Three Cocks, Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sad Punk said:
I took off my denim jacket, Ax - I remembered how the teenage Spartans wore only a cloak while living in mountains during winter, and well I'm in a fucking house in Autumn so I may as well not be such a Gridiron player.

:lmao: WIN.

Incidentally, the Maj. and I were looking at posters last week, trying to find good eighties U2 ones and we came across one for 300 that made us think of you and how you were probably taking notes about all the inaccuracies. "That sword had fallen out of use a century earlier ... that helmet was not used for another three decades ... THAT SHIELD IS ROMAN!"

Hey Mizza! :wave:

We're trying to reach a new thread before the night's out. How are you today?

Alisaura said:

I think Moorabbin airport is the closest to here...

yes, it says 11.2C, but the apparent temp is 6.5! That's a heck of a steep gradient from a comfortable body temperature. :p

Apparent temperature at Essendon Airport is 6.8, and central is 9.2. Let's talk about cold when it drops below 5. :wink:

I do, however, have a blanket on my bed. And my hands feel rather chilly right now.

I miss Wellington winters, sitting by the fireplace ... :sigh:

unico said:

doin aiight. i've got a busy day ahead. i'm prolonging starting it, of course :wink:

I could have a busy evening, but I'd rather not, so I'm sitting here, postwhoring it up and listening to - surprise surprise - Porcupine Tree.

After U2, I swore I'd never get fanladdish about another band again. Then I realised there's only two Porcupine Tree songs I don't like out of nine studio albums and countless non-album releases ...

Axver said:

:lmao: WIN.

Incidentally, the Maj. and I were looking at posters last week, trying to find good eighties U2 ones and we came across one for 300 that made us think of you and how you were probably taking notes about all the inaccuracies. "That sword had fallen out of use a century earlier ... that helmet was not used for another three decades ... THAT SHIELD IS ROMAN!"

:lol:

I hate to say it, but the helmet, sword and shield, though completely stylised, do have some basis in a 5th century BC hoplite army. The helmet the Spartans wear in the film is a shit version of the usually beautiful Corinthian helmet, the sword is based off of the kopis ('chopper' - top in image) and the shields are the right shape and we see them kind of used correctly maybe once in the film, but no way would they be made completely out of bronze (they were oak with a bronze layer on the top) and that lamvtha shield design is anachronistic! Of course, that's just the beginning of it... however, to be honest, I didn't act this way when I watched the film, because I was keeping a close eye on it and still looked forward to it. I actually loved it the first time I watched it, though that was when the hype was still big.

Oops sorry I'm a nerd.

... Did you find any good 80s U2 posters? :wink:

Axver said:
I do, however, have a blanket on my bed. And my hands feel rather chilly right now.

I miss Wellington winters, sitting by the fireplace ... :sigh:
Bloody males and their higher bloody body temperature... *mutters*

Hey, there was a thing on the news just now about some giant frozen squid someone found... must have been near NZ cos it's going on display in a NZ museum at some point.

The Sad Punk said:
I hate to say it, but the helmet, sword and shield, though completely stylised, do have some basis in a 5th century BC hoplite army. The helmet the Spartans wear in the film is a shit version of the usually beautiful Corinthian helmet, the sword is based off of the kopis ('chopper' - top in image) and the shields are the right shape and we see them kind of used correctly maybe once in the film, but no way would they be made completely out of bronze (they were oak with a bronze layer on the top) and that lamvtha shield design is anachronistic! Of course, that's just the beginning of it... however, to be honest, I didn't act this way when I watched the film, because I was keeping a close eye on it and still looked forward to it. I actually loved it the first time I watched it, though that was when the hype was still big.

Oops sorry I'm a nerd.

:laugh: You're awesome. And probably far more entertaining to everyone than the train/plane banter Ian and I have going. Also, that Corinthian helmet is neat - except for the lino floor coming out of the top!

... Did you find any good 80s U2 posters? :wink:

A Rattle And Hum one we were both tempted to buy, but held off. I'm thinking of finding and buying it tomorrow, though. I said that if I found a pre-JT one, I'd buy it straight away, but no such luck.

Alisaura said:

Hey, there was a thing on the news just now about some giant frozen squid someone found... must have been near NZ cos it's going on display in a NZ museum at some point.

I just read an article about that. Apparently the crew defrosting it (which they've been doing for a while) snacked on some of another preserved mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni, apparently for a scientific study! Apparently it didn't taste that bad, must have been big calamari rings. I've heard of scientists doing that with other frozen prehistoric animals too, it's a little gross, really.

