those with indie credibility visit here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zonelistener

ONE love, blood, life
Lets swap some new bands!

I was thinking of you guys this weekend (EP, Digi, Meggie, Yertle, jkayet, other close friends)!

Two bands to mention:

Goldenboy

out of California, they, not so odly, sound like Grandaddy. And, Elliot Smith worked on their latest "Blue Swan Orchestra." One of my friends married the bassist this weekend, unfortunately, the naked ceremony in a convenience store didn't work out do to the "pastor" shagging the best man. They divorced on Sunday.

explosions in the sky

yes, the name of the band sucks. But this Austin band, considered "post rock" (I hate these genres, but think Mogwai but with a little more of an harder edge). They put on one of the most amazing shows I have seen in a long time. They traveled with "..Trail of the dead."

Must listens!!!!

sleater-kinney
heavens to betsy
quasi
death cab for cutie
le tigre
elliott smith
excuse 17
the spells
cadallaca

some of you fans of poppier sort of stuff might want to look into the links to the school for the dead songs i posted in the mp3 thread.

school for the dead are a local band (northampton, ma). don't let the fact that i like them deter you from checking them out, they're miles away from the other bands i rave about on here.

notwist!

explosions in the sky just played in my town... tonight. but i missed it. damn. i shoulda gone.. i had work to do though, but then i ended up not doing it anyway, so... fuck.

the lassie foundation - my bloody valentine playing Beach Boy tunes, or something

starflyer59: shoeglazing, local favorite in L.A.

namedropping: eskimohunter releasing split-album w/ coco.b .. heard its good

:slant: dunno if I really know any more bands

I have no indie cred. But I will second the following:

neutral milk hotel
belle & sebastian
the decemberists
notwist
starflyer59
:up:

Meggie :angry: you ARE indie cred.

Skeek...you should have gone. :shrug: They will be back your way. Despite being from Austin, TX, the lead singers GF lives in Toronto, so they end up in Ontario a lot. We had a good long conversation about Toronto.

Soulful...what is Shoeglazing? I am not familiar with this new style of music. :shifty:

zoney! said:
Shoeglazing

:laugh: I didn't even notice that. Maybe it's shoegazing that's so shoegazing that your eyes glaze over while you're gazing? Or it's so depressing that your tears glaze your shoes? :shrug:

Shoegazing. It was coined in the late 80's/early 90's, to describe Uk bands like Ride, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Chapterhouse.
Layed guitars, breathy vocals, and dancy grooves. Oh, an most of the bands never looked at the crowed, just stared down at their instruments, or shoes.

Okay, I'm giving in. I can't resist a recommendations thread. But don't expect anything too obscure. I'm without Soulseek and friends to go to gigs with, so my music habits have been fairly stagnant.

Twin Atlas
The Russian Futurists
Calexico
Sufjan Stevens
Stars
AM/FM
Poor Rich Ones
Keane
Eastern Lane
Soundtrak
Pernice Brothers
The Zutons
Film School
A Nothern Chorus
Sleater-Kinny (just saw that Violet mentioned them)
Beulah
!!!
Enon
Bear Suit
Bikeride
Kid Galahad
thebrotheregg
Cornelius (but if you see them live, BEWARE THE BLINDING LIGHTS! :mad: )
Centro-Matic
Broken Social Scene

indie cred AND the best name ever:

....and you will know us by the trail of dead

afghan whigs/twilight singers

my indie cred got flushed when I discovered family life in the suburbs.....:wink:

But, im currently fascinated with The Shins (saw them last week). Also, due to my own recommendation thread Ive been into The Decemberists as well.
also worth mention
Notwist
My Computer
The Wrens (fabulous album)
!!!

Ok, I might just second some here...I can't think with all these band names flying at me! ;)
I have really gotten into 'Over the Rhine'....trying to explore the local music. :)

I agree especially on
the decemberists
gorky's
belle and sebastian

and these:

meegannie said:

Twin Atlas
Calexico
Stars
Keane
Eastern Lane
The Zutons
A Nothern Chorus
Beulah
Kid Galahad
Cornelius (but if you see them live, BEWARE THE BLINDING LIGHTS! :mad: )
i also second the recommendation to beware of the lights :crack:

I'll post more if i think of them....

Oh, and shoegLazing... :lmao:
I bet neil would have some corny joke about that, hehe...

i've heard of a lot of these bands

i thought if i'd heard of them that meant they weren't indie...

an album of by enon has been jumping off the shelf at the radio station at me recnetly. i mean literally, i always seem to knock if off the end when i'm going through the new stacks.

Back
Top Bottom