Those enchanting old men

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
I was thinking today about how AWESOME L.Cohen is and how much better he is than Bob Dylan.

Lets throw Clapton in here to stir things up.

Who do you prefer?

Clapton and his wife are having another baby
good thing he chose a woman who is still in her child bearing years

dylan has had a great impact on pop culture than anyone else, in terms of solo careers in the music business.

thats just my two cents.

dylan has been covered more than perhaps any other artist in history

his music was better than Cohen's, that's the big difference between the two, Clapton isn't even the best white blues guitarist of all time

Dylan's music pales in comparison to Cohen's.
Better voice, better song structures, better lyrics...

My :heart: will forever be with Leonard. He is absolutely, confoundingly brilliant.

Not that Dylan and Clapton are not, it's just that all 3 are so different, and approach their music just as differently.

yeah, yknow dylan.....hes got fabulous songs like Knockin on Heavens door, forever young, all along the watchtower(but hendrixs version is better), angelina...etc etc etc, but with some-a lot- of his stuff, i cant help feeling that its just poetry with a bit of guitar around it to make it more sellable.

i mean, his lyrics really are aweinspiring, think -desolation row-, but the music is pretty average really.

out of the three, id probly prefer Eric Clapton, just to listen to.

but talking of male artists....oh god i cant admit this- I WAY PREFER PHIL COLLINS TO ALL OF THEM! i know a lot of people dont like him, and im nota particular fan of the Disney stuff, but flipinn hell, Genesis, and him solo...are absolutely terrific!

He has got a hell of a voice, one of my faves, a great drummer, fantastic songwriter....and,i can see people are gonna laugh at this...but hes SHIT COOL!

well there it is, out in the open, maybe this should have gone in the Zoo Confessional!!

anyone other Phil/Genesis likers here??

PS Bruce Springsteen also is way better, i think than those three, but i guess, hes generally more acceptable to like!!plus...hes FINE! and tell me someone who doesnt like The River!!

Leonard Cohen is the coolest cat of the bunch. Clapton may be more successful, and Dylan may be more relevant in the history books, but Cohen is the sexiest, the most charasmatic, and the most savy of the three.

Danospano said:
Leonard Cohen is the coolest cat of the bunch. Clapton may be more successful, and Dylan may be more relevant in the history books, but Cohen is the sexiest, the most charasmatic, and the most savy of the three.

truer words have never been spoken!

First of all, Clapton shouldn't even be considered a peer of the other two. The only (male) peers to Dylan and Cohen are perhaps Tom Waits, Johnny Cash, Van Morrison, and Neil Young.

*first: I love early Cohen. I don't like late Cohen. And while I've only recently started to listen to him, I enjoy Dylan more every day*

As for Cohen, his music is powerful, and more complicated than Dylan's. He really stretches the boundaries of keys, and phrasing of melodies. His lyrics are more poetic in the traditional poetic sense... imagery, diction, rhythm, etc. He was a poet first, after all. His guitar skills are comparable with Dylan's, and while his voice was better, it's now probably just as bad (according to the normal standards of what makes a singing voice good) as Dylan's.

Dylan's music is just as powerful, yet simpler... that doesn't mean it isn't as good, however. His lyrics are poetic as well, but in a different sense. He's more metaphorical, and better suited to ballads... telling stories. His lyrics represented the time and the feelings of his generation, while Cohen's lyrics were more personal or obscure. Guitar skills are average, and that voice is a little sketchy, although at times was no worse than Corgan or Cohen.

The bottom line is Dylan is more prolific (more songs, more albums, longer career) and has had a greater influence (on musicians, on songwriting, on lyricists, on people). Cohen is for those who love deep lyrics, and interesting songs... usually the more discerning music listeners / artist types. But Dylan is for everybody... from the highbrow critics and artists to the average listener who loves Like A Rolling Stone and All Along The Watchtower.

I know that Cohen really enjoys Dylan, Morrison and Waits. He'd probably tell you that Dylan is better than him.

Back
Top Bottom