Alisaura said:

Males have a higher body temperature?

Well, I did go to school in shorts and t-shirt in -5C in New Zealand when I was little ...

At least it's not a giant frozen sheep, or I'd never hear the end of it ...

The Sad Punk said:

I just read an article about that. Apparently the crew defrosting it (which they've been doing for a while) snacked on some of another preserved mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni, apparently for a scientific study! Apparently it didn't taste that bad, must have been big calamari rings. I've heard of scientists doing that with other frozen prehistoric animals too, it's a little gross, really.

So when the sea is fished clean, we can resort to preserved prehistoric sealife?

Alisaura said:
I don't think I've ever seen a pre-JT U2 poster at one of those sales...

The Maj. said he'd seen a JT one before, so we tried to find that, but I kept holding out hopes for a UABRS one or something along those lines.

Though I do have 11OTT and UABRS lithographs already. They need to be framed but that costs money ...

The Sad Punk said:
Mammoth was quite the delicacy on European menus for a while there, when they were finding them frozen in Russian glaciers or permafrost or something.

Not sure I'd be that keen, myself... :huh:

Axver said:
The Maj. said he'd seen a JT one before, so we tried to find that, but I kept holding out hopes for a UABRS one or something along those lines.
I've got a JT one, Bono crouched onstage in what looks like a German stadium or something like that.

Axver said:
:laugh: You're awesome. And probably far more entertaining to everyone than the train/plane banter Ian and I have going. Also, that Corinthian helmet is neat - except for the lino floor coming out of the top!
:lol: Oh, thanks - I can assure you, I'm not always talking about ancient civilisations and stuff, maybe after a few drinks or if I'm riled up or if someone asks, or if I'm bored... that's all. :wink:

As for the Corinthian, I agree that pattern is a little gaudy, but there were many different ones used. Checker patterns like that were common, probably sometimes even painted right onto the helmet itself - but you also had the standard Greek zig-zags and squarey things and other designs I don't really know the names of. That particular crest would probably be elongated a bit more, and was worn by Spartan officers, presumably. The king, like Leonidas (who was actually about 60 when he fought at Thermopylai - not exactly Gerard Butler and probably with no Scottish accent) would have an even larger crest. There were quite a few interesting crests and helmets, people are still learning things about them and coming up with theories today.

That helmet, by the way, is made at an armoury in Melbourne. It's considered one of the best reproduction armouries in the world today, I think I'll have a visit when I go over.

A Rattle And Hum one we were both tempted to buy, but held off. I'm thinking of finding and buying it tomorrow, though. I said that if I found a pre-JT one, I'd buy it straight away, but no such luck.

That sounds like a good plan, any 80s U2 poster would be pretty good, I imagine. A Big Star store here once had a pretty swell array of U2 posters seemingly from the late eighties, but I didn't buy any. I feel like a tool now cause that was like four years ago and I wouldn't mind having one of them up, even though I'm usually against having posters up in my room unless they're old propaganda posters or art prints.

Last edited:
Alisaura said:

I've got a JT one, Bono crouched onstage in what looks like a German stadium or something like that.

I think the one the Maj. had seen was one of the band in the Arizona desert looking like bogans.

Alisaura said:

I think I have the same one. Black and white, showing him from the side on the right? Looks like daytime?

posted by Mia fuck yea!
Bonnie!!!

:wave: 'Chu been up to?

Also, I really need to reread my psots, again. I used 'apparently' about fifty fucking times in another one before. I'll blame it on the fact I didn't go to Tafe today.

The Sad Punk said:
:lol: Oh, thanks - I can assure you, I'm not always talking about ancient civilisations and stuff, maybe after a few drinks or if I'm riled up or if someone asks, or if I'm bored... that's all. :wink:
Ancient civilisations > trams

:wink:

That helmet, by the way, is made at an armoury in Melbourne. It's considered one of the best reproduction armouries in the world today, I think I'll have a visit when I go over.
There's a reproduction armoury here?! :ohmy: Let me know when you visit, that would be cool to see. I liked seeing the blacksmiths at places like Sovreign Hill or that one in Swan Hill...

The Sad Punk said:
I think I have the same one. Black and white, showing him from the side on the right? Looks like daytime?
Yep, that's the one. :yes:

I just got tired... I think I'll go now and try to get 8 hours sleep. I've decided that 7 hours is exactly the wrong number of hours I can sleep... 8 is great, I'm fine with 6... but 7 just leaves me out of sorts and cranky all day.

Seeya dudes :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom