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #533
Blue Crack Addict

I think SW was on the right track, picking what he thought the best songs were for the album. He just didn't choose all the right ones.

I don't know if there were copyright issues by using The Cross, but obviously that with Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape should have been on there. Other standouts like Mute and No Reason To Live, No Reason To Die also deserved a better fate.

It's unfortunate that he has stated there are no plans to re-release any of that material. Proper remixing and remastering would make a song like Mute even more incredible once you edit out the awkward middle portion.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #534
Vocal parasite

I wonder if part of it was that at the time, PT was still a mythical/"joke" band. Some of the selections fit with the PT myth that SW had invented and make sense in that context.

And I hadn't seen that he's stated there is no plan to re-release the earliest stuff. That's a bit disappointing. I'd love to see some of it revisited. Surely he doesn't think all of it is a write-off now?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #535
Vocal parasite

Alright, I'm out for the night. Have a good one, folks.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #536
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I wonder if part of it was that at the time, PT was still a mythical/"joke" band. Some of the selections fit with the PT myth that SW had invented and make sense in that context.

And I hadn't seen that he's stated there is no plan to re-release the earliest stuff. That's a bit disappointing. I'd love to see some of it revisited. Surely he doesn't think all of it is a write-off now?
I sure hope not, but in his foreword to his discography online, he says, and I quote:

Quote:
One question I get asked a lot is whether such and such a single/album will be reissued. Well,
there are some things that are long out of print that if I have my way will never been in print again
- sorry to collectors if that's frustrating, but I don't suppose it helps for me to point out that this
music is not very good? No, thought not - I guess I already undermined my own argument there
with that first paragraph. Some of the early No-Man material will never be reissued and the music
on Porcupine Tree's Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is unlikely to ever make a comeback on CD (to
me the hit and miss bedroom experiment aspect makes it's more suited to its current vinyl
incarnation). Can't see Spiral Circus ever making another appearance either.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #537
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:11 PM
Good morning, thread.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #538
Blue Crack Addict

Looks like I'm alone in here.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #539
Blue Crack Addict

And that means I won't be here for long.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #540
Blue Crack Addict

As soon as the shower's free I'll be off.

Tags
superthread