Three Cocks, Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
major_panic said:
I've always been sooooo tempted to do that, just to see what would happen.
Probably something revoltingly ironic like sudden death with no warning. Just mocking laughter in your ears as you descend... :wink:

Alisaura said:

Do people tend to assume that to read the Bible is to believe it/be converted? How curious.

It seems so! It worked the reverse for me. The more I read the Bible, and the more I investigate it in a scholarly manner, the less I'm inclined to take any of its claims seriously.

Also, it's appropriate we're having this conversation while I listen to Halo live from Sydney ...

For the Maj.'s benefit, this is PT's Halo. Enjoy the sarcasm.

God is in my fingers, God is in my head
God is in the trigger, God is in the lead

God is in the cellphone, God is on the 'net
God is in the warning, God is in the threat

God is freedom, God is truth
God is power, God is proof
God is fashion, God is fame
God gives meaning, God gives pain

You can be right like me!
With God in a hole, you're a righteous soul
I've got a halo 'round me
I'm not the same as you
'Cause I've seen the light and I'm gaining in height now
I've got a halo 'round my head

Alisaura said:

Definitely highlight of the Melb show, for me! :up:

I think the highlight of my PT jaunt would have to be Even Less in Brisbane. Anesthetize just about melted my face in Brisbane too.

As for Melbourne, I think the highlight for me was Dark Matter or A Smart Kid. Or Trains - that was the best Trains of the three.

Axver said:
I think the highlight of my PT jaunt would have to be Even Less in Brisbane. Anesthetize just about melted my face in Brisbane too.
Perhaps you misinterpreted SW's pointing at that show...

SW: *thinks while singing* Dear gods, his face has melted! Get this guy an ambulance!!

Alisaura said:

So THAT'S what he was saying... *makes note*

Well, the official website says "with God in the hole", but I've always thought he sings the indefinite article.

And I've discovered I've been singing a couple of PT lyrics wrong! :lol:

Most glaring example is Anesthetize. My version:
Only apathy from the pills in me
It's all we really need
Electricity from the pills in me
It's all we really need
Only MTV, cult philosophy

Turns out it's actually:
Only apathy from the pills in me
It's all in me, all in you
Electricity from the pills in me
It's all in me, all in you
Only MTV, cod philosophy

Frankly, I prefer my version, and if he can't spell the title right, why should I get the lyrics right ...! :wink:

Alisaura said:

Perhaps you misinterpreted SW's pointing at that show...

SW: *thinks while singing* Dear gods, his face has melted! Get this guy an ambulance!!

:lol:

The sound in Brisbane was just SENSATIONAL. I've never heard a live gig sound as good as PT's set. The middle section of Anesthetize just blew me away and I've never headbanged so much in my life.

Sleep Parade, however, sounded like total dogshit at all three shows. I was rather bored of them by Brisvegas.

Goodnight, Maj.! :wave:

Axver said:
And I've discovered I've been singing a couple of PT lyrics wrong! :lol:
ZOMG ONOEZ!!! *flail* :wink:

Also; "cod philosophy"?! I know they're fond of their cod over there, but a whole philosophy on them??

Alisaura said:
Also; "cod philosophy"?! I know they're fond of their cod over there, but a whole philosophy on them??

Cod philosophy is a synonym for pseudo-philosophy, and according to Wikipedia, is derived from "codswallop".

(Yes, I had to look that up. I have heard "cod philosophy" before, but couldn't recall the precise meaning.)

(And "codswallop" is a fucking cool word.)

What, you're all leaving? The dominos have fallen ... :(

G'night, Ali! :wave:

I wish those Porcupine Tree bastards had done a fourth Aussie gig, like in Adelaide or somewhere. Despite how dead my legs are, I'm sitting here wishing I could go to another gig.

And this is a dead thread. :down:

Ah, there's a link there. I'll have to take a listen after work tonight.

I've been going through a lot of the early stuff, and I was surprised to find that the Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape compilation has songs that are far superior to some that made it onto On The Sunday Of Life. How he chose some of the songs perplexes me.

phanan said:
Ah, there's a link there. I'll have to take a listen after work tonight.

I've been going through a lot of the early stuff, and I was surprised to find that the Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape compilation has songs that are far superior to some that made it onto On The Sunday Of Life. How he chose some of the songs perplexes me.

You should enjoy it. It's the whole Sydney show, unfortunately in one track.

And I second your thoughts re: OTSOL/YHD. I think Delirium's original idea to release OTSOD as a double album of all the material was probably the best in hindsight. Perhaps at the time it wouldn't have been so smart - a totally unknown band debuting with a double album doesn't seem like the best way to be accessible and gather a fanbase.

I think SW was on the right track, picking what he thought the best songs were for the album. He just didn't choose all the right ones.

I don't know if there were copyright issues by using The Cross, but obviously that with Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape should have been on there. Other standouts like Mute and No Reason To Live, No Reason To Die also deserved a better fate.

It's unfortunate that he has stated there are no plans to re-release any of that material. Proper remixing and remastering would make a song like Mute even more incredible once you edit out the awkward middle portion.

I wonder if part of it was that at the time, PT was still a mythical/"joke" band. Some of the selections fit with the PT myth that SW had invented and make sense in that context.

And I hadn't seen that he's stated there is no plan to re-release the earliest stuff. That's a bit disappointing. I'd love to see some of it revisited. Surely he doesn't think all of it is a write-off now?

Axver said:
I wonder if part of it was that at the time, PT was still a mythical/"joke" band. Some of the selections fit with the PT myth that SW had invented and make sense in that context.

And I hadn't seen that he's stated there is no plan to re-release the earliest stuff. That's a bit disappointing. I'd love to see some of it revisited. Surely he doesn't think all of it is a write-off now?

I sure hope not, but in his foreword to his discography online, he says, and I quote:

One question I get asked a lot is whether such and such a single/album will be reissued. Well,
there are some things that are long out of print that if I have my way will never been in print again
- sorry to collectors if that's frustrating, but I don't suppose it helps for me to point out that this
music is not very good? No, thought not - I guess I already undermined my own argument there
with that first paragraph. Some of the early No-Man material will never be reissued and the music
on Porcupine Tree's Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is unlikely to ever make a comeback on CD (to
me the hit and miss bedroom experiment aspect makes it's more suited to its current vinyl
incarnation). Can't see Spiral Circus ever making another appearance either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